Glock 9mm or 40 or 45?

A forum to discuss home defense and personal defense to keep out crime.

Moderators: La. Hunter, badandy970, Montanafowler

Re: Re: Re: Glock 9mm or 40 or 45?

Postby whaknstak » Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:26 pm

carlschmarl2 wrote:
whaknstak wrote:
moneymaker wrote:So what grain bullet you like for the .40 ?

Ballistic evidence shows a heavier bullet will produce greater, more destructive wound channels. The heavier the better in each caliber.

Also, whichever one will reliably feed, fire, extract, and eject in your gun.

Absolutely

FFT wrote:There is one international sound that 99% of the population can identify and that's the sound of a pump shotgun chambering a round. If you have enough time to reach for a pistol you have enough to chamber a 12g. round. Nobody is going to stick around long enough to find out what comes next. With that being said, consider what the ramifications will be if you pump a .45 round into your neighbors kid because he came home in an alcohol blackout and opened the wrong door. First your gonna need a lawyer and second your gonna loose your right to carry a firearm. I know for a fact that I never want to pull the trigger on another man and will avoid it at all costs.

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk

Dont count on mere sound to deter an assailant. While it may accomplish the desired effect, be prepared to use the weapon like your life depends on it.
"Do you care about freedom? Dreams may have inspired it, and wishes prompted it, but only war and weapons have made it yours."

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Re: Glock 9mm or 40 or 45?

Postby carlschmarl2 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:15 pm

FFT wrote:There is one international sound that 99% of the population can identify and that's the sound of a pump shotgun chambering a round. If you have enough time to reach for a pistol you have enough to chamber a 12g. round. Nobody is going to stick around long enough to find out what comes next. With that being said, consider what the ramifications will be if you pump a .45 round into your neighbors kid because he came home in an alcohol blackout and opened the wrong door. First your gonna need a lawyer and second your gonna loose your right to carry a firearm. I know for a fact that I never want to pull the trigger on another man and will avoid it at all costs.

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk

You might lose your right in the People's Republic of NJ, but any other state you'll be fine as long as it's a good shoot. Castle Doctrine makes it a good shoot if you fear for life or that of a family member. Your dumb neighbor kid should know where his own house is.

Are you guys even allowed to own/carry high cap mags and/or deadly, baby killing hallow points?
"Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium"
carlschmarl2
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:54 pm

While all that may be true the facts are that most SD situations happen really fast and one must or should be properly trained and prepared to react in an efficient manner to bring their SD weapon to bear...and they must be mentally prepared to take a life in order to preserve their own (or that of somebody in their presence). It is human nature for a person to not take the life of others of their species and it is a fundamental decision that must be made before committing themselves to carrying a firearm.

In most home defense situations I agree that a shotgun is a good choice with the variety of loads along with the "ca-chunk" sound of a pump being racked but a handgun is more manageable in tight quarters for the average person. Either way a good piece of advice is to take whatever gun one chooses, get some SD training, practice, practice and practice some more and prepare yourself to defend your life by potentially taking one...and remember that it is better to be tried by 12 then carried by 6.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby TNAL45 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:28 pm

TomKat wrote:This is an interesting link that finds the .40 to be a tad better than the 9-

http://lifeinthegreatmidwest.blogspot.com/2008/05/stopping-power-considered-9mm-vs-45.html

According to this article a .357 sig would be the choice for most knockdown in a semi auto package. Doesn't say that explicitly, but the conclusion is logical. I still don't trust mine not to over-penetrate in a defense situation so I usually have one of the .45s with me. The difference between ball and hollow-points is no doubt the reason many combat vets do not trust the quick and small 9mm.
cannon wrote:Rules, in general, are bad for me. Left to my own resources, I'm a fairly responsible citizen. Once rules are in place, I have an insatiable desire to break them repeatedly. It's a sickness.
TNAL45
hunter

Postby 9JAYDUB » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:55 pm

Just thought I'd throw my .02 in with all the other sound advice and opinions others have posted. As my grandfather told me when he introduced me to shooing, "it doesn't matter what you're shooting at if you can't hit sh*t." Advice to new self-defense firearm buyers is to focus on the gun not the caliber. The ergonomics of everybody is a little different. A glock might fit one person well but could be uncomfortable for somebody else. Find one that fits you, that you can consistently hit targets with in fairly rapid succession. Magazine capacity should be a minimal factor for home defense. Would you really be firing 10+ rounds in close proximity to where your family is sleep?

Good luck and practice practice practice!
9JAYDUB
hunter

Postby ibedamn » Sat May 05, 2012 8:02 am

I'd get what you shoot the best. Some people shoot much better with one cal. over the other due to grip size, or recoil. Many indoor ranges has these models for rent where you can see for yourself. We never buy a car without a test drive, why should we buy a handgun without the same. If you shoot em all well, then all the experts say bigger is better.
ibedamn
hunter

Postby gander_lander34 » Tue May 29, 2012 1:29 am

[quote="9JAYDUB"]Just thought I'd throw my .02 in with all the other sound advice and opinions others have posted. As my grandfather told me when he introduced me to shooing, "it doesn't matter what you're shooting at if you can't hit sh*t." Advice to new self-defense firearm buyers is to focus on the gun not the caliber. The ergonomics of everybody is a little different. A glock might fit one person well but could be uncomfortable for somebody else. Find one that fits you, that you can consistently hit targets with in fairly rapid succession. Magazine capacity should be a minimal factor for home defense. Would you really be firing 10+ rounds in close proximity to where your family is sleep?

Good luck and practice practice practice![/quote]

This is the only thing that needs to be said on this forum in relation to what size caliber to get for a home defense or CCW. 9JAYDUB hit it the nail right on the head. If you can't take a .45 and shoot three to five round in less than about 4-5 seconds on a 12" target (approximate area of the vitals (standard human chest is 18")) at 5 yards or less (the average home invasion shooting takes place within 7 feet), then there is absolutely no reason you should have it for a self defense gun. Yes, I will be the first to agree and advocate the .45 round for a SD or CCW. HOWEVER, I would much rather have someone shoot with a 9mm or even a .380 and be able to put multiple rounds on target than get one shot off with a .45. Here is why I say what I do, I'm in the military and have been through shooting schools and have learned a lot from other guys. From the time you make the decision to shoot till the time your target is on the ground can literally happen within a matter of 4-8 seconds. Now, just remember, 95% of people that carry firearms have never been on what we call the "two way range". When confronted with a traumatic situation like having to eliminate a target, your adrenaline will shoot through the roof and what we call "the monkey" will jump out of your pocket and make everything go to hell. All your plans will go right out the window UNLESS you have practiced, practiced, and practiced some more. You will forget everything you ever thought about doing in those situations and you WILL revert back to your training. All that being said, shoot the biggest caliber you can realistically handle. Here's a good way to do it at a range if you can't run. Do 25 jumping jacks with your pistol on the table. Immediately upon completion of the exercise (Your heart rate should be going fairly decently by now), pick up your pistol and attempt to put your rounds on that 12" target in 4-5 seconds. That will give an approximation of how well you can handle your gun under stress. Doing stress shoots like this are the only real way to train your body to react under stress without actually having someone fire back at you. Hope this helps.
gander_lander34
hunter

Postby lumpy2181 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:41 pm

gander_lander34 wrote:This is the only thing that needs to be said on this forum in relation to what size caliber to get for a home defense or CCW. 9JAYDUB hit it the nail right on the head. If you can't take a .45 and shoot three to five round in less than about 4-5 seconds on a 12" target (approximate area of the vitals (standard human chest is 18")) at 5 yards or less (the average home invasion shooting takes place within 7 feet), then there is absolutely no reason you should have it for a self defense gun. Yes, I will be the first to agree and advocate the .45 round for a SD or CCW. HOWEVER, I would much rather have someone shoot with a 9mm or even a .380 and be able to put multiple rounds on target than get one shot off with a .45. Here is why I say what I do, I'm in the military and have been through shooting schools and have learned a lot from other guys. From the time you make the decision to shoot till the time your target is on the ground can literally happen within a matter of 4-8 seconds. Now, just remember, 95% of people that carry firearms have never been on what we call the "two way range". When confronted with a traumatic situation like having to eliminate a target, your adrenaline will shoot through the roof and what we call "the monkey" will jump out of your pocket and make everything go to hell. All your plans will go right out the window UNLESS you have practiced, practiced, and practiced some more. You will forget everything you ever thought about doing in those situations and you WILL revert back to your training. All that being said, shoot the biggest caliber you can realistically handle. Here's a good way to do it at a range if you can't run. Do 25 jumping jacks with your pistol on the table. Immediately upon completion of the exercise (Your heart rate should be going fairly decently by now), pick up your pistol and attempt to put your rounds on that 12" target in 4-5 seconds. That will give an approximation of how well you can handle your gun under stress. Doing stress shoots like this are the only real way to train your body to react under stress without actually having someone fire back at you. Hope this helps.

I've just completed the school that taught you about the monkey and I have to second what gander is saying here. I was in the USMC for eight years and have been shooting most of my life. Until I took that course, I fancied myself a pretty good shooter. After going through the "House of pain" I learned that even in close range (Less than 5 yards for most of our engagements) the adrenaline rush causes you to forget almost all of your preconceived ideas on how and what will happen. The key thing is that your body reverts to muscle memory and your fine motor skills go away. We all have most likely seen the video of the cops and the guys with the suburban shootout.

These were trained officers shooting from close range. Please note how long it takes the one officer to draw his weapon after the suspect lets him go. Then note the suspect on the right side of the screen. Notice that he is low, in a squatted position, moving and shooting back at the officer. How would you respond in that situation? Unless you have been in that situation, you don't know. Take the time to educate yourself on how to effectively handle your weapon in these types of situations. A $1000 investment for a shooting course (one that specializes in gun fighting, not marksmanship training) doesn't seem like much when it could be your life or the life of your loved ones at stake when it hits the fan. Get a membership to a range that will allow you to do those "not-so-common" training scenarios like shooting through glass, through doors, at moving targets, from uncommon positions like prone behind a desk, etc... I realize that these may not be available where everyone lives but when it comes down to it, which is better: Taking a week off to go learn skills that could save you in a firefight or just assuming that 7 yards at a paper target in a air conditioned range with no stress is sufficient for you?
Just the humble opinion of a guy that used to think 7 yards at paper was all I needed...
Bgold wrote:... I don't think we're doing it right though and my butt sure hurts...

That's what she said!!!
lumpy2181
hunter

Previous

Return to Home and Personal Defense Forum