foul language

A forum not related to waterfowl for discussing the more controversial and hot topic issues in our world from immigration, politics, the war, etc..

Moderators: Smackaduck, MM

foul language

Postby swampwise » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:18 pm

i once heard a quote that says, "profanity is the crutch of inarticualte bastards." so as not to be contradictory, ill clarify that the use of the word "bastard" in this case is used according to the true meaning of "fatherless son". basically what the quote means is that the only people who feel the need to use profane language are the ones who cannot effectively get a verbal point across otherwise, so they think they have to induce a "shock factor" by using foul language.

am i the only one that agrees with this quote?
assateague wrote:
Indawoods wrote:I had a great, great aunt born with a vestigial tail. :lol3:

That was your great, great uncle. Tell him to turn around.
swampwise
hunter

Postby jaysweet3 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:31 pm

Man, I so badly, want to give the auto censor a good workout. I suppose it is like deflecting the original intent of an argument with ridicule.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby don taylor » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:31 am

That's one of the few things I agreed with George Carlin on. He said they are just letters assembled together and it was the context behind them that really held the power. Kinda like me Vs. a black dude using the word ******. It's all how you percieve it.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

Chairman- The Allegheny Chapter of Delta Waterfowl.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4277478 ... 6859634909
don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby pennsyltucky » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:03 am

im surprised that the forum doesnt censor that word.....
muleskinner wrote:you were born with a silver spoon in your mouth and a benalli in the other.
pennsyltucky
Forum Moderator

Re: foul language

Postby bluewing77 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:15 am

swampwise wrote:am i the only one that agrees with this quote?

or you could ask: are other people on DHC offended by such language? do other people on DHC wish it were rated G?
bluewing77
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:34 am

I use some words for emphasis that some would consider cursing. I don't consider it profanity, but I'm sure that some people consider me an inarticulate bastard. This is supposedly PG-13 and I think this sites autocensor is not too bad.

I'm on another forum and they have the PC censor. It is pretty annoying. You can't even use the word Mexican and a bunch of other silliness like that. BTW, it converts bastard to fish poo :no:
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby Admin2 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:51 am

I know some may question the PG-13 policy that we have in place, but here is how we look at it. DHC is prodominately adults. And the kids are to be 13 and older. Their parents can decide if DHC is aceptable for their children, as it should be. We do have auto censor on many of the adult swear words, so it is kept to a minimum. But that does leave at times topics with adults themes in them. There is a point that we have to draw the line somewhere, and PG-13 has been it for many years now. It satisfies the adults, as not too restrictive, and yet does not allow the harsher stuff in the world. Call it a happy medium that the mass majority can live with. But no matter what you do, there is always going to be someone that is going to object, either too restrictive or not enough.

The Deputy riding shotgun
Admin2
hunter

Location: lurking around the corner keeping an eye out for trouble makers

Postby CLUTCHfan » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:19 am

I wouldn't assume that just because someone uses profanities, that it means they cannot effectively communicate without them. I think believing that is another excuse for those that look down their noses at people who cuss to convince themselves they are smarter and better than them. I can get my point across without swearing, but sometimes, depending on who is around, it is much funnier and more colorful to use expletives. I do try to watch my language around children and women though.

I've heard alot of comedian's acts. There is something to be said about comedians that work clean, but the funniest and most interesting ones always seem to be the ones that work "blue". I think the same thing is true with people in general.
TNAL45 wrote:I like my beer like I like my violence....Domestic.
CLUTCHfan
Former DHC Ball Buster

Location: Behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore.

Postby jaysweet3 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:39 am

This is a bit off topic, but kinda funny. A couple of years ago my wife and I were participating in a community fishing derby. They stock a 15 acre lake with 1,000 flat heads, 300 of them have tags. The tags are numbered and have various prizes assocated with them, the grand prize is $5,000.

That 5,000 really gets a big turnout. There are people all along every foot of shore. I landed a couple, one had a $100 tag. Now this really gets my wife excited. She loves a game or a competition where there are prizes associated. She says she wants to bring in the next fish.

A few minutes go by and I see my line moving. I tell her to pick up the rod and just reel up the slack. (I was using a circle hook) She fights the fish close to shore, just as I am going to net it she horses it and breaks the line. Here is where the kinda funny part comes in. She screams ****!!! I look around us and see several families with children under 7. I just gave a shrugg and said, "Sorry we don't have children."

[edited by A2 for profanity--we do not allow that word or any variations of it on this site.]
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby CLUTCHfan » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:49 am

:lol: Nice.
CLUTCHfan
Former DHC Ball Buster

Postby bluewing77 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:10 pm

CLUTCHfan wrote:I wouldn't assume that just because someone uses profanities, that it means they cannot effectively communicate without them. I think believing that is another excuse for those that look down their noses at people who cuss to convince themselves they are smarter and better than them. I can get my point across without swearing, but sometimes, depending on who is around, it is much funnier and more colorful to use expletives.

everything has its proper time & place. this is another one of those threads where i had 2 or 3 GREAT replies that i ended up having to just delete.

SpinnerMan wrote:BTW, it converts bastard to fish poo

so does that make those of us who chose to use colorful language inarticulate fish poo?
bluewing77
hunter

Postby CLUTCHfan » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:55 pm

bluewing77 wrote:
CLUTCHfan wrote:I wouldn't assume that just because someone uses profanities, that it means they cannot effectively communicate without them. I think believing that is another excuse for those that look down their noses at people who cuss to convince themselves they are smarter and better than them. I can get my point across without swearing, but sometimes, depending on who is around, it is much funnier and more colorful to use expletives.

everything has its proper time & place. this is another one of those threads where i had 2 or 3 GREAT replies that i ended up having to just delete.

Great replies to my post or to the original? If they're to mine, let em rip :biggrin:
CLUTCHfan
Former DHC Ball Buster

Re: foul language

Postby dudejcb » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:42 pm

swampwise wrote:i once heard a quote that says, "profanity is the crutch of inarticualte bastards." so as not to be contradictory, ill clarify that the use of the word "bastard" in this case is used according to the true meaning of "fatherless son". basically what the quote means is that the only people who feel the need to use profane language are the ones who cannot effectively get a verbal point across otherwise, so they think they have to induce a "shock factor" by using foul language.

am i the only one that agrees with this quote?

Yes. Piss off!
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding?
dudejcb
hunter

Postby Rat Creek » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:43 pm

I agree with the “proper time and place” concept. Right or wrong, people judge you by your actions and words.

On occasion, I will correct someone on their really bad speech pattern. The most recent was two snowboarders in Colorado. They were lacing every sentence with F-bombs as they yelled across the slope to each other.

I approached them and said- "Hey guys, if you really f-ing want to make an f-ing impact with what you are f-ing saying, then you should f-ing use the word f- less often so that it has more f-ing impact upon the f-ing point you are f-ing trying to f-ing make. Do I f-ing make my f-ing self f-ing clear?"

Then I asked them if they thought I sounded cool. Of course they said no. I said this is exactly how people are viewing you right now. I doubt they changed their behavior much, but who knows maybe.

And my parting comment was- "okay f-ers, I’ll f-ing see you f-ing later." They just shook their heads.
Rat Creek
Rat Creek
hunter

Postby dudejcb » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:49 pm

Rat Creek wrote:I agree with the “proper time and place” concept. Right or wrong, people judge you by your actions and words.

On occasion, I will correct someone on their really bad speech pattern. The most recent was two snowboarders in Colorado. They were lacing every sentence with F-bombs as they yelled across the slope to each other.

I approached them and said- "Hey guys, if you really f-ing want to make an f-ing impact with what you are f-ing saying, then you should f-ing use the word f- less often so that it has more f-ing impact upon the f-ing point you are f-ing trying to f-ing make. Do I f-ing make my f-ing self f-ing clear?"

Then I asked them if they thought I sounded cool. Of course they said no. I said this is exactly how people are viewing you right now. I doubt they changed their behavior much, but who knows maybe.

And my parting comment was- "okay f-ers, I’ll f-ing see you f-ing later." They just shook their heads.

excellent!

In truth, using f-bombs routinely does show ignorance. However, there are situations where its use lends a certain exclamation value that other words don't quite match. If you get my f-ing drift.
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding?
dudejcb
hunter

Postby Rat Creek » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:51 pm

Hammer on finger :hammer: ....Perfectly acceptable time to let it fly in my book. :thumbsup:
Rat Creek
Rat Creek
hunter

Postby bluewing77 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:06 am

CLUTCHfan wrote:Great replies to my post or to the original? If they're to mine, let em rip :biggrin:

the original. soemtimes you can be a tough act to follow. :yes:
bluewing77
hunter

Postby CLUTCHfan » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:05 am

Thank You. :thumbsup:
CLUTCHfan
Former DHC Ball Buster

Postby grunt_doc » Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:51 pm

at times, the proper use of swearing needs a better grip on the English language than you might think.

Al Swearengen for the win! :thumbsup:
Texting is just a polite way to communicate whilst taking a dump.
grunt_doc
hunter

Postby Willie » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:54 pm

Man, @#%& this ^$&* :rofl: :smile: :yes:
Willie
hunter

Postby wackemstackem » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:33 pm

Ive met people on both sides of the fence.Educated smart people that use curse words to get their point across.The educated guy that likes to use words or phrases he thinks are intelligent and you wont understand..Like Tom*..and the poor slob that needs to curse for lack of better words or terms.
Personally...never trust a man that dont drink swear or do both.
It's my Island.
wackemstackem
muppet paster

Postby steelslinger » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:08 pm

CLUTCHfan wrote:I wouldn't assume that just because someone uses profanities, that it means they cannot effectively communicate without them. I think believing that is another excuse for those that look down their noses at people who cuss to convince themselves they are smarter and better than them. I can get my point across without swearing, but sometimes, depending on who is around, it is much funnier and more colorful to use expletives. I do try to watch my language around children and women though.

I agree totally, I am a Marine which is absolutely no excuse to swear, however, I do, probably more than I have to. On the other hand I am also an instructor, and being on the platform teaching I know that swearing is the first thing that will cause barriers between you and the students. As long as you know when it is acceptable and use it accordingly, I see nothing wrong with it. I know that there are those that have a strong Christian background who would disagree with me but that is my thought on the subject.
If you hunt WITH your children today, you won't hunt FOR them tomorrow
Put "em in the woods and keep 'em off the streets
gangrig25 wrote:SO YOU WANT A PAT ON THE BACK OR WHAT :huh:
steelslinger
Capt. Obvious

Postby SpinnerMan » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:44 pm

Swearing is useful when not overused. Someone that swears all the time looks like an idiot. but when someone that rarely swears let's one fly, everybody listens.

I heard my maternal grandmother swear only one time and I can guarantee I will never forget it. It was a holiday and all the grand kids (including me) we were getting way out of control and not listening. I forget exactly what she said but it included "damn it." After that you could have heard a pin drop and all the grand kids snapped to attention quicker than steelslinger's marines without another word needing to be spoken.

When I am reminiscing about my grandmother with some of my cousins, we often recount the time we made gram swear :rofl:
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby mydogearl » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:25 pm

for the record, i heard my dad drop the f bomb for the first time the other day! lol.
mydogearl
hunter

Postby TEAM WEBFOOTPOSSE » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:40 pm

i speak fowl all the time it goes something like this

honk honk quack quack takem :yes:
waterfowler20 wrote:
getemducks wrote:I am new to this but I think what you have there is a duck. :huh:

Are you crazy! That ain't no duck, thats one of'dem cackler gooses! :hi:
TEAM WEBFOOTPOSSE
hunter

Next

Return to Controversial Issues Forum