John Picks Palin

A forum not related to waterfowl for discussing the more controversial and hot topic issues in our world from immigration, politics, the war, etc..

Moderators: Smackaduck, MM

Postby native brookie » Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:40 am

Anybody know what Palin's record is on wetlands conservation?

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'd like folks at the EPA, Corps of Engineers, etc. who take wetland protection a little more seriously than the bunch we have now.
native brookie
hunter

Postby winters921 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:20 am

carlschmarl2 wrote:
winters921 wrote:i suggest we crack down on the illegal gun markets they ATF is doing a great job but more is always better

u are ignorant because u babble and need to get the facts straight its not as easy to get automatic guns as u make it sound

Don't let this left wing liberal give us other NY'ers a bad name. It's people like him that make NY one of the toughest states to obtain a CCW and we somehow still has the Clinton Ban in effect. NY also does not have any reciprocity to other states CCW's. No chit it’s not easy to get automatic guns...NY has an outright ban on them. It's hard enough for me to have an AR or any other style "Assault Weapon." The Hippie Liberals would rather take guns away than address the real issues of punishing those who use them against society. But heaven forbid we punish some scumbag ghetto kid for committing a gun crime The liberals would be all over that for not providing a better school system, better government assistance, better welfare, better health care so him and 15 of his fatherless siblings can all overcome the exceeding high pressures of society and living like a welfare ghetto thug. We all need to take a look at Virginia’s gun laws and how they prosecute those who commit gun crimes. It’s just like a Liberal to blame the GUN for a crime rather than the individual owning up for ones own crime…just pass the blame onto someone else. We need to start looking at the person holding the gun who is committing the crime…not the gun itself.

Carl

oo i hear ya on this one it sucks new york has the toughest gun laws around and i will never get a concealed pistol permit unless i become a police officer
winters921
hunter

Postby PL_duckhunter12 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:47 am

[quote="carlschmarl2"]

Why is it that they can’t make ends meet? How much over spending are they doing on other stuff? Stuff that they don’t really need. Give me a break. Sell the big boat, take less expensive vacations, don’t buy designer clothes, and get a second job. I don’t know, cut spending. Why do you think all this is the government’s fault?

you obviously don't have to deal with that because you are very well off, thats the impression i get
btw my family doesn't have a boat of any kind, we don't have a quad, i don't wear designer clothes, my parents already work a fulltime job, we don't take expensive vacations ever, we spend as little as we can

don't tell me that my family needs to cut spending and all this other BS when you probably have all of this stuff you're talking about

dems are for the people, reps are for themselves

and im not from NY so how could i give you a bad name, not liberal either, independent, i don't care what party their from as long as they are for me

my parents work their tails off for not a lot of money so don't tell me its our fault that its hard to make ends meet
let 'em go, let 'em grow
PL_duckhunter12
hunter

Postby hankrt » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:24 am

To Carl from New York, I am glad you are doing so well in New York, come to my wonderful State of Michigan and also Check out Ohio and you will see how many vacant homes there are and you will truly see the affects of 3.5 million jobs lost to Mexico, China, and abroad. It seems that you might be slightly out of touch with reality. But I am glad to hear your doing well. And no matter what I say, folks that never lived poverty will never get it, that's why I will never vote for Mcbush, My vote for Washington is still for Change.
hankrt
hunter

Postby Pacific Fisher » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:35 am

Has DHC ever thought about creating a political forum?
Political discussion can get pretty heated and controversial, especially in an election year.
What do you think Mods?
Pacific Fisher
hunter

Postby Puddler81 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:55 am

hankrt wrote:...that's why I will never vote for Mcbush, My vote for Washington is still for Change.

How can you say that you are voting for change when the Dems have had the majority in the House AND the Senate for the past two years, giving them the power to over rule the president on just about every decision he has made and yet have still failed to bring change. What in the world makes you think putting a Dem in office will change the status quo. People seem to forget that ours is a government of checks an balances. No, it doesn't always work, but you can't just blame the president. The blame needs to be spread over the legislative branch as well as the executive. Now, before I get blasted, let me state that by no means do I think Bush has done a great or even a good job, but I also don't think that the blame is being fairly distributed. The Democrats are just as to blame as Bush is.
Last edited by Puddler81 on Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Puddler81
hunter

Postby Pacific Fisher » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:02 pm

puddler 81 it requires a super majority to override a President.
A majority cannot override a President.
Do the math.
Last edited by Pacific Fisher on Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pacific Fisher
hunter

Postby Puddler81 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:04 pm

PL_duckhunter12 wrote:...my parents work their tails off for not a lot of money so don't tell me its our fault that its hard to make ends meet

Then I applaud your parents as it is my firm belief that they are in the minority.

I know that a majority of the people who are loosing their homes, are losing them because they didn't read loan paperwork on their adjustable rate mortgage. Or, saw that they qualified for a $400,000 home and didn't do the math to figure out if they could really afford a $400,000 house.
Puddler81
hunter

Postby rmh » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:06 pm

Jobs have been moving offshore or eliminated due to technology for a hundred years. Check out the door frame on a GM car, it'll have "Body by Fisher" on it. Fisher was a wagon maker, how many of those jobs are around? I worked for a glass company in the 70's and they were building plants all over the world and importing the bottles. Why? The wages and other costs of doing business were a fraction of here. This was a company based in Toledo, Ohio. Coal and steel production are 2 or 3 times what they were thirty years ago but the number of workers is 1/3. Mechanization of the processes. We haven't had a real national recession since the 1980's so an entire generation has grown up watching prices stay relatively stable, incomes rise and unemployment drop. Check out the statistics from 1978 or so through 1983. Inflation was running at 12%, interest rates were 17% (no cars or houses being bought) and unemployment at 10%+, twice today's rate. The last few years of housing sales was a result of a government policy put in place in the 90's to put more people in houses and historically low interest rates. You had no documentation mortgages, ARM's and people borrowing the down payment (which never used to be allowed). When my wife and I bought our house 20+ years ago we had to verify our income three times and felt lucky to get a conventional mortgage at 9%. If someone buys a house they can't afford what do you think will happen if he/she can't pay the mortgage? People have always worked hard-employers pay as little as they can to have workers, that's business. People have moved to the Sun Belt from the North East and Midwest over the last 20-30 years because the south was where jobs were and the other places were where the jobs weren't. Wage rates are almost always lower in rural areas, the only thing that has raised them where I am is the proximity to DC. This County used to be the poorest in MD, now it's one of the wealthiest and the foreclosure rate is through the roof. People have to have the $600K house, the Escalade/Benz/BMW/Lexus and all the symbols of the good life-flat screen TV's, vacation homes, private schools/colleges. They're paying for it now. That's not to say that is what your family has done, but a lot of what you see now is people who have vastly over extended themselves. And yes, I've lost jobs and been laid off from businesses that never came back.
2013 Totals
1 2003 Ford Focus (harvested by a 6 point whitetail)
1 1991 Chevy Lumina (harvested by a PT Cruiser)
rmh
hunter

Postby pennsyltucky » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:54 pm

Pacific Fisher wrote:Has DHC ever thought about creating a political forum?
Political discussion can get pretty heated and controversial, especially in an election year.
What do you think Mods?

http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/viewforum.php?f=101
muleskinner wrote:you were born with a silver spoon in your mouth and a benalli in the other.
pennsyltucky
Forum Moderator

Postby don taylor » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:57 pm

You want to lower prices, bring jobs back, cut inflation, and stimulate the economy?

Cut taxes!

We tax the hell out of companies, then tax our pay, then tax us when we buy something, then tax us on the supplies for it (gas for your car, for example) and we wonder why companies leave? when unions create job banks at GM or people want to create a special tax for the big oil companies. Who do you think pays that increase? We do! I know when the price of wire goes up, my customers pay more for me to wire their house. Why would you assume anything different would happen in big business?
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

Chairman- The Allegheny Chapter of Delta Waterfowl.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4277478 ... 6859634909
don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Smackaduck » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:03 pm

Pacific Fisher wrote:Has DHC ever thought about creating a political forum?
What do you think Mods?

We have one and Im moving it there. :thumbsup:
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby hankrt » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:20 pm

RHM, you are a wise man, I to recall the 70's and early 80's. I recall financing my 80 dodge pick up truck at 17 percent, and buying my first house in 1984 on a 15 percent land contract. I think the difference then was we had plenty of manufacturing jobs, granted, they weren't real high paying jobs but most people could at least make it fairly well. I recall starting out making $2.22 hour in 76 and thought I had the world by the behind. I even bought a 1978 Plymouth making those wages and still had a little to go to a movie once in a while and buy a few decoys for my first ever duck hunt.
It just seems to me that the leaders in Washington that we choose don't have a sense of understanding on what it's like to live week to week. They don't understand what it's like to eat Mac and Cheese with Hot Dogs for dinner, or, a can of beans with franks. I want a leader that knows what it's like to eat these great things, someone who knows what life's basic struggles are all about, these struggles to me build character, they re establish the basic understanding about what the majority of Americans are really all about.
hankrt
hunter

Postby rmh » Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:10 pm

Hankrt, thanks. If you look at the stats most of our federal officials are millionaires (that may be a bit misleading since some of that net worth may be in property values) as are a lot of our MD officials. Many are lawyers, some business people, very few "regular" guys. Truman, Eisenhower, LBJ, Nixon, Ford, Reagan and Clinton all grew up in lower middle class or poor circumstances. FDR, JFK, Carter and the Bushes were all more or less monied.
We had plenty of manufacturing and mining jobs then but you could see the writing on the wall. Pennsyltucky might remember C and K Coal Co. Biggest employer in western PA, closed down one Sunday night and never reopened. Along with hundreds of others. Unfortunately blue collar workers always get caught first in a recession, but now those jobs are gone. Increased productivity and off shoring are a lot of that. Along with environmental regulations, tax policy and a corporate culture that looks at next week's profit statement and not ten years down the road. I'm not a fan of Michael Moore but his first big film, "Roger and Me" showed a lot of that. One thing I learned working in industry is that a business owes loyalty only to it's stockholders. And those stockholders today are pension funds and 401Ks.
2013 Totals
rmh
hunter

Postby hankrt » Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:48 pm

RMH, you are so right. Profit and the mighty dollar when first in line on someones agenda totally clouds his or her sense of reality. And those working class blue collar folks that made it all happen for these executives are quickly forgotten and swept under the rug as the next opportunity for big bucks comes their way. As I mentioned earlier lack of money builds character, having money also builds character but in a very different way, counter productive to the needs of the middle class. I don't necessarily support a lot of Democratic policies, but what I do like about Barack Obama is his character, his ability to inspire all people, and he seems to be a guy that knows that compromise can work successfully for all parties. I also like the fact that he refused public funding monies / special intrest monies . and took a huge risk and put his faith in the average American that gives less than $100 to fund his campaign. Most donations are less than $25.00, I like that, I like a leader that works for us, the majority middle class.
hankrt
hunter

Postby rmh » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:19 pm

Be careful about assigning altruistic motives to Obama for refusing public election funds. He refused them, after saying he'd take them, because an acceptance would have limited his fund raising. I still haven't seen an Obama definition of "middle class", and that's a moving target anyway. For somebody at minimum wage (who pays no federal income tax anyway) someone making twice the minimum is rich. What gets folks at minimun is Social Security and state taxes. Any business tax increase will be passed on to consumers, always is. Businesses aren't tax payers they're tax collectors. I see you're from Michigan; according to MSN Money you're 14th in state tax burden and the jobs are still leaving. 50th is Alaska (oil royalties) and Vermont is 1st.
2013 Totals
rmh
hunter

Postby hankrt » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:48 pm

Yes, we are hurting severely in Michigan. The price of gas and Union labor costs and NAFTA have really put a major hurt on a state that is primarily Automotive driven. Barack has agreed to put Millions into the Automotive industry to develop the next generation of fuel efficient vehicles. I know that all politicians are driven by their own personal agenda, but I have been researching this guy for a long time and he seems sincere. I like his ability to cut through the crap and get down to business. That at times isn't the easiest thing to do but I have to give him credit for his will to say "No" to short term fixes or band aids. The other thing I like about him is he is going to go through the Federal Spending system and eliminate wasted spending to help pay for new programs. The Fed's still pay subsidies to groups today that were used in WW1 and WW2, some people are still being paid for these services, and the list is long and wasteful. Barack pulled out of Public financing because he is in this election to win, it was a risky move on his part, but a wise move. If you and I were in his shoes we would likley do the same thing. How is the economy in your area?
hankrt
hunter

Postby rmh » Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:16 pm

County unemployment just increased to 3.6%, the state rate is 4.4%. The school systems are bringing people from Africa and the Phillipines to teach. The nuclear power plant is getting set to build a 3rd reactor. In Baltimore GM shut down it's truck plant a couple years ago. Beth Steel has a foreign owner. Generally the DC area is not bad off. The people who are hurting are: spec home builders (lots of empties) and their trades people, other real estate related businesses in sales and investments, some banking (again the mortgage mess) and people who overpaid during the bubble. Some places have seen a 40% decline in value and the houses are still overpriced. The federal government here is a jobs machine, especially in homeland security. My buddy does backgrounds for the FBI as an indie contractor and could work 100 hours a week if he wanted. There is little traditional industry in this area any more, that was mostly in Baltimore and Western MD and it's mostly gone.
2013 Totals
rmh
hunter

Postby cjc » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:44 pm

hankrt wrote: And no matter what I say, folks that never lived poverty will never get it, that's why I will never vote for Mcbush, My vote for Washington is still for Change.

Your vote is for change huh. Tell me exactly what Badrack is going to change. Second, I have live in poverty. I had a job making less than 20K a year with a wife and kid. Believe me, when you have to look through the couch cusion for enough change to feed your family off the dollar menu at McDonald's, you know poverty. Under George W's administration I was able to go to school for FREE because the government paid for it because I was so poor. Now I have a degree and a great job and can eat steak at home. Why would I want change?

Score 1 for McCain
cjc
hunter

Postby Brydog » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:20 pm

McCains biggest complaints about Obama over the past 2 months have been related to lack of experience. Now he's chosen a woman (to try and pull the disgruntled Hillbillery fans) with no exposure or experience over to the Right. No one outside of Alaska ever heard of her until yesterday, and Mac only met her once in February. I told my ole' lady yesterday that McCain was desperate. Then I read this story today.
And just say George McCain wins this upcoming election tongue then croaks from all the excitement. What the hell is Mrs. Hottie going to do to run this country ??? She doesn't have a clue. I'm sure Shrubbie would be more than happy to help her out. biggrin

Palin is just another nail in George McCain's coffin !

OK,,, Spin it boys, Spin it good.
“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer God than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”
~Stephen Roberts
Brydog
Banned

Postby seastreet » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:57 pm

Brydog wrote:McCains biggest complaints about Obama over the past 2 months have been related to lack of experience. Now he's chosen a woman (to try and pull the disgruntled Hillbillery fans) with no exposure or experience over to the Right. No one outside of Alaska ever heard of her until yesterday, and Mac only met her once in February. I told my ole' lady yesterday that McCain was desperate. Then I read this story today.
And just say George McCain wins this upcoming election tongue then croaks from all the excitement. What the hell is Mrs. Hottie going to do to run this country ??? She doesn't have a clue. I'm sure Shrubbie would be more than happy to help her out. biggrin

Palin is just another nail in George McCain's coffin !

OK,,, Spin it boys, Spin it good.

This just proves that the clown left is worried shatless about Palin. They have jumped over themselves to attack this woman, when she has more executive experience than any of the other candidates, combined. She stole Obama's speech thunder, and that scares you. I think it is hilarious. :rofl:
Glimmerjim wrote: I may be slow but I'm dumb!
seastreet
hunter

Postby devildog28 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:21 am

PL duckhunter, you come across as someone that hasn't had the experience in the real world yet. In a previous post solely talked about your parent's experiences, not yours. Part of the reason your parents don't have more material possesions is that their tax money is going to help the worthless people of society. If we required them to get jobs and weaned them off the teat, life would be better.

You say that the dems are for "the people", they're only for the people that are gulible enough to get them into office. Which in this case is minorities and poor people on welfare. Those of us that do the work to make it on our own don't want anypart of raising taxes to help out those who don't help themselves.

I for one sternly oppose giving do-nothings more of my hard earned tax dollars do more "nothing" and buy nicer things.

Obama is good at using catch phrases but never once in his speeches has he outlined a plan.
devildog28
hunter

Postby CTRIVERDUCKHUNTER » Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:19 am

Has anyone gone back and read the posts on this topic? Most of you sound like uneducated country bumpkins that get their information from the country store and barber shop. Pick up a book or newspaper sometime. Oh hey, how about this one, graduate high school and go to college!
America is not at war,
The Marine Corps is at war,
America is at the mall.
CTRIVERDUCKHUNTER
hunter

Postby cjc » Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:57 am

devildog28 wrote:
Obama is good at using catch phrases but never once in his speeches has he outlined a plan.

:hammer: :hammer: Exactly, Obama is a real smooth talker, that's why he can get alot of young peoples votes, but they just don't realize that there is no point to any of his speeches.
cjc
hunter

Postby devildog28 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:43 am

CTRIVERDUCKHUNTER wrote:Has anyone gone back and read the posts on this topic? Most of you sound like uneducated country bumpkins that get their information from the country store and barber shop. Pick up a book or newspaper sometime. Oh hey, how about this one, graduate high school and go to college!

Hey now I'm finishing my second degree BS in Biology! :oops:
devildog28
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Controversial Issues Forum