John Picks Palin

A forum not related to waterfowl for discussing the more controversial and hot topic issues in our world from immigration, politics, the war, etc..

Moderators: Smackaduck, MM

Postby Pacific Fisher » Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:13 am

Interesting read on what the top newspapers and GOP politicians from Palin's state have to say.
It will take a while to learn more about her political leadership from the folks in her home state.

2 Top Alaska Newspapers Question Palin's Fitness
stumble digg reddit del.ico.us news trust mixx.com Posted August 30, 2008 | 12:04 PM (EST)

Since yesterday's shocking arrival of Gov. Sarah Palin as John McCain's running mate there has been the usual cable news and print blathering about the pick from those who know little about her. But what about the journalists close to home -- in Alaska -- who know her best and have followed her career for years?

For the past 24 hours, the pages and web sites of the two leading papers up there have raised all sorts of issues surrounding Palin, from her ethics problems to general lack of readiness for this big step up. Right now the top story on the Anchorage Daily News web site looks at new info in what it calls "troopergate" and opens: "Alaska's former commissioner of public safety says Gov. Sarah Palin, John McCain's pick to be vice president, personally talked him on two occasions about a state trooper who was locked in a bitter custody battle with the governor's sister.

"In a phone conversation Friday night, Walt Monegan, who was Alaska's top cop until Palin fired him July 11, told the Daily News that the governor also had e-mailed him two or three times about her ex-brother-in-law, Trooper Mike Wooten, though the e-mails didn't mention Wooten by name. Monegan claims his refusal to fire Wooten was a major reason that Palin dismissed him. Wooten had been suspended for five days previously, based largely on complaints that Palin's family had initiated before Palin was governor."

A reporter for the Anchorage daily, Gregg Erickson, even did an online chat with the Washington Post, in which he revealed that Palin's approval rating in the state was not the much-touted 80%, but 65% and sinking -- and that among journalists who followed her it might be in the "teens." He added: "I have a hard time seeing how her qualifications stack up against the duties and responsibilities of being president.... I expect her to stick with simple truths. When asked about continued American troop presence in Iraq, she said she knows only one thing about that (I paraphrase): no one has attacked the American homeland since George Bush took the war to Iraq."

His paper found a number of leading Republican officeholders in the state who mocked Palin's qualifications. "She's not prepared to be governor. How can she be prepared to be vice president or president?" said Lyda Green, the president of the State Senate, a Republican from Palin's hometown of Wasilla. "Look at what she's done to this state. What would she do to the nation?"
Another top Republican, John Harris, the speaker of the House, when asked about her qualifications for Veep, replied with this: "She's old enough. She's a U.S. citizen."

Dermot Cole, a columnist for the Fairbanks paper, observed that he thinks highly of Palin as a person but "in no way does her year-and-a-half as governor of Alaska qualify her to be vice president or president of the United States.

"One of the strange things Friday was that so many commentators and politicians did not know how to pronounce her name and had no clue about what she has actually done in Alaska....I may be proven wrong, but the decision announced by McCain strikes me as reckless. She is not prepared to be the next president should something happen to McCain."

UPDATE: On Sunday the top story on the Anchorage paper's site carried the headline, "Palin touts stance on 'Bridge to Nowhere,' doesn't note flip-flop." The Fairbanks paper has an article and a column on the same theme.

From the Saturday editorial in the Daily News-Miner in Fairbanks:

Sen. John McCain's selection of Gov. Sarah Palin as his vice presidential running mate was a stunning decision that should make Alaskans proud, even while we wonder about the actual merits of the choice.... Alaskans and Americans must ask, though, whether she should become vice president and, more importantly, be placed first in line to become president.
In fact, as the governor herself acknowledged in her acceptance speech, she never set out to be involved in public affairs. She has never publicly demonstrated the kind of interest, much less expertise, in federal issues and foreign affairs that should mark a candidate for the second-highest office in the land. Republicans rightfully have criticized the Democratic nominee, Sen. Barack Obama, for his lack of experience, but Palin is a neophyte in comparison; how will Republicans reconcile the criticism of Obama with the obligatory cheering for Palin?

Most people would acknowledge that, regardless of her charm and good intentions, Palin is not ready for the top job. McCain seems to have put his political interests ahead of the nation's when he created the possibility that she might fill it.

And from the editorial in the Anchorage Daily News:

It's stunning that someone with so little national and international experience might be heartbeat away from the presidency.
Gov. Palin is a classic Alaska story. She is an example of the opportunity our state offers to those with talent, initiative and determination...

McCain picked Palin despite a recent blemish on her ethically pure resume. While she was governor, members of her family and staff tried to get her ex-brother-in-law fired from the Alaska State Troopers. Her public safety commissioner would not do so; she forced him out, supposedly for other reasons. While she runs for vice-president, the Legislature has an investigator on the case.

For all those advantages, Palin joins the ticket with one huge weakness: She's a total beginner on national and international issues.

Gov. Palin will have to spend the next two months convincing Americans that she's ready to be a heartbeat away from the presidency....
Pacific Fisher
hunter

Postby seastreet » Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:29 am

Ahhh... Armchair Jihadist rears his ugly, hypocritical head on another site. Knew it wouldn't take you long to slither in. :rolleyes:

As for Palin.. While my mind isn't made up regarding her, she is the one who called for the investigation in this matter. She has also fired the surrogates responsible. Sounds to me that the trooper in question needed firing for bad performance and malfeasance on the job. I saw this from a native Alaskan...
FYI "Trooper Gate" is about her ex-bro-in-law that is a trooper. She (may have) tried to get him fired because:
1) He stated he would "like to put a bullet in his head" HIS being her father
2) Was seen by other troopers drinking in his squad car
3) tazered his 11 year old step son
4) shot a moose out of season
IMO she had every right to ask for his dismisal and the only reason he wasn't dismissed is because he had friends in the union. We'll have to see how the mass media plays that one.

The jury on Palin is out right now, but it seems she is indeed not one of the good ol' boys and has went against her own party numerous times regarding corruption and ethics. I read somewhere where 7 of the Republicans she took on for corruption are sitting in jail. So far, I like what I'm seeing from her. We will just have to let her go through a few wash cycles to see if she can stand her ground on the national stage. She is alot better than McCain IMHO.
Glimmerjim wrote: I may be slow but I'm dumb!
seastreet
hunter

Postby hankrt » Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:56 pm

I'm with you on that one Brydog, Mcbush has taken a calculated risk to try and round up all the ticked off Billary voters because she is female. I think this might just back fire on him, from what I have heard , most intelligent women out there are really ticked off at him for thinking that they are so stupid to just vote for someone with the same body parts that they have. And honestly, I agree with them, most women are smarter than to fall for such a ridicules situation. God help us if this guy does win the general election and then has heart failure and dies..........you think this countries in trouble now, just imagine that one, what a joke this election is turning into.
hankrt
hunter

Postby pennsyltucky » Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:28 pm

hankrt wrote:God help us if this guy does win the general election and then has heart failure and dies..........you think this countries in trouble now, just imagine that one, what a joke this election is turning into.

im am lookin forward to that day almost as much as the goose opener :thumbsup: id rather vote Palin/Mccain than McCain/Palin.... :hammer:
muleskinner wrote:you were born with a silver spoon in your mouth and a benalli in the other.
pennsyltucky
Forum Moderator

Postby hankrt » Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:16 pm

Yep me too, but we do differ on the vote.....Obama / Biden for me, I want strong leadership in the house, not a X model for all the unfaithful's to drool over.
hankrt
hunter

Postby pennsyltucky » Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:45 pm

hankrt wrote:I want strong leadership in the house, not a X model for all the unfaithful's to drool over.

lucky for us, we get both in one package. :thumbsup:
muleskinner wrote:you were born with a silver spoon in your mouth and a benalli in the other.
pennsyltucky
Forum Moderator

Postby native brookie » Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:20 pm

Since this is a duck hunting forum, let me try again.

Does anyone know what her record/position is on wetland conservation?
native brookie
hunter

Postby WisconsinWaterfowler » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:33 pm

Nope but I can promise you that she will do more than Obama. :thumbsup:
WisconsinWaterfowler
hunter

Postby captainduckhead » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:26 pm

She's a total hottie, she's from Alaska, she's into outdoor stuff. She has a 17 year old pregnant daughter. I love her!
Mojo Mallards are gay
captainduckhead
hunter

Postby devildog28 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:16 am

I've seen a couple posts on here pertaining to blue-collar workers, and how they're kind-of in the shadows and the unsung heroes of the American economy.

I think this romantized view is total BS. I'm sick and tired of this country making blue collar workers out to be victims of oppresive administrations. People like Obama are preying on the scewed beliefs like this for votes. People that work those jobs are there by choice! This is the land of dreams, anybody can better themselves.

I am further digusted with people that are so called "proud" of thier blue collar job and that those that went to college took the easy way out. I view it as trying to disguise envy and lasiness. But there are those people who love what they do and don't consider it a matter of class. It's just a career that they love. Those are the ones that should be examples of what's right.

Now before anyone starts bashing me, let me tell a little about myself. I work one of these "blue collar" jobs as a diesel mechanic, but also go to school full time. I spend most of my week covered in grease and sweat, and then stay up rediculously late studying for my BS. I'm able to do it and I'm about as normal as they come. Hell, I'm probably worse off than a lot of people, suffering from permanent head trauma amongst other injuries from a couple trips to the desert in the military.

In short if you're feeling sorry for where you are in life chances are that it's by your own actions, or lack of actions. And shut the hell up and do something about your CHOSEN lot in life.
devildog28
hunter

Postby Pacific Fisher » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:08 pm

Looks like Sarah wants pregnant teens to abstain from housing and support too.
C.B.

By Paul Kane
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/the-tr ... _help.html
ST. PAUL -- Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, the Republican vice-presidential nominee who revealed Monday that her 17-year-old daughter is pregnant, earlier this year used her line-item veto to slash funding for a state program benefiting teen mothers in need of a place to live.

After the legislature passed a spending bill in April, Palin went through the measure reducing and eliminating funds for programs she opposed. Inking her initials on the legislation -- "SP" -- Palin reduced funding for Covenant House Alaska by more than 20 percent, cutting funds from $5 million to $3.9 million. Covenant House is a mix of programs and shelters for troubled youths, including Passage House, which is a transitional home for teenage mothers.

According to Passage House's web site, its purpose is to provide "young mothers a place to live with their babies for up to eighteen months while they gain the necessary skills and resources to change their lives" and help teen moms "become productive, successful, independent adults who create and provide a stable environment for themselves and their families."

Palin's own daughter, Bristol, is five months pregnant and has plans to wed.

"Bristol and the young man she will marry are going to realize very quickly the difficulties of raising a child, which is why they will have the love and support of our entire family," Palin said in a statement released by the McCain campaign. "We ask the media to respect our daughter and Levi's privacy, as has always been the tradition of children of candidates."

Earlier today the Associated Press reported that Sen. John McCain (Ariz.), the presumptive Republican presidential nominee, opposed funding to prevent teen pregnancies, a position that Palin also took as governor. "The explicit sex-ed programs will not find my support," she wrote in a 2006 questionnaire distributed among gubernatorial candidates.

Reporters asked McCain in November 2007 whether he supported grants for sex education in the United States, whether such programs should include directions for using contraceptives and whether he supports President Bush's policy of promoting abstinence.

"Ahhh, I think I support the president's policy," McCain said
Pacific Fisher
hunter

Postby seastreet » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:41 pm

I also recall that Gov. Palin applied equal protection in vetoing a bill sent to her desk from the Alaskan legislature that would have denied health benefits to same sex partners of state employees. She has shown that she doesn't necessarily blend her religious beliefs with her civic duties as an elected official.
seastreet
hunter

Postby Pacific Fisher » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:21 pm

seastreet wrote:I also recall that Gov. Palin applied equal protection in vetoing a bill sent to her desk from the Alaskan legislature that would have denied health benefits to same sex partners of state employees. She has shown that she doesn't necessarily blend her religious beliefs with her civic duties as an elected official.

ok, ok so let me get this straight,

For unwed, pregnant teens in Alaska to get benefits they have to have same sex relationships with Alaska state employees?

What next proof of immaculate conception?
Pacific Fisher
hunter

Postby seastreet » Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:13 am

Pacific Fisher wrote:
seastreet wrote:I also recall that Gov. Palin applied equal protection in vetoing a bill sent to her desk from the Alaskan legislature that would have denied health benefits to same sex partners of state employees. She has shown that she doesn't necessarily blend her religious beliefs with her civic duties as an elected official.

ok, ok so let me get this straight,

For unwed, pregnant teens in Alaska to get benefits they have to have same sex relationships with Alaska state employees?

What next proof of immaculate conception?

I thought you were all for gay rights AJ? She applied equal protection for partners of same sex civil unions of state employees, by vetoing a bill that would have denied them.

I guess equal protection only gets credit when a Democrat applies it. As you have done for so many years AJ, you have jumped the shark in seeing how low your integrity is.

A lonely cave, somewhere longs for it's missing troglodyte.
seastreet
hunter

Postby Pacific Fisher » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:27 am

Sarah Palin said she had no idea what a Vice President does.
I guess **** Cheney filled her in - continue the course of helping out him and Bush's buddies in the "struggling" oil companies.
Pacific Fisher
hunter

Postby pennsyltucky » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:53 am

you will post anything you can find to blast her, regardless of how ridiculous it makes you look, wont you? you do realize that stupid attacks without ANY merit only galvanizes your opponent?
pennsyltucky
Forum Moderator

Postby Pacific Fisher » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:19 am

Palin dissed veep job
By MIKE ALLEN | 8/29/08 10:22 AM EST
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0808/12969.html

Count Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin as one of the most surprised that she was chosen as the running mate for Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.).

In an interview just a month ago, she dissed the job, saying it didn’t seem “productive.”

In fact, she said she didn’t know what the vice president does.
Larry Kudlow of CNBC’s “Kudlow & Co.” asked her about the possibility of becoming McCain's ticket mate.

Palin replied: “As for that VP talk all the time, I’ll tell you, I still can’t answer that question until somebody answers for me what is it exactly that the VP does every day? I’m used to being very productive and working real hard in an administration. We want to make sure that that VP slot would be a fruitful type of position, especially for Alaskans and for the things that we’re trying to accomplish up here for the rest of the U.S., before I can even start addressing that question.”

Her evident distaste for the office would be part of her appeal: It would show McCain is running an anti-Washington, reformist campaign.

But it also points to a huge negative for her: It robs Republicans of their most effective argument against Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.) — that he lacks experience.

Before Palin’s election in December 2006 as the state’s first woman governor, she served two terms on the city council of Wasilla, Alaska (population 6,700), and two terms as the mayor/manager of Wasilla.
Pacific Fisher
hunter

Postby pennsyltucky » Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:45 am

again, out of context to make her look stupid. it doesnt make HER look stupid.....

you dont know what a vp does either, nor does anyone else in washington except the vp himself. its not been her job to keep tabs on everyone else's job. she hasnt played the mutual-strokin game that you seem to want her to. the left talks about how the american people want change and not the same old politics, then they squeal like stuck pigs when the opposition actually delivers, completely jumping ship and now saying that you have to have all this DC experience to be in office... whatever. put your ridiculous politics aside, and see how great she really is. even if you dont agree with her stance, you have to agree that she is a great woman, and will make an excellent vp.

i only wish the left would stop trying to force us into communism and recession. your extreme views of "progressive" policies will end our country.
pennsyltucky
Forum Moderator

Postby Pacific Fisher » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:11 pm

So "maverick" McCain distanced himself from Bush by voting in favor of Bush 90% of the time?

McCain - Change the record does not reflect.
Pacific Fisher
hunter

Postby seastreet » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:29 pm

Pacific Fisher wrote:So "maverick" McCain distanced himself from Bush by voting in favor of Bush 90% of the time?

Like Obama did in voting WITH Bush in granting immunity to the telecos for spying on American citizens? Remember how much hell you raised about that? Or how about all the times the Dems voted to continue funding the war? Or is your selective outrage limit switches not pressed yet, merely for the fact that Obamessiah has a "D" beside his name? :rolleyes:

Spare us your selective diatribes of utter hypocrisy. :rolleyes:
seastreet
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:35 pm

Pacific Fisher wrote:So "maverick" McCain distanced himself from Bush by voting in favor of Bush 90% of the time?

So how often did Obama vote with Bush?

Considering that most votes are either virtually 100% or pary line votes, the vast majority of votes are meaningless. This doesn't mean much.

http://www.factcheck.org/askfactcheck/is_it_true_john_mccain_voted_with.html

Obama voted with bush about 40% of the time. That means of the remain 60%, McCain voted with Bush about 5 out of 6 times and against him about 1 out of 6. That's pretty large considering they are the same party. Especially if you consider that the man of "change" voted with his party a much higher fraction of the time.

Maverick score card
McCain - 1
Obama - 0
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby dudejcb » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:01 pm

I listened to her "speech" last night. She's a good public speaker but if you examine it objectively and analytically... she's weak on those issues that count for the country and she was all about small talk. I'm not sure her education or intellect are sufficient to learn on the fly; isn't that what we've done the last 8 years with HUGE success.

To her R credit she's not afraid to put words in other's mouths and then denounce them for those words, and she's not afraid to twist the truth in order to make herself looks better. The "no thanks to the bridge to nowhere" is a prime expample of doublespeak on two counts: first, she was for it and then against it; second, she flip flopped and said no to the bridge but took all the money... and an approach to the nowhere bridgeis is in the process of being built now. So much for the Straight Talk Express, John.

I will give the R's credit though. They are the world class when it comes to making false accusations, smear tactics, and getting behind whatever happens to have the spotlight for the moment and taking credit for it. That's great....
Last edited by dudejcb on Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding?
dudejcb
hunter

Postby pennsyltucky » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:05 pm

you are just trolling for responses... posting leftist talking points you see on the news... you are only making mccain supporters more steadfast in their views :thumbsup:
pennsyltucky
Forum Moderator

Postby seastreet » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:17 pm

pennsyltucky wrote:

you are just trolling for responses... posting leftist talking points you see on the news... you are only making mccain supporters more steadfast in their views :thumbsup:

In case you were wondering, he is the infamous California Flyway from TOS. Many wars have been waged over his ridiculous & hypocritical postinf style. He has even insulted members of the military many times. He is what most consider a real live Berkley, California, Vietnam era hippy. Just beware of the ground you tread on and understand that he attempts to lure you into making over the top statements so he can spread his disinformation without any resistance.
seastreet
hunter

Postby Pacific Fisher » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:22 pm

After the last eight years, the American public should demand more than the 10% of change McCain is offering.
Pacific Fisher
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Controversial Issues Forum