Just what we needed

A forum not related to waterfowl for discussing the more controversial and hot topic issues in our world from immigration, politics, the war, etc..

Moderators: Smackaduck, MM

Just what we needed

Postby GroundSwatter » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:23 am

I saw this on the Today show this morning http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/28/us/28brfs-GUNSHOWDEATH_BRF.html?ref=us

An 8-year-old boy died after accidentally shooting himself in the head while firing an Uzi submachine gun under adult supervision at a gun fair.

I think the biggest gun I shot when I was 8 was a .22LR or a .410. Its amazing how fellow gun enthusiasts are our own worst enemy.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:05 pm

I don't know how he did it. It was a semi-auto 9mm for Pete's sake. It's just common sense, when a gun is pointed toward your head you don't keep pulling the trigger. I got a 20 gauge shotgun when I was 10 for my first gun. Before that I knew how to handle every gun in the house safely.

The gun control nuts are going crazy with it. They are trying to put an age restriction on semi-auto guns now. This is rediculous. This kid obviously wasn't ready for a gun. That's the parents job. Different kids are ready for firearms at different times, and it's the parent's job to know that time. I think that's where fake guns and bb guns come in to play.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby GroundSwatter » Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:26 pm

Preacher1011 wrote:The gun control nuts are going crazy with it. They are trying to put an age restriction on semi-auto guns now. This is rediculous. This kid obviously wasn't ready for a gun. That's the parents job. Different kids are ready for firearms at different times, and it's the parent's job to know that time. I think that's where fake guns and bb guns come in to play.

I agree, he probably shouldn't have been out there with anything more than a BB pistol. My parents started me out small and then I worked my way up once I was mature enough to handle it. It all started with a Red Ryder BB gun, then a Marlin .22 rifle and a single shot .410.

I was probably 12 before they would let me handle a pistol beyond a .22. But the fist time I shot a .357, I already knew how to handle and shoot it.

You have to teach young kids the proper mechanics of handling a shooting a gun, with "toy guns" as you called them preach, before you ever hand them anything with real fire power.

Just sad to see it happen, for multiple reasons. Like most problems with kids, it all has to start with parenting.
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby TEAM WEBFOOTPOSSE » Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:12 pm

:no: sad story

i started shooting i 22 when i was 6 and fired my first shotgun when i was 8
waterfowler20 wrote:
getemducks wrote:I am new to this but I think what you have there is a duck. :huh:

Are you crazy! That ain't no duck, thats one of'dem cackler gooses! :hi:
TEAM WEBFOOTPOSSE
hunter

Postby HotDog » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:00 pm

My understanding is that the gun was FULL auto and the kid wasn't holding it well, causing it to climb as he held the trigger(panic?), it was when it came around that the kid was shot.

A very sad day for all involved.
My prayers go out to them all..
WTN10 wrote:
"Why do you assume I'm a genius? Have you ever considered that I'm average and that you're retarded?"
HotDog
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:55 pm

HotDog, the gun was semi-auto. At least that is what they said on the news this morning. I think there are stages with kids and guns. Teach them safety with a toy gun, then let them have a bb gun. When they get the bb gun they can go around playing cops and robbers with the toy ones. When I real gun comes in they start shooting friends with the Red Ryder. At least that's how it went with me.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby lucky 13 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:12 pm

I am def. late on this controversial issue but from what i have read from you fellows I am 100% with you and the parenting part!! My prayers go to the parents and familys of this poor boy, accidents happen to all of us we just need to do our best, but sometimes bad things happen to good people. Unf. it happened to our future!
lucky 13
hunter

Return to Controversial Issues Forum