Home defense 12 pump

A forum to discuss home defense and personal defense to keep out crime.

Moderators: La. Hunter, badandy970, Montanafowler

Home defense 12 pump

Postby GMC2500HD » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:45 pm

What's Is the best 12 gauge pump home defense gun for $300 or under, opinions on length are welcome as well I am leaning towards a smaller gun to take corners and go down stairs but dont want a pistol grip. What loads are most common and must need accessories.
GMC2500HD
hunter

Re: Home defense 12 pump

Postby :-) » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:42 pm

The one by your bed...IMO you can't go wrong. This is gonna get a bunch of jokes started, but the cheapest and best shooting gun I own is a Maverick Model 88. Just a cheap Mossberg 500 knockoff that cost under $200.00 new. I actually own 3 of em...you can cut the barrel down and haven't lost anything.

One other word of advice, buy a gun that everyone in the house is comfortable shooting. There's nothing wrong with a smaller gun. I use a Judge and cut down 20 gauge for home defense just because my wife refuses to shoot a 12 gauge.
:-)
hunter

Postby RustyGunz1960 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:17 pm

The only thing I can see that would make any particular shotgun better suited for home defense is one that is shorter and easier to wield inside your home. Since I don't dwell on the prospect enough to buy one just for this purpose, I keep the slug barrel on my Ithaca 37 when stored in my bedroom, swapping the bird barrel when I take it hunting. I also have a revolver in a bedside pistol safe. Several loud dogs are my first line of defense.
RustyGunz1960
hunter

Postby GMC2500HD » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:30 pm

The dog is still my first defense, i checked out that maverick at dicks a few weeks ago and i just didn't like it, i did like the 870 and nova i believe both were 20 though. I know for a fact the 870 is proven and benelli makes a hell of a gun as well. do either of you guys know wat a decent new price is on a 12 870 or nova.
GMC2500HD
hunter

Postby :-) » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:28 pm

If it's just a defense gun who cares about the likes and dislikes. The guns only purpose is to kill someone, and I pray that it never has to be used. Get something you can cut to proper length, and shoots straight. Sounds harsh, but it's the truth.

If you want both defense and hunting go with the 870...they're cheap at Academy and Wal-Mart. I think they are around $320.00, and an additional barrel for you to cut on would be another $120.00 or so.

The reason I keep saying cut the barrel down is simple. Bigger isn't always better...how many LEO's or Military guys do you see walking around with 28" barrels? None, unless they're hunting.

Also, be careful selecting the ammo. If you have kids, roommates, or live in an apartment you don't want to use a load that could potentially pass thru walls and bring harm to an innocent bystander. The cutoff barrel can help with that some also because its not going to hold as tight of a pattern.

Wish I lived near you so you could shoot all the guns you've asked about...that would make the decision easier for you. The Nova was left out on purpose...good gun, but not for what you want.
hunter

Postby :-) » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:41 pm

If you have a ****'s Sporting Goods nearby go check out the H&R 1871. You may like it, and it's dirt cheap.
hunter

Postby Dogman » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:18 am

I put a 20 inch barrel on an old Mossberg 500 I own,along with a 7 rd magazine.Left the original stock on,pistol grips are not the best way to handle a 12 gauge in my opinion.For me I like having layers of defense at home.Dead bolt locks,outside lights,motion detector lights,cell phones always at hand,car keys too.
Planning ahead is better than trying to catch up once your home is being invaded.
If you hear an intruder forcing their way into your home,call the cops and hit the alarm on your car,the alarm noise can't hurt you,won't help him.My best advice is to keep yourself and family in the most defensible part of your house.If an intruder is after you make him come to you on your terms,if his target is stuff you can replace don't go looking for him because that gives up your advantage.Having a dog barking and defending his pack is a plus.
Pratice with whatever home defense weapon you choose,get good with it.I like my Mossberg as it is,especially since I plan on staying put.Also makes a nice bush gun if I encounter bear,coyote or any potential danger out in the back country.
My lab is still the best hunting partner there is.
Dogman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby PNWGator » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:30 am

I recommend you take a look at the AIP Tactical web site and his philosophy on building custom home defense and duty guns. Simplicity! The owner has built thousands of custom tactical shotguns and has a broad background in using them. Bottom line weapon on a budget that he recommends is the Remington 870 Home Defense model 25077.
PNWGator
hunter

Postby GMC2500HD » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:34 pm

Hopped on a like new 870 today, picked it up for 250 cash. Overall very happy got a soft case and a 10 round box of Remington home defense shells. Hopefully I can hit the range by the end of the week and test her out
GMC2500HD
hunter

Postby MuddyWaders » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:43 am

Hello,
I would get a Mossberg 500 pump because they often come with two barrels for about 300.00. Its like getting two guns. They will usually come with a long barrel 28 or 30 inch and also an 18 inch riot barrel. Keep the 18" barrel on it. It also comes with a 6 round magazine tube. There are a lot of after market accessories you can add on to suit your needs. As far as defense ammo, I would stick with factory 00 buck. That's all you need. With the 18" barrel you can maneuver and manipulate the shotgun to clear a house just as well as you can if not better than with a pistol grip shotgun. I don't like pistol grip shotguns. That's me personally. Another way to go is to get a Remi 870 with a short barrel. Its also a very dependable gun. Good Luck with what you decide.
Happy Shooting,
MuddyWaders
In the eyes of a tyrant the patriot is a terrorist...
We need to vote politicians who bribe voters out of office...
The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory.. Aldo Gucci
MuddyWaders
hunter

Home defense 12 pump

Postby La. Hunter » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:34 pm

:-) wrote:The guns only purpose is to STOP THE THREAT, and I pray that it never has to be used.

FIFY! I'd highly recommend you remember that in case the time ever comes that you have to defend yourself or your family. Depending on where you live and how strong the anti-gun community is there, the way you word your initial statement to the police could be the difference between whether your case is sent to a grand jury or not. We are trained to listen for and document "excited utterances". If you do ever find yourself in a self defense shooting and decide against consulting with an attorney before you give a statement, weigh your words carefully. By the way, my attorney's number is programmed in my phone in case I am ever forced to pull the trigger, either on or off duty.
La. Hunter
Site Admin

Postby TrapperRob » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:33 pm

La. Hunter wrote:
:-) wrote:The guns only purpose is to STOP THE THREAT, and I pray that it never has to be used.

FIFY! I'd highly recommend you remember that in case the time ever comes that you have to defend yourself or your family. Depending on where you live and how strong the anti-gun community is there, the way you word your initial statement to the police could be the difference between whether your case is sent to a grand jury or not. We are trained to listen for and document "excited utterances". If you do ever find yourself in a self defense shooting and decide against consulting with an attorney before you give a statement, weigh your words carefully. By the way, my attorney's number is programmed in my phone in case I am ever forced to pull the trigger, either on or off duty.

LA speaks the truth...

Always remember... Your words can and WILL be used against you.

Tell 911, I've used my weapon to defend my life. Please send an ambulance. Give them your description so you don't get shot. Then when the police arrive. Tell them you will fully cooperate when you have received medical attention and have consulted your attorney... Then you, STFU.....
I went into the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.
-Henry David Thoreau
TrapperRob
hunter

Postby bubbasblazer » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:31 pm

I have a mossberg 500 defender. Wally-world sold them years ago. Synthetic stock and forearm. 20in crowd control barrel , and it holds 8 rounds. Which is great when paired with a bird barrell and snow goose conservation season. It was my first gun when I was just gettin into hunting , 20in. Barrell sure made dove hunting intersting when I didnt know any better.
bubbasblazer
hunter

Return to Home and Personal Defense Forum