Best Home Defense Shotgun Ammo?

A forum to discuss home defense and personal defense to keep out crime.

Moderators: La. Hunter, badandy970, Montanafowler

Best Home Defense Shotgun Ammo?

Postby bluewing77 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:53 am

Best ammo for Home Defense scenario with shotgun?

Cabelas has quite an array of nicely priced 12 ga. buckshot ammo (#1, 00, and even 000) thought I'd get opinions before I order.

i just bought an 18" I/C bbl for my 870 on gunbroker. after stopping an attempted break-in across the road and being witness to "suspicious" activity in our rural neighborhood lately, my wife now very much agrees with the need to be HD ready. she has agreed to learn how to use shotguns, we dont own handguns anyway.

so what buck rounds would you guys recommend? my guns are 2.75" or 3" capable. and does choke matter at close HD ranges? Thanks
bluewing77
hunter

Re: Best Home Defense Shotgun Ammo?

Postby Preacher1011 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:10 pm

Try the new PDX-1 12 gauge ammo by Winchester. It's a 12 gauge rifled slug backed up by 3 pellets of 00 buck shot.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Montanafowler » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:57 am

Preacher1011 wrote:Try the new PDX-1 12 gauge ammo by Winchester. It's a 12 gauge rifled slug backed up by 3 pellets of 00 buck shot.

i love those rounds preach, except i think it's 3 slugs with the buck. I test shot some in 410. yesterday out of a Judge, would definitely stop an intruder, kinda reminded me of when people used to use dimes as ammo :yes:

the "slug" in them is more like a thick disc, they tumble a lot, so if you were to shoot beyond 10 yards, accuracy with them is gone.

the one round that will kill ever time is 00 buck, picked up a few boxes of em yesterday.
Booney3721 wrote:Try being a dishwasher/Grill cook/ellectrition/garbage disposer and your owner/boss is a fat greek woman who cals you names as Retard, stupid, idiot, molocah, f*** face and tard, and tells you that you was the inspiration for abortion and birth control.
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Postby Preacher1011 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:19 am

Montanafowler wrote:
Preacher1011 wrote:Try the new PDX-1 12 gauge ammo by Winchester. It's a 12 gauge rifled slug backed up by 3 pellets of 00 buck shot.

i love those rounds preach, except i think it's 3 slugs with the buck. I test shot some in 410. yesterday out of a Judge, would definitely stop an intruder, kinda reminded me of when people used to use dimes as ammo :yes:

the "slug" in them is more like a thick disc, they tumble a lot, so if you were to shoot beyond 10 yards, accuracy with them is gone.

the one round that will kill ever time is 00 buck, picked up a few boxes of em yesterday.

Not in the 12 gauge. The 12 gauge PDX-1's are a 1 oz. slug with 3 pellets of 00 bucks nested on top.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby shoot-n-goose » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:36 pm

I've got my 870 loaded with 00 buck, along with a couple deer slugs in the sleeve on the stock, ya know, just in case
CLUTCHfan wrote: Never bring a penis to a knife fight.
shoot-n-goose
hunter

Postby sherlockbonez » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:41 am

The longest shot in my house would be about 15yds, so I just use regular 00. Few in the saddle, few on the tray in the safe with some slugs. If things really go south, I'll just grab the sks.
sherlockbonez
hunter

Postby hairyheadhammer » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:26 am

The buck shot and slugs are good leathal choices, but with those you have to worry about colateral damage from penetration beyond your intended target. i.e. shooting through a wall with the larger shot and slugs and injuring or killing and innocent in ajoining rooms or outside the house.

All you need for some close quaters combat are some magnum or high power #2 shot. I have killed deer with this load in lead and lead is the preferred load out to 30 yds. I also did some testing with some junk doors I aquired at an auction cheap.
#8 field loads at 20 feet will penetrate anything and destroy a paper target behind all but solid oak ( penetrated but only a few pellets and splinters penetrated the target behind) and heavy steel doors. ( don't recomend shooting at heavy steel that close with a light shot load, like being in a room full of angry bees). Sheet rock, hollow core metal and wood doors and light solid wood doors were destroyed. Now before the beatings begin I did this experiment in heavy canvas overalls, neck protection, high impact face shield and a helmet, and the steel door was still scary.

My home defense Mossberg Defender is loaded with 3 3" # 4's followed by 2 slugs as anchors shots if needed. Now I tested the above with 3" mag loads #4 through BB lead shot and all doors were penetrated even the steel entrance door. I would assume steel shot would work but the ricochets from their hardness could be a problem for you that is why I only recomend lead shot and that is all I used in my testing.

Don't take my word for it get you some scrap building materials and safety equipment and have at it.
"the man who is not a liberal in his youth has no heart, the man who remains so as he matures has no brain"
Winston Churchill
hairyheadhammer
hunter

Postby devildog28 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:57 pm

There's always one who parrots the birdshot theory. :no:

I have Hornady TAP 00 in my shotgun. I think it's downloaded a little bit.
devildog28
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:20 pm

Sorry but bird shot don't work. I saw an aggressive dog get shot right in the right eye from 5 feet away with #4's and the dog was still alive. It got knocked on it's butt, but the .45 had to put it down. They did a test on it on www.theboxotruth.com and it doesn't work.

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby hairyheadhammer » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:31 pm

Shoot what you feel comfortable with. I have personally seen the effects of birdshot at close range (10' or less) that is why I use the heavy shot (#4 of larger prefer #2's) followed by 1oz slugs. I am using a full choke gun also. Like I said before, don't really want to take a chance of shooting through my walls into my neighbors house or yards.
"the man who is not a liberal in his youth has no heart, the man who remains so as he matures has no brain"
Winston Churchill
hairyheadhammer
hunter

Postby OrangeLake » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:58 pm

Preacher1011 wrote:Sorry but bird shot don't work. I saw an aggressive dog get shot right in the right eye from 5 feet away with #4's and the dog was still alive. It got knocked on it's butt, but the .45 had to put it down. They did a test on it on www.theboxotruth.com and it doesn't work.

I noticed that he used all 2 3/4" shells. I'd like to believe the results would be a little better with 3". Still wouldn't use birdshot though.
OrangeLake
hunter

Postby maxham51 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:29 pm

Here is the deal as I understand it.
Generally you want load that can penetrate 12" - 15" in Gel. More then that can over penitrate which can hit innocent bystanders. Also over penetration waste a good amount of the force as it is not absorbed by the target.

#1 buckshot is usually considered the Ideal load for personal defense at a range of less then 30 meters. because of the greater surface area it will do considerable more damage then 00 buck. But if you live in an apartment or have kids sleeping in there own room then there is a good chance of hitting them after the shot punches thru walls. 2 3/4" shells are considered by many to be best in this load as the reduced recoil, compared to 3" shells, lets you get back on target faster.
#4 buck and even BB shot may be your best for reducing the chance of hitting someone thru interior walls.
BB shot may not always kill, but if a victim takes a load of it at less then 25 feet, it is doubtful they will have any fight left in them.
Slugs are generally considered a bad choice as they over penetrate and can easily go thru most exterior walls. Thou Some folks keep a slug chambered as there 3rd round as it will penitrate most concealed ballistic vests (level II).

Adding a blinding Tactical light and laser to that HD weapon is something I also recommend.
maxham51
Newb

Postby bluewing77 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:03 am

i ended up getting several boxes of 2.75" shells with 00 and #1 buck. havent had a chance to pattern or shoot anything else with them yet. my nearest neighbors are on the adjacent 5 acre lot, nobody across the road or on the west fenceline.
bluewing77
hunter

Postby Montanafowler » Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:02 am

maxham51 wrote:#1 buckshot is usually considered the Ideal load for personal defense at a range of less then 30 meters. because of the greater surface area it will do considerable more damage then 00 buck.

#1 buck is smaller than 00, so it has less surface area.
Booney3721 wrote:Try being a dishwasher/Grill cook/ellectrition/garbage disposer and your owner/boss is a fat greek woman who cals you names as Retard, stupid, idiot, molocah, f*** face and tard, and tells you that you was the inspiration for abortion and birth control.
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Postby RiceMagnet » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:36 pm

What is I/C bbl ? Sorry, just unaware of that abbreviation.

I have my 12 gauge shotgun leaning up close to my bed, and it's loaded with two 3" turkey rounds (don't know exactly what they are). I'm a little weird...I'm apprehensive about putting one in the chamber...afraid I'll sleep walk or something and kill myself. lol. I do live alone so I'm not really worried about some kid playing with my gun, although I do have two young nephews.

I probably should just load one in the chamber.

As far as what bullet is best, I assume a 3" turkey round would be just as good as buckshot. Someone correct me if I am wrong. I have a small house (800 s.f.) so it would be VERY close quarters.

I've heard if you're going to shoot an intruder, you better shoot to kill. If you don't you could be screwed in the courts. Maybe that's just my state though.
RiceMagnet
hunter

Postby bluewing77 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:02 am

bbl = barrel.
I/C = improved cylinder.

turns out the barrel i bought was actually "CYL" = cylinder = no choke.

i DO NOT keep any of my guns stored with a round in the chamber. rounds in the magazine, yes. in the chamber, NO.
bluewing77
hunter

Postby carlschmarl2 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:26 pm

devildog28 wrote:There's always one who parrots the birdshot theory. :no:

I have Hornady TAP 00 in my shotgun. I think it's downloaded a little bit.

I love the TAP. It's loaded in mine too.

Birdshot is NOT a self defense round. It does NOT pepetrate clothing/skin/vitals. If you're worried about "collateral damage" then get an AR in .223.
"Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium"
carlschmarl2
hunter

Postby sherlockbonez » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:31 am

I just use regular remmy 00, mainly because that's what's available. I have about 15 rd or so handy with a couple of slugs. I feel #1buck is a superior load due to having more PELLETS per shell than 00 due to the way they fit inside a 12ga shell. This has been discussed in many of Capstick's book if someone is interested in it.

All of my shots will be under 10 yards, so all the high tech sights and what not are of no use to me, so I just stick with a plan bead and a few in the saddle.

For if things really go south (I can't imagine how), I just grab one of my SKS or CZ858 with a few thousand rds of 7.62. But for a realistic home invasion, I would think 20 rounds or so of buck and slug should suffice in stopping the threats. Don't forget the 1+1 rule and stay safe.
sherlockbonez
hunter

Postby shoot-n-goose » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:07 pm

reynaldx wrote:For me shotgun is the best weapon for home defense,
I used this one.

Looks like a .22 :huh:
CLUTCHfan wrote: Never bring a penis to a knife fight.
shoot-n-goose
hunter

Postby eDwaRdz » Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:53 am

I used this in our house,
Image.
There's no place for the weak on this earth. Weapons like collapsible batons are created to be used.
>>>...eDwaRdz...<<<
eDwaRdz
Newb

Postby MOSSBERG935 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:12 pm

I would try and shoot something like Dead Coyote T shot or F shot.

00 buck is nice, but T shot will also mess some stuff up. I prefer more pellets than 00 buck.

4buck isn't bad either. shooting in a house, you have to worry about over penetration.
MOSSBERG935
hunter

Postby Feather Seeker » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:01 pm

mossy with 18.5 inch cylinder bore with 3 loads of 2 3/4Inch #4 buck.hope i never have to use it. :no:
Feather Seeker
hunter

Postby Feather Seeker » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:05 pm

Feather Seeker wrote:mossy with 18.5 inch cylinder bore with 3 loads of 2 3/4Inch #4 buck.hope i never have to use it. :no:

argue for limitations,and sure enough their yours.
Feather Seeker
hunter

Postby T Man » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:50 pm

Right now I have my first 4 of #4 Buck and last 3 of #4 Nitro Pheasants with 5 Nitro Pheasants on the saddle. I like the increased pellet count of the #4 B, and really don't see that I am giving up much using those instead of 00. I know that bird shot isnt ideal but 1 3/8oz at 1300fps from less than 20' should buy me enough time to get to safety if the first 4 can't. From what I have read, I may switch those out for slugs. Havent decided yet. If push ever came to shove, hopefully the bright tac light would be enough deterrent.
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby LunaticFringeInc » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:23 am

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot3.htm

Check this link out and some others that can also be found on their home page. Many of them are pretty interesting to read.
LunaticFringeInc
hunter

Next

Return to Home and Personal Defense Forum