Please Wake the Dead - without Lead???

A forum not related to waterfowl for discussing the more controversial and hot topic issues in our world from immigration, politics, the war, etc..

Moderators: Smackaduck, MM

Please Wake the Dead - without Lead???

Postby MacMan » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:23 am

Lead ban counfounds industry 3/16/2009
A recent action by the Obama administration has left anglers and the fishing industry scratching their heads. Last week, the National Park Service (NPS) suddenly announced it would ban lead fishing tackle in national parks by 2010.

The American Sportfishing Association (ASA) weighed on in the controversy with a widely distributed statement. "The sportfishing industry is surprised and dismayed by the March 10 announcement made by the National Park Service," said ASA VP Gordon Robertson. "Their intention to eliminate the use of lead in fishing tackle in national parks was made without prior consultation of the sportfishing industry or the millions of recreational anglers who fish within the national park system."

Robertson added: "In his Jan. 21, 2009 Executive Memo to federal agency and department heads, President Obama made it very clear that he expects the federal government to be transparent, participatory and collaborative and that 'executive departments and agencies should offer Americans increased opportunities to participate in policymaking and to provide their government with the benefits of their collective expertise and information.' We expect the National Park Service to follow the President's order."

In the normal course of events, the sportfishing and shooting-sports industries (lead component ammunition is also included in the ban) would have been notified by the NPS about this change in policy and would have been invited to discuss this decision with NPS staff, the ASA noted.

Robertson also said: "The NPS policy announcement, issued by a press release, does not explain how this decision was reached, why it may be necessary or how this rule will be implemented. To our knowledge, there has been no proposed rule, nor any opportunity for public comment. We request that the NPS withdraw this proposal and discuss the rationale for it with the appropriate stakeholders before taking further action."

--->

While thinking this may wake the dead - lefty/Dems that is; someone like dude will give us a pronouncement on how bismuth is a better material for fishning weights or decoy anchor.
<\\\><
MM
User avatar
MacMan
hunter
 
Posts: 7782
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:59 am
Location: Memphis, TN


Re: Please Wake the Dead - without Lead???

Postby buckmeister » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:47 pm

Mac:

You know whats coming next. The EPA will be showing up at all the gun ranges and will make it exttemely difficult and expensive to deal with all their red tape concerning lead in the soil etc. They will try and regulate the gun ranges to death.
"Give me liberty or give me death"
buckmeister
hunter
 
Posts: 4288
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:07 pm
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma

Re: Please Wake the Dead - without Lead???

Postby MacMan » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:59 pm

buckmeister wrote:Mac:

You know whats coming next. The EPA will be showing up at all the gun ranges and will make it exttemely difficult and expensive to deal with all their red tape concerning lead in the soil etc. They will try and regulate the gun ranges to death.


BM, control "always" comes under the guise of evironmental issues - ecology (old word now), Global this and Global that and even some PETA stuff, always saving something - yet these same Fux will allow a botched abortion baby to die on the table and wish to save a freakin' mouse in the marsh that benefits nothing to wich the increase in the nrs disturbs the real balance of nature. I'm thinking we'd have been much better off if a few politicians had been aborted. . .
<\\\><
MM
User avatar
MacMan
hunter
 
Posts: 7782
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:59 am
Location: Memphis, TN

Re: Please Wake the Dead - without Lead???

Postby SnoGeez » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:31 pm

MacMan wrote:While thinking this may wake the dead - lefty/Dems that is; someone like dude will give us a pronouncement on how bismuth is a better material for fishning weights or decoy anchor.


Not that I don't think this is totally ridiculous. But wouldn't bismuth be better? From my understanding it is heavier than lead, therefore, your anchors and weights would be smaller and more compact? But I guess cost would overtake any benefit.....
User avatar
SnoGeez
hunter
 
Posts: 670
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:48 pm
Location: Western Washington

Re: Please Wake the Dead - without Lead???

Postby MacMan » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:12 am

SnoGeez wrote:
MacMan wrote:While thinking this may wake the dead - lefty/Dems that is; someone like dude will give us a pronouncement on how bismuth is a better material for fishning weights or decoy anchor.


Not that I don't think this is totally ridiculous. But wouldn't bismuth be better? From my understanding it is heavier than lead, therefore, your anchors and weights would be smaller and more compact? But I guess cost would overtake any benefit.....


Well, I was kind of being a smartA - but you are right, it's real close to lead - I think things are going too far and Gov't is totally out of control.
<\\\><
MM
User avatar
MacMan
hunter
 
Posts: 7782
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:59 am
Location: Memphis, TN


Return to Controversial Issues Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Slack Tide and 9 guests