Just to drive you crazy.......

A forum to discuss home defense and personal defense to keep out crime.

Moderators: La. Hunter, Montanafowler, badandy970

Just to drive you crazy.......

Postby Slack Tide » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:06 am

Please go to the Honey Hole and have a look at my post "Stillllll Waiting"....you won't believe what I am going through getting a permit on Long Island NY

Also, please remark on how you all safely store your handguns in a manor for quick access (2 small kids) in case of an emergency.
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Re: Just to drive you crazy.......

Postby sharris » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:28 pm

I have little kids and I keep all firearms locked up. My kids know about guns and that they aren't allowed to touch them and that they must tell an adult right away if they see one. I have tested them and would recommend you do the same with your kids. I am not willing to take the risk of a gun falling into a kid's hands and therefore I have to sacrifice immediate access.

The best thing to do is live in an area with low crime and have a big dog or two. The dogs should give you enough time to get your gun out of the safe if you have one of the quick access safes. If you live in an area with high crime just get a concealed carry permit and keep the gun in your pocket. This way you have immediate access and know little hands aren't touching it. It seems based on your other post that this wouldn't be an option for you, though.
HR Annie Git Your Gun
Bird Retrieves for 2016-17 Season
Duck:
Geese:
Dove: 5
Pheasant:
sharris
hunter

Postby Uneasyjmitchell » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:23 am

Yeah, kids getting to a loaded weapon is a nightmare. Mine are older now 13/17 and shoot/hunt with me alot. In your situation, Id say put it "up" where they cant get to it, yet (may have to change around later when they big enough to climb, get chairs etc. Like top of closet, etc. Maybe dont keep one in chamber (only takes a second to rack one in). There are also small safes (like size of a book) that open with a personal thumb print. :thumbsup:
"Blacktooth Grin"
Uneasyjmitchell
hunter

Postby alanwebfoot » Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:40 am

I've gotta' ask What is the difference now from ''back in the day''. when I grew up an unlocked gun cabinet with rifles and shotguns was in plain sight of everybody .We stayed out of it because we respected our dad and KNEW the dangers. Plus we WERE ''home alone'' many times with this ''menace to society'' sitting there waiting to wreak havoc all over the neighborhood. Not trying to be a smart butt, but just asking.
alanwebfoot
hunter

Postby Uneasyjmitchell » Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:48 am

I like gun cabinets, but I use a safe. The safe is unlocked, but I have no small children and my kids are like you explained with the cabinet, they have been around them and understand to not get into them. I also have a small ammo closet with several handguns in it. I know the thumb print lock safes I mentioned were not around when I was a kid.
"Blacktooth Grin"
Uneasyjmitchell
hunter

Postby QuackerSmacker498 » Sun May 01, 2016 12:35 am

I grew up the same as many of you, im sure. Dad's long guns were unloaded in the closet and there was at least one loaded revolver not far from where dad slept every night! Sound familiar?

The problem is that society as a whole doesn't like guns and think that guns kill people (Hillary). These folks grew up in homes where guns were not present nor did they have anyone to teach them about firearms. That's why you must have your guns locked at home. Allowing a kid to get a gun will also be easily covered under any state law regarding child neglect.

Remember we are supposed to give kids choices these days and let them figure it out, not teach them right from wrong through discipline.

This discipline I speak of is a lost trait for most of our country. Look at the way kids talk, act, and address their elders. For the most part, it's a disgrace. Would you want the majority of young adults with access to a gun? When I was growing up, there was no such thing as school shootings by students. We only worried if me might have to fight a kid on by the basketball courts, we didn't think about killing everybody.

My children (2 and 4) will be raised with respect and will understand how to handle a firearm by about the age of 10. This wont be negotiable, it should be a life skill taught in school (Put that on the ballot). But if they need a few more years to grasp the concepts, so be it.

I look at my nieces and nephews (12-16) and there is no way I would feel comfortable walking a quail/pheasant line with them or even letting them hold a weapon. But when my cousins and I were about 12, we were in the line with all the other guys hunting. Never once did we have a problem.

A high percentage of kids who have the desire to learn about the outdoors will never have a problem with loaded firearms. It's the other kids you need to worry about.
QuackerSmacker498
hunter

Return to Home and Personal Defense Forum