Who Shoots Pow' R Ball?

A forum to discuss home defense and personal defense to keep out crime.

Moderators: La. Hunter, badandy970, Montanafowler

Who Shoots Pow' R Ball?

Postby lumpy2181 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:33 pm

I am getting a .45 ACP for my carry and was curious of how well people like the Pow' R Ball ammo? Any experience with it at all is more than I have. Thanks.
Bgold wrote:... I don't think we're doing it right though and my butt sure hurts...

That's what she said!!!
lumpy2181
hunter

Re: Who Shoots Pow' R Ball?

Postby ring_main » Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:03 am

Glaser's other stuff has been known for insufficient penetration. Pow'rball supposedly has solved this problem and also the "issue" of bullets not expanding after being fired through heavy clothing. But holy crap is the stuff expensive at $28 for 20 rounds which partly makes me think the stuff is a gimmick. May be better to stick with something that has known qualities and spend the difference on ammo to practice with...

...That said, I personally have no experience with it either.

I carry Speer Gold-Dot for self defense. It is an extraordinarily common hollow-point and while not inexpensive, does offer sufficient penetration, expansion, and reliability.

You may wish to click on the following link for more information, to include ballistic gel testing and explanations of required depths of penetration with photographs. The links within the link contain some great ballistics information on specific ammo types in an easy-to-digest format.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=20&t=97960

If Pow'rBall meets the FBI penetration standards (12" and max expansion), and functions reliably then it's probably fine.

:beer:
ring_main
hunter

Postby jermilln » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:21 am

I like it I have it for my CW .40 it has tremendous knock down power. I have gotten a couple large rabbits with it and really there is nothing left for dinner. As well it has good penetration through solid material such as 3/4" ply wood and sheet metal. I would recommend it. :yes:
jermilln
hunter

Postby cshunter » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:22 pm

i use it in my 9mm. i like the fact that it was a +p round so was higher speed and feeds great just like a fmj. never had a single feed issue with the stuff. shooting it out of a s&w sigma 9mm. incredible penetration with the stuff. did the water jug test with that compared to just practice ammo fmj. the practice stuff just punched a neat little whole in and out the first jug and that was it. the pow r' ball stuff EXPLODED the first 2 jugs! and went into the 3rd!
cshunter
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:38 pm

I'd stick with something that stays together like a Speer Gold Dot or Winchester PDX-1. If a round is designed to not penetrate through walls, it isn't going to penetrate a person. Sure, they may have good "knock down" (kinetic energy) but when the jacket separates it isn't going to penetrate. For the FBI, a hollow point must penetrate 12" of ballistics gel consistently, you don't get that out of a pow' r ball. Get a good bonded hollow point and you'll be happy. There's a reason law enforcement agencies use them.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby lumpy2181 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:48 pm

Ended up grabbing the Hornandy TAP +P rounds. Thanks everyone!
Bgold wrote:... I don't think we're doing it right though and my butt sure hurts...

That's what she said!!!
lumpy2181
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:16 pm

lumpy2181 wrote:Ended up grabbing the Hornandy TAP +P rounds. Thanks everyone!

If you want something similar to Pow'r ball that works, try the Hornady Critical Defense. Great round actually, and it does really well. I always recommend it to people shooting .380's and 9's due to the hollow points liking to clog up in the smaller calibers. :thumbsup:
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby apexhunter » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:49 pm

I shoot Hydra-Shok in all of my carry/protection guns with the occasional Gold Dots in my XD-SC40 truck gun. If the Hydra Shok is good enough for the GA SHP after they did extensive tests it is good enough for me (plus my Ultra Carry II is tuned to this round from the factory). A cousin of mine on the SHP said their tests showed the round provided "more than sufficient" penetration in ballistic gel (the highest of all brands tested), almost perfect weight retention and was THE best as far as windshield deflection on a corvette-like angled windshield...by "the best" he said there was less than 1" of deflection between POA and POI at 25 meters.

Most shooters do not target shoot with SD ammo for cost reasons to other than shooting enough rounds to verify dependable feeding and cycling the cost difference between varying brands is almost a moot point. And when it comes to my family and my protection I do not worry about a couple more bucks per box.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby deepmarsh1 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:46 pm

I carried those cor bon pow r ball s until one of them didn't go boom one day so I switched to those bonded winchester rounds.
chris_k wrote:An expensive acrylic Duck Commander call is like a 1981 Buick Lesabre with a fancy paintjob and 22 inch rims. $ spent on the exterior ... Nothing to show for under the hood.
deepmarsh1
hunter

Postby Sagebrush » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:04 pm

They have tried to make that type of ammo works for years...............

They are still working out the bugs for when it hits wall board and plugs up and lack of penetration in the 4 Gel test.

I would go with what the FBI, NYPD and others go with.............there is a reason this load is not their carry round.....
and also why they don't use the Federal Hydo- SUCK, I mean Shok.
Sagebrush
hunter

Return to Home and Personal Defense Forum