Push for State Sovereignty

A forum not related to waterfowl for discussing the more controversial and hot topic issues in our world from immigration, politics, the war, etc..

Moderators: Smackaduck, MM

Push for State Sovereignty

Postby MacMan » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:04 am

I found this interesting bit of news over the weekend. Apparently several states have or are working on resolutions to basically declare their State Sovereignty apart from the Federal Government.

Basically some states are are attempting to convey the view that they have had enough interference from the Federal Government involving finances and powers that the were not enumerated in the Constitution as the role of Federal Government, but which are powers of the state…..

As I did a little more research, I found a good, level-headed review of this state sovereignty phenomenon From The Republic of Dave:

You may not have heard much about it, but there’s a quiet movement afoot to reassert state sovereignty and stop the uncontrolled expansion of federal government power. Almost half of the state legislatures are considering or have representatives preparing to introduce resolutions which reassert the principles of the 9th and 10th Amendments to the Constitution and the idea that federal power is strictly limited to specific areas detailed in the Constitution and that all other governmental authority rests with the states.

In the version of this bill being considered in Washington state, they appeal to the authority of James Madison in The Federalist who wrote:

“”The powers delegated to the federal government are few and defined. Those which are to remain in the state governments are numerous and indefinite. The former will be exercised principally on external objects, [such] as war, peace, negotiation, and foreign commerce. The powers reserved to the several states will extend to all the objects which, in the ordinary course of affairs, concern the lives, liberties, and properties of the people.”

The founding fathers believed in a balance between state and federal power. This state sovereignty movement clearly arises from the belief that the balance of power has tilted too far and for too long in the direction of the federal government and that it’s time to restore that lose balance.

The emergence of this movement is a hopeful sign of the people asserting their rights and the rights of the states and finally crying “enough” to runaway government. With the threat of increasingly out of control federal spending, some of these sovereignty bills may stand a fair chance of passage in the coming year.

Most recently the New Hampshire legislature has issue a resolution “affirming states rights based on Jeffersonian Principles”.

From Pat Dollard:

The New Hampshire state legislature took an unbelievably bold step Monday by introducing a resolution to declare certain actions by the federal government to completely totally void and warning that certain future acts will be viewed as a “breach of peace” with the states themselves that risks “nullifying the Constitution.”

This act by New Hampshire is a clear warning to the federal government that they could face being stripped of their power by the States (presumably through civil war!

The remarkable document outlines with perfect clarity, some basics long forgotten. For instance, it reminds Congress “That the Constitution of the United States, having delegated to Congress a power to punish treason, counterfeiting the securities and current coin of the United States, piracies, and felonies committed on the high seas, and offences against the law of nations, slavery, and no other crimes whatsoever;. . . . . therefore all acts of Congress which assume to create, define, or punish crimes, other than those so enumerated in the Constitution are altogether void, and of no force;”

Federal gun crime laws? Void. Federal drug crime laws? Void. The gazzillion other federal criminal laws that deal with anything other than the specific enumerated crimes? ALL VOID.

One would think that if any lawyer anywhere in the entire country was worth his salt, all federal criminal trials would have ended years ago. This seems to prove that most lawyers are dullards.

…..Later in the Resolution, New Hampshire makes clear what the feds are now risking if they proceed further: The removal of all powers from the federal government by the States!

You can read the full New Hampshire resolution here.

Aside, from New Hampshire, apparently there are many more states that have generated resolutions or are considering it. From Rep of Dave again:

As things stand right now it looks like Oklahoma, Washington, Hawaii, Missouri, Arizona, New Hampshire, Georgia, California, Michigan and Montana will all definitely consider sovereignty bills this year. They may be joined by Arkansas, Colorado, Idaho, Indiana, Alaska, Kansas, Alabama, Nevada, Maine and Pennsylvania where legislators have pledged to introduce similar bills. Twenty statesstanding up to the federal government and demanding a return to constitutional principles is a great start, but it remains to be seen whether legislatures and governors are brave enough or angry enough to follow through. As the Obama administration and the Democratic Congress push for more expansion of federal power and spending that may help provide the motivation needed for the sovereignty movement to take off.

It would seem that a states rebellion is afoot….but don’t go all “civil war” about it just yet. Rep of Dave warns:

There’s a lot of excitement about these bills, but there are also a lot of misconceptions, with people claiming that some states have already declared sovereignty and that the movement is much farther along than it really is. Contrary to popular rumor, none of the states has actually enacted a sovereignty law yet. Some have come close. Oklahoma’s bill passed their lower house overwhelmingly but stalled in the Senate last fall and is being held over for consideration in the new year.

Contrary to the fantasies of some extremists, these sovereignty bills are not the first step towards secession or splitting up the union, nor are they an effort to block collection of the income tax, appealing though that might be. For the most part, they are not so much political statements of independence as they are expressions of fiscal authority directed specifically at the growing cost of unfunded mandates being placed upon the states by the federal government.Despite the movement picking up steam as he came to office, the target of these bills is not President Obama, but rather the Democrat-dominated Congress whose plans for massive bailouts and expanded social programs are likely to come at an enormous cost to the states.

This “movement” is worth keeping your eye on in the coming days and months.

Excerpt from:

http://sharprightturn.wordpress.com/200 ... eye-on-it/
<\\\><
MM
MacMan
hunter

Postby rman114 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:53 am

Most states get more money from Washington rather than give to Washington.
Coincidentally Every "Red" state i could think of recieved more money from DC than gave to DC and mostly blue states that ended up paying more to DC than recieved.
This person from New Hampshire is probably pissed because his states is one of the few paying mopre to DC rather than recieving. My own state of NJ actually makes out the worst of all 50.

MacMan in 2005 your state paid about $6000 per person but recieved about $8000 back from the Feds. Also TN came out on top going as far back as the document goes, 1981.

Check out this link to see how Uncle Sam has been treating your state.

http://www.taxfoundation.org/research/show/22685.html
rman114
hunter

Postby MacMan » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:02 pm

Cool web site and the data is very interesting; however, I don't believe these States to be pushing the 10th amend primarilly for monies received. I believe it to be a myriad of issues and strings tied to any federal money. After this bailout SNAFU in which we will never overcome "or" pay back - it might be better to live in a "freed" state.
<\\\><
MM
MacMan
hunter

Postby dudejcb » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:31 pm

Wow. harmonic convergence alert! I just posted my take about the parallels between the old dixiecrats and some of today's republicans on the "divorce" thread; and the state rights and sovereignty thing was one parallel I listed. And then I came and saw this. Yee Gods Batman!
What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding?
dudejcb
hunter

Postby MacMan » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:39 pm

dudejcb wrote:Wow. harmonic convergence alert! I just posted my take about the parallels between the old dixiecrats and some of today's republicans on the "divorce" thread; and the state rights and sovereignty thing was one parallel I listed. And then I came and saw this. Yee Gods Batman!

Hey Bro, and I loved the divorce piece as well!!!! I borrowed it and sent it to some of my buddies.

I fear Marshall law before we can claim our 10th ammendment right. . .
<\\\><
MM
MacMan
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:31 pm

This is very interesting indeed. first I have heard of it. I'll look into it.
I've been deviling into the creation of the Federal Reserve System and the erosion of the dollar lately. I think people are fed up with it!! :mad:
(no pun intended) :smile:
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby MacMan » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:40 pm

Indaswamp wrote:This is very interesting indeed. first I have heard of it. I'll look into it.
I've been deviling into the creation of the Federal Reserve System and the erosion of the dollar lately. I think people are fed up with it!! :mad:
(no pun intended) :smile:

A good book is:
The Creature from Jekyll Island

http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/posting. ... e&p=683968

Discusses the creation of the Federal Reserve - A PRIVATE INSTITUTION and not a gov't intity. . .
<\\\><
MM
MacMan
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:03 pm

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby dudejcb » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:54 pm

I'm liking this thread. Very good natured, mature, discussion of issues we need to learn more about; combined with an honest willingness to at least look at things from another vantage point. Right on. We can get back to squabbling over nonesense tomorrow. In the meantime... Good on you guys, my hat is off to you. (What a pleasant breath of fresh air on DHC...)
dudejcb
hunter

Postby MacMan » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:31 am

Indaswamp wrote:Read it... Check this out:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 5812&hl=en

GREAT VIDEO - while only being 1/2 the way through, this is a must see. Crazy how the same things are going on this very day.
<\\\><
MM
MacMan
hunter

Postby snakeyes182 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:09 am

MacMan wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:Read it... Check this out:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 5812&hl=en

GREAT VIDEO - while only being 1/2 the way through, this is a must see. Crazy how the same things are going on this very day.

Very informative video. It kind of makes you wonder if these so called "international private bankers" are possibly funding the world's terrorism? Just a thought.
snakeyes182
hunter

Postby MacMan » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:40 am

If not funding directly most probably coordinating the efforts. . .
<\\\><
MM
MacMan
hunter

Postby HtownBlaster » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:49 am

Very informative. It's crazy how he completely predicted the crash of today. And how and then predicted the additional spending/borrowing.

Can't belive I watched the whole thing. I just couldn't stop. I knew there were those that could predict and control recessions and boom cycles. I just didn't know who.
Newest member of the A5 club.
HtownBlaster
hunter

Postby dudejcb » Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:16 pm

It's more than just the Fed that runs amok. (Hey just noticed DHC got spell check...Way to go Chris!)

I think we have all seen very large corporations sometimes do things, or cut corners, to the public's detriment. Corporate charters are granted based on the corporation acting to the benefit, not the detriment, of the public. We have the right to revoke the charters of corporations that do harm. It was written into the original laws granting corporate entities, but most are unaware, and it takes a lot a very good legal guidance and some dough to enforce the law.

Just some random info. If you're skeptical, Google "Jim Hightower" ... he's one of the champions of communities and people's rights over corporate wrongdoers.
dudejcb
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:18 am

I'm glad at least a few on here took the time to watch the documentary... It doesn't matter which way you lean politically, this is an issue much larger that politics. It is very informative, And it also shows the extent to which the mainstream media has not covered this. This should be required watching in every college economics class...
Any thoughts on the solution as presented in the film?

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:37 am

Very informative video. It kind of makes you wonder if these so called "international private bankers" are possibly funding the world's terrorism? Just a thought.

They funded Hitler and Moussillini(sp?)...Why not international terrorists? What ever brings in the profits for them. No national ties at all.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Re: Push for State Sovereignty

Postby buckmeister » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:59 am

Mac:

I missed this post, I think this dovetails with my tenth amendment post.
"Give me liberty or give me death"
buckmeister
hunter

Re: Push for State Sovereignty

Postby MacMan » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:12 am

buckmeister wrote:Mac:

I missed this post, I think this dovetails with my tenth amendment post.

Yea BM - I posted this when I first heard it - I was quite excited as you would expect. I do not know how far the states have come - suffice to say - the states that take any of the stimulus money will have a much harder time. I'd love for a state to say - shove your money. . . I don't want it.
<\\\><
MM
MacMan
hunter

Return to Controversial Issues Forum