Screw the constitution...let's do it anyway.

A forum not related to waterfowl for discussing the more controversial and hot topic issues in our world from immigration, politics, the war, etc..

Moderators: Smackaduck, MM

Screw the constitution...let's do it anyway.

Postby Indaswamp » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:39 pm

Let's give the district of Columbia full congressional representation......The document be Damned!....

Anyone else see the perilous consequences?

http://blogs.usatoday.com/oped/2009/03/ ... -bump.html
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Re: Screw the constitution...let's do it anyway.

Postby GroundSwatter » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:50 pm

Its too be expected, most libs view the constitution as a suggestion and choose to ignore it. The right thing to do would be to amend it, but that takes too many votes. Its much easier to ignore it and hope that when it does finally come before the supreme court, the justices are on your side.

The reason I will not vote for anyone that proposes to infringe on my second amendment is because if they think so little of the 2nd amendment, how do they feel about the rest of the constitution.

We've also already seen that the lib's want to infringe on your first amendment too and get those dratted Conservative radio stations off the air. Telling radio stations how to run their businesses is just stupid. If you have a conservative listening base, it makes no sense to put on a liberal radio show. You'll lose advertising for that time and hence lose money, but apparently its unfair to have the freedom of speech, unless you agree with the left. :fingerhead:
It's a fact that 70 percent of the people who purchase heavier tackle do so with the categorical I just lost a huge snook! Einstein Hairdo.The other 30 percent have either Tarpon Fever or are sporting a hand cramped into a claw from a deepwater grouper.
GroundSwatter
hunter

Postby MacMan » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:01 pm

GroundSwatter wrote:Its too be expected, most libs view the constitution as a suggestion and choose to ignore it. The right thing to do would be to amend it, but that takes too many votes. Its much easier to ignore it and hope that when it does finally come before the supreme court, the justices are on your side.

The reason I will not vote for anyone that proposes to infringe on my second amendment is because if they think so little of the 2nd amendment, how do they feel about the rest of the constitution.

We've also already seen that the lib's want to infringe on your first amendment too and get those dratted Conservative radio stations off the air. Telling radio stations how to run their businesses is just stupid. If you have a conservative listening base, it makes no sense to put on a liberal radio show. You'll lose advertising for that time and hence lose money, but apparently its unfair to have the freedom of speech, unless you agree with the left. :fingerhead:

EXACTLY!!! IF you agree with the left - you have a voice. . . Can you imagine calling it a "fairness" doctrine. Firstly, the left/lib's have their own radio stations and TV channels. Have you ever sat down and listened to this crap. It's a clear push for an agenda - it's not live and let live, it's not a presentation of feelings and values - most of what I could stomach was like marching orders being delivered to all the other Kool-aid drinkers. . . :sniper: the :crying:
<\\\><
MM
MacMan
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:03 pm

Of course we should give the 0.6M residence of Washington, DC a representative, but screw the 3.9M residence of Puerto Rico.

People are so ignorant that they don't realize that DC is not the only U.S. territory. If you live in a U.S. territory, you do not have representation in Congress. You can alway apply for statehood, but DC is a little territory. There are 0.2M residence of Guam. I guess they should get a representative to :no:

Some territories will never become states. DC is one of them.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby rman114 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:47 pm

Just out of curiosity, why are you so against DC becoming a state? Beyond just the fact that other territories exist. I would think DC gets a little extra attention because it is completely surrounded by states, is on the lower 48, and is land that at one time was actually state land.

Also, i believe Puerto Rico voted NOT to become a state.
rman114
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:59 pm

DC is not big enough to be a state although it would not be the smallest in population. It is not an independent entity and remains tied tightly to the Federal Government. The hole point of creating the District was to prevent the capital from being within one of the States. It would undo the original intent of the creation of the District. I would not be against merging part or all of it back into the state of Maryland. Actually, I think that might be a good idea. That is just a few of the reasons.

Even though Puerto Rico voted against statehood, does that not entitle them to representation, especially considering they have far more people than DC. What about the other territories? The argument the proponents use does not make sense based on the existence of other U.S. territories. Are the people of DC better than the people in the other territories? What exactly is the argument?

Do you think territories should get Representation? Do you think it requires a Constitutional Amendment? My answers are no, and I think so, but haven't actual read the Constitution with this question in mind.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby MacMan » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:14 pm

SpinnerMan wrote:DC is not big enough to be a state although it would not be the smallest in population. It is not an independent entity and remains tied tightly to the Federal Government. The hole point of creating the District was to prevent the capital from being within one of the States. It would undo the original intent of the creation of the District. I would not be against merging part or all of it back into the state of Maryland. Actually, I think that might be a good idea. That is just a few of the reasons.

Even though Puerto Rico voted against statehood, does that not entitle them to representation, especially considering they have far more people than DC. What about the other territories? The argument the proponents use does not make sense based on the existence of other U.S. territories. Are the people of DC better than the people in the other territories? What exactly is the argument?

Do you think territories should get Representation? Do you think it requires a Constitutional Amendment? My answers are no, and I think so, but haven't actual read the Constitution with this question in mind.

Having spent some time in the 3rd world territory of Puerto Rico; Representation would also mean financial aid to a an area that is very poor, maybe even as poor as Detroit is. . . But sure as heck - there'd be stim money in it for them. Humm, come to think about it - DC might need some stim money too.
<\\\><
MM
MacMan
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:47 pm

No to the first and yes to the second. If a person wants representation...move to a state.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Return to Controversial Issues Forum