Looking for my first hand gun

A forum to discuss home defense and personal defense to keep out crime.

Moderators: La. Hunter, badandy970, Montanafowler

Postby Sodapop » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:16 pm

I have own a bunch of rifles and shotguns but I dont have a hand gun. My sister loves her Glock 9 and my fiancée swears her Desert Eagle is awesome. I am thinking I want a 45 but what is the most accurate and light gun to handle. I was thinking of the S&W 45 but would like to se others opinion.
Sodapop
hunter

Re: Looking for my first hand gun

Postby TomKat » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:24 pm

You might want to start off with a .22 pistol, they are cheap to shoot and accurate.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby Preacher1011 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:29 pm

If you want a .45 look into a 1911. They aren't light, but they're accurate. Remember, you get what you pay for. If you pay 300 for a handgun, you're going to get junk. If you spend above about 500 on a pistol, you'll be in good shape. If you're wanting a polymer gun, look into the S&W M&P, Glocks, and Springfield XD's. You won't go wrong with any of those 3. I've owned every gun I've mentioned other than the M&P and they're all great guns. Go to a shop and handle a few or even better, rent them and shoot them to see what fits you the best.

Some will tell you Taurus is great, don't get one. They old ones are, the new ones aren't. They just put in new machines and they're quality has gone downhill bad. I see more of them come back to get worked on than anything else combined. I'd stay away from the S&W Sigmas as well if you want accuracy and plan on shooting a lot. The ONLY case of a cheap gun being good that I've seen is the Bersa Thunder .380's. Other than that, spend some money on a pistol and you'll be happy with it. Good luck. :thumbsup:
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby farmerbythelake » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:16 pm

I have a Ruger Blackhawk New Model .45 Bisley single six, they came in .45 colt and .45 ACP. Gun shoots great,if you reload, it shoots cheap. Its the funnest gun I have. Love to reload it also. Bought it for bears it shoots the heavy loads, but I load it for target also. SS makes it look great too. :grooving:
farmerbythelake
Newb

Postby Brydog » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:17 am

I went to buy a Sig Sauer P220 in .45 last month. When I got the the gun gettin' place I found the Sig Sauer 1911 3c (Compact). I didn't even want to look at the P220. I bought the 1911 without hesitation, and I've had no regrets. I've already put 520 rounds through it with no FTE's, FTF's,Stovepipes, or hiccups. What an awesome gun. They're right around $1000, but like Preacher said,,, you get what you pay for.

If this is going to be your first pistol, you'd do good to take Tomkats advise and start out with a .22, then work your way up to a .45.

Last edited by Brydog on Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer God than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”
~Stephen Roberts
Brydog
Banned

Postby Preacher1011 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:31 pm

Brydog wrote:I went to buy a Sig Sauer P220 in .45 last month. When I got the the gun gettin' place I found the Sig Sauer 1911 3c (Compact). I didn't even want to look at the P220. I bought the 1911 without hesitation, and I've had no regrets. I've already put 520 rounds through it with no FTE's, FTF's,Stovepipes, or hiccups. What an awesome gun. They're right around $1000, but like Preacher said,,, you get what you pay for.

If this is going to be your first pistol, you'd do good to take Tomkats advise and start out with a .22, then work your way up to a .45.

004.JPG

I'm going to change my daffy quote in my sig to # of times Brydog has shown us this picture. :lol3:

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Brydog » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:48 pm

Preacher1011 wrote:
Brydog wrote:I went to buy a Sig Sauer P220 in .45 last month. When I got the the gun gettin' place I found the Sig Sauer 1911 3c (Compact). I didn't even want to look at the P220. I bought the 1911 without hesitation, and I've had no regrets. I've already put 520 rounds through it with no FTE's, FTF's,Stovepipes, or hiccups. What an awesome gun. They're right around $1000, but like Preacher said,,, you get what you pay for.

004.JPG

I'm going to change my daffy quote in my sig to # of times Brydog has shown us this picture. :lol3:

I'd be honored.

That would make an awesome sig line for ya' Preach.
" Brydog showed us his picture twice. Once in this thread, and once in the CCW thread back in early April." :tongue:

I'm sure you've handled and possibly shot the Sig 1911. Hellova gun huh ?

I even made a gun cleaning mat and drew a picture of the gun on it.
“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer God than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”
~Stephen Roberts
Brydog
Banned

Postby Preacher1011 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:11 am

No, I haven't shot it. I've handled them quite a bit though. I'm a poor college student and even though I can get a pretty good discount through work, I can't afford it. :lol3: I'm sure it shoots great though. Hopefully when we get the range put in I'll get to shoot it a little bit. :thumbsup: As of now, I want a Kimber Tactical though.

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Redbeard » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:14 am

Sodapop wrote:I have own a bunch of rifles and shotguns but I dont have a hand gun. My sister loves her Glock 9 and my fiancée swears her Desert Eagle is awesome. I am thinking I want a 45 but what is the most accurate and light gun to handle. I was thinking of the S&W 45 but would like to se others opinion.

The 45's a great round but when you chamber a polymer gun in it, you have to deal with it's recoil, at times. I'm with Preach, if ya want the 45, find a 1911 you can afford
"Jedge, y' know, suh, us all has ouh good an' ouh bad days wid de ducks. Yes, my lawdy, us sho' do. Dey's times whin de ducks flies all ovah ev'ything an' ev'ybody, an' still us kain't none o' us hit nuthin'- lak me an' you wuz' dis mawnin' "
Redbeard
Super Trooper

Postby apexhunter » Tue May 10, 2011 2:54 pm

I'm another that agrees w/ Preach in that a .45 needs to be shot through a 1911. After all, the cartridge was pretty much created for the gun. Another pont is that the OP mentioned an accurate and light gun...the 2 aren't typically mentioned together when it comes to pistols.

A heavier piece (like a 1911 or full size polymer frame) is easier to hold more steady to target, the weight reduced recoil tremendously and the longer sight plane is inherently more accurate.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Return to Home and Personal Defense Forum