XD .40 or .45?

A forum to discuss home defense and personal defense to keep out crime.

Moderators: La. Hunter, badandy970, Montanafowler

XD .40 or .45?

Postby asmythe32 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:42 pm

I am looking into getting a handgun and I am looking at the Springfield XD. I was wondering what everyone thinks of these guns and what caliber you like best. They both have some pop. The gun would be used for target practice and for home defense. What do you all prefer?
asmythe32
hunter

Re: XD .40 or .45?

Postby Preacher1011 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:17 am

It's honestly up to you. I had one in .40 and liked it a lot. I traded it for a Glock though because I wanted a Glock. Personally, I'd get the .45. That's because the service model .45 and .40 have the same magazine capacity. That's why I got the Glock, it has 15 rounds instead of 13 in the same size. I'd rather have 13 rounds of 45 than 13 or .40. Just my opinion though. They'll both be really good shooting pistols. If you're going to be shooting a lot, the .40 will have cheaper ammo. It comes down to you and what cartridge you prefer to shoot.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby deadplumptrout » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:59 pm

I Have the xd .40 and like mentioned It is a great gun, it patterns well and I actually use mine as a conceal carry weapon. My brother has the glock 22 gen 4 and it doesnt pattern quite as well. I am a fan of the 1911 if you are considering the .45 they are accurate and work well as a blunt instrument if needed. :hammer:
deadplumptrout
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:32 pm

The XD line is a series of excellent pistols. I've had a SC-40 for years as a carry or truck gun and found it to be dependable, accurate and easy to maintain. My brother has the SC-9 and it is the same...save for the whimpy cartridge for which it is chambered. I recently traded my SC-40 for an XDM-4.5" 45 (wished for the competition but couldn't justify the extra $115) and it is damned accurate and thus far as dependable as my SC. Being raised shooting 1911 the grip angle and ergonomics of the XD is very similar and comes up naturally on target. The XD's (especially the XDM) have a natural pointability and the triggers are by far the best of any striker fired DA pistol I have ever shot. Next to a 1911 I highly recommend them to anybody for any purpose.

As for the 40 vs 45 debate I'd recommend going with whichever feels better to you. The 40 is a higher pressure round and has more of a "snappy" recoil than the lower pressure 45 that fels more like a sharp shove. If you are new to handguns I highly recommend shooting both calibers (preferably from the same make or style of gun to get a real feel of the difference) and go with what suits you best. Personally I prefer the 45 and am looking at the compact 45 XDM to replace my SC-40 for the truck...but it'll be hard to replace my stainless Ultra Carry II for daily wear.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby TomKat » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:38 pm

Here is a clip of me shooting Jenson's .40 XD. It is a nice gun-

TomKat
Dorothy

XD .40 or .45?

Postby La. Hunter » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:23 am

deadplumptrout wrote:I Have the xd .40 and like mentioned It is a great gun, it patterns well and I actually use mine as a conceal carry weapon. My brother has the glock 22 gen 4 and it doesnt pattern quite as well. I am a fan of the 1911 if you are considering the .45 they are accurate and work well as a blunt instrument if needed. :hammer:

What do you mean by it patterns well? Are you saying one is more accurate than the other or are you referring to it being able to be concealed easier without showing? If its the later, most people refer to a easily concealable handgun as one that doesn't "print" or show under clothing. If its the first, they are both highly accurate handguns if you are experienced with them. I'm not trying to start an argument, but I'm just curious what you mean by patterns. This isn't a term I'm familiar with when it comes to handguns.
La. Hunter
Site Admin

Postby deadplumptrout » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:37 pm

Accuracy is what I mean, I would say the xd is more accurate over this particular model glock. Im not sure if it is the design of the grip that makes it less consistent or what the variable was. Also not trying to start a "my gun is better slug fest".
deadplumptrout
hunter

Return to Home and Personal Defense Forum