Sly as a FOX...

A forum not related to waterfowl for discussing the more controversial and hot topic issues in our world from immigration, politics, the war, etc..

Moderators: Smackaduck, MM

Sly as a FOX...

Postby Brydog » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:04 pm

Fox News can lie!

Subject: FOX NEWS can Legally Lie

FOX News has legally argued in court that they have the right to LIE and
OBFUSCATE and won!

NEW WORLD COMMUNICATIONS OF
TAMPA, INC., versus JANE AKRE Case No. 2D01-529.
http://www.projectcensored.org/publi...s/2005/11.html

This is interesting and SCAREY!

Excerpt below:

"In February 2003, a Florida Court of Appeals unanimously agreed with an
assertion by FOX News that there is no rule against distorting or
falsifying the news in the United States.

"Fox" argued that, under the First Amendment, broadcasters have the right
to lie or deliberately distort news reports on public airwaves. Fox
attorneys did not dispute Akre's claim that they pressured her to
broadcast a false story, they simply maintained that it was their right to
do so."

So much for "Fair and Balanced" :rofl:
“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer God than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”
~Stephen Roberts
Brydog
Banned

Postby David » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:35 pm

Your link didn't work so I looked it up, here's the correct link.
http://www.projectcensored.org/top-stor ... gally-lie/

And here's the story it was about.

Back in December of 1996, Jane Akre and her husband, Steve Wilson, were hired by FOX as a part of the Fox “Investigators” team at WTVT in Tampa Bay, Florida. In 1997 the team began work on a story about bovine growth hormone (BGH), a controversial substance manufactured by Monsanto Corporation. The couple produced a four-part series revealing that there were many health risks related to BGH and that Florida supermarket chains did little to avoid selling milk from cows treated with the hormone, despite assuring customers otherwise.

According to Akre and Wilson, the station was initially very excited about the series. But within a week, Fox executives and their attorneys wanted the reporters to use statements from Monsanto representatives that the reporters knew were false and to make other revisions to the story that were in direct conflict with the facts. Fox editors then tried to force Akre and Wilson to continue to produce the distorted story. When they refused and threatened to report Fox’s actions to the FCC, they were both fired.(Project Censored #12 1997)

Funny how you failed to mention that it was a local Fox news report and not the National FOX News.
ImageImageImage
David
Lefty

Re: Sly as a FOX...

Postby greenhead14 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:38 pm

Brydog wrote:
So much for "Fair and Balanced" :rofl:

So that means ABC, CNN, and all the other liberal media can stretch it to. I wonder who they're trying to make look good. Wait, I know, Obama. You're right Brydog, so much for "fair and balanced". :lol:
greenhead14
hunter

Postby MT_2511 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:41 pm

David wrote:Your link didn't work so I looked it up, here's the correct link.
http://www.projectcensored.org/top-stor ... gally-lie/

And here's the story it was about.

Back in December of 1996, Jane Akre and her husband, Steve Wilson, were hired by FOX as a part of the Fox “Investigators” team at WTVT in Tampa Bay, Florida. In 1997 the team began work on a story about bovine growth hormone (BGH), a controversial substance manufactured by Monsanto Corporation. The couple produced a four-part series revealing that there were many health risks related to BGH and that Florida supermarket chains did little to avoid selling milk from cows treated with the hormone, despite assuring customers otherwise.

According to Akre and Wilson, the station was initially very excited about the series. But within a week, Fox executives and their attorneys wanted the reporters to use statements from Monsanto representatives that the reporters knew were false and to make other revisions to the story that were in direct conflict with the facts. Fox editors then tried to force Akre and Wilson to continue to produce the distorted story. When they refused and threatened to report Fox’s actions to the FCC, they were both fired.(Project Censored #12 1997)

Funny how you failed to mention that it was a local Fox news report and not the National FOX News.

I did the same as you and I also found it funny that he didn't mention it. :no:
MT_2511
hunter

Postby greenhead14 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:41 pm

David wrote:

Ya Brydog, why didn't you mention that. Maybe you aren't being "fair & balanced" :thumbsdown:
greenhead14
hunter

Postby Brydog » Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:18 pm

I couldn't find it. I found that lil' snippet at Snopes.com. and thats all there was. I wasn't tryin' to hide anything.
Thanks for posting that up David. I was wondering what it was in reference to. :thumbsup:
“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer God than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”
~Stephen Roberts
Brydog
Banned

Postby Redline29 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:00 pm

Brydog wrote:I couldn't find it. I found that lil' snippet at Snopes.com. and thats all there was. I wasn't tryin' to hide anything.
Thanks for posting that up David. I was wondering what it was in reference to. :thumbsup:

I will give you extra credit for always getting your ass kicked (post wise) and keep coming back for more. LOL!
20 Jan 2009...the beginning of an error.
Redline29
hunter

Postby DuckinFool » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:06 am

:lol:
Recession-neighbor loses job...Depression-you lose job...Recovery-Obama loses job.
Don't blame me.....I didn't vote for him !!!
DuckinFool
hunter

Postby dudejcb » Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:22 pm

When the other news outlets editorialize they make it clear that they are editorializing. FOX does not. I don't watch the FOX station in Tampa, but the network version of FOX behaves as if everything they put out is jounalistic gospel when in fact they insert editorialisms and omit exptra bits that would provide context and understaninding of reality.

Hell, Oreilly claimed he had won a Peabody! Of course he didn't, and resume embelishment always makes one fell better about one's self.
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding?
dudejcb
hunter

Postby Brydog » Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:48 pm

Redline29 wrote:
Brydog wrote:I couldn't find it. I found that lil' snippet at Snopes.com. and thats all there was. I wasn't tryin' to hide anything.

I will give you extra credit for always getting your ass kicked (post wise) and keep coming back for more. LOL!

Image... How does one become so ignorant, and so arrogant all at the same time? It seems to run rampant on the right side of this site....
~Stephen Roberts
Brydog
Banned

Postby Redline29 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:49 pm

dudejcb wrote:When the other news outlets editorialize they make it clear that they are editorializing. FOX does not. I don't watch the FOX station in Tampa, but the network version of FOX behaves as if everything they put out is jounalistic gospel when in fact they insert editorialisms and omit exptra bits that would provide context and understaninding of reality.

Hell, Oreilly claimed he had won a Peabody! Of course he didn't, and resume embelishment always makes one fell better about one's self.

What in the hairy blue hell are you talking about???
20 Jan 2009...the beginning of an error.
Redline29
hunter

Postby dudejcb » Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:10 pm

Redline29 wrote:
dudejcb wrote:When the other news outlets editorialize they make it clear that they are editorializing. FOX does not. I don't watch the FOX station in Tampa, but the network version of FOX behaves as if everything they put out is jounalistic gospel when in fact they insert editorialisms and omit exptra bits that would provide context and understaninding of reality.

What in the hairy blue hell are you talking about???

see. that's the problem. Despite some grevious typos, I think you understand what I said, but didn't understand what I was talking about. That's the problem. That's why you and your ilk are so easily fooled by R talking points.
dudejcb
hunter

Postby seastreet » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:02 pm

Damn dude... put down the crack pipe. Everyone knows O'Reilly, Hannity & Colmes are "subjective" commentary shows. But I'm sure you will defend that douchebag, Keith Olberman, as "objective" commentary. :rolleyes: Spare me your banter. :rolleyes:
Last edited by seastreet on Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glimmerjim wrote: I may be slow but I'm dumb!
seastreet
hunter

Postby QUACK3XS » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:13 pm

seastreet wrote:[Keith Olberman, as "objective"

Now thats funny :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
U.S. NAVY SEABEE VETERAN
QUACK3XS
hunter

Postby Dolsmi » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:41 am

dudejcb wrote:That's why you and your ilk are so easily fooled by R talking points.

Dudejcb
Now that's funny!!!

So you are telling us, that everyone is fooled by the R's talking points on FOX, Limbaugh, Hannity, O-Reilly, Ingram, etc.

And the D's tell us when they are editorializing, have no talking points and nobody is fooled by NBC, CBS, ABC, MSNBC, CNN, NPR, Rather, Couric, Mathews, Oberman, Williams, Gibson, Cooper, Blitzer, etc.

That might be one of the funniest, non-open-minded, politically one sided comment I have read on this forum in quite some time.

Now I'll go back to just reading all the politically bigoted posts again, and get back to getting nominated by you for the Darwin awards again.
As Brian Regan would say... "Take Luck!"
Dolsmi
hunter

Postby dudejcb » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:04 am

seastreet wrote:

Damn dude... put down the crack pipe. Everyone knows O'Reilly, Hannity & Colmes are "subjective" commentary shows. But I'm sure you will defend that douchebag, Keith Olberman, as "objective" commentary. :rolleyes: Spare me your banter. :rolleyes:

It's pretty clear that Olberman ediatorializes and provides his comments as his comments. The other's...the national new outlest, ABC, NBC, and CBS sometimes make mistakes, and they often don't cover improtant stuff, but in the whole their ability to obtain adverising dollars requires that they report and not editorialize as a general rule.

Would you rather live in a society that doesn't have a free and open press? Put away the paranoia that "everyone's against us." It's childish. That's a real crack pipe talking.
dudejcb
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:28 am

I still don't even know what the issue is. This is pure legalese. It would be absurd if people could sue the news, whether it is Fox News or anything else.

The lawyers said you can't sue the news even if ...

The judges said you are right.

If they had ruled the other way, it would have ended all news outlets because they would be sued 100 times a day unless they reported nothing but sport scores and TV listings.

BTW dude. I'm starting to feel better. I've heard geese honking all morning. I think they are finally starting to move and I don't have to work tomorrow :banana:
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby DuckinFool » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:46 pm

Speaking of "editorializing".......... :rolleyes:

This woman is an idiot. :)

Randi Rhodes is the "lady" who called for the assassination of George Bush. And the left wonder why they can't compete in talk radio. :)
http://boortz.com/more/video/randi_rhod ... etnam.html

You might also remember this. Some time ago, she claimed that she was brutally assaulted and battered for her political commentary. Until this, she was virtually unheard of. As it turns out, she staggered out of a pub, doing a faceplant on a stormgrate on the sidewalk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7NHSIN1 ... re=related
Recession-neighbor loses job...Depression-you lose job...Recovery-Obama loses job.
DuckinFool
hunter

Postby MM » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:12 pm

:rofl:
Like us on facebook! Reelfishingchat.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/ReelFishi ... 6234462878
MM
Super Moderator

Postby dudejcb » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:27 am

the only person who knows what John McCain went through in the Hanoi Hilton is John McCain and his captors. I am willing to accept him at his word.

Randi Rhodes, obviously, is a very strident lefty and I don't know what actually happened to her, and don't care. That said, I don't think she;s all that different from Rush or Hannity, which is why I repeatedly suggest on DHC that we should all attempt to utilize multiple information sources, think for ourselves, and draw our own conclusions.

Consider the source. Look for multiple sources (on both side of an issue) that corroborate one another... and ignore the spin.

All that said: I saw a coupe lsnippets of the Charlie Gibson interview with Palin, and my initial take is that she's not very smart, and has a shallow jingoistic tendency that is all very reminiscent of Bush and Cheney both.

Now that I've lit the tinder, who has some twigs to toss on the fire?
dudejcb
hunter

Postby DuckinFool » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:57 pm

She seemed to have a much better understanding of NATO than Obama who still has not figured it out. :yes:

She answered the question while he took three days and two flip flops to get it. :huh:
DuckinFool
hunter

Return to Controversial Issues Forum