what do you keep under your mattress......besides the toys

A forum to discuss home defense and personal defense to keep out crime.

Moderators: La. Hunter, badandy970, Montanafowler

Re: what do you keep under your mattress......besides the toys

Postby shoot-n-goose » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:20 pm

Remington 870 with 4 rounds of 00 buck in the mag (chambers empty and the guns ready to be racked) with the barrel mounted flashlight with a pressure switch on the fore end. Then theres four more rounds of 00 on the stock along with a deer slug just in case.
Attachments
zzz.jpg
CLUTCHfan wrote: Never bring a penis to a knife fight.
shoot-n-goose
hunter

Postby bamanative85 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:16 pm

glock model 23 in .40 sw with 15 round mag and 10 rounder, also my concealed carry gun. can't go wrong with a glock. :beer:
"They call it huntin not killin"

09-10
blacktail deer 1
geese-2
ducks-0
grouse-1
pheasant-1
bamanative85
hunter

Postby Jhaze1812 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:55 am

SureFire C2 Combat light, I have a Barretta .32 Tomcat... and the Wife has the Glock 22 loaded with Federal Hollow Points.

Couple of Shotguns for hunting are suplimental.
DONATE LIFE
USMC Pro-Staff
M2D Camo Dealer
www.tipsandtails.weebly.com
Jhaze1812
hunter

Postby joshco84 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:20 pm

Jhaze1812 wrote:Couple of Shotguns for hunting are suplimental.

Just in case of more than four zombies right?
Who knew strippers had feelings?

Botiz630 wrote:Careful, then you'll have to get something to get rid of the geckos. And then something to get rid of what got rid of the geckos. Before you known it your camp will be full of great white sharks fighting velociraptors.
joshco84
Leg Humper

Postby SCoutdoorsman » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:43 pm

2 Glocks :thumbsup:
Everyone must believe in something and I believe I'll go hunting. When men bond something must die.
SCoutdoorsman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby jasper » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:21 pm

In the safe in my dresser I have Ruger P95dc, spare mag and flashlight. The safe is only locked when my nephews are over. In my closet is my Mossberg 835 Tactical turkey with 5 rounds of 7 shot.
jasper
hunter

Postby carlschmarl2 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:36 am

jasper wrote:In the safe in my dresser I have Ruger P95dc, spare mag and flashlight. The safe is only locked when my nephews are over. In my closet is my Mossberg 835 Tactical turkey with 5 rounds of 7 shot.

No offense, but what's the purpose of the #7 shot?
"Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium"
carlschmarl2
hunter

Postby jasper » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:54 pm

7 shot has plenty of knock down power at close range but wont penetrate drywall likes buck shot. I live in condo style apartments and have neighbors to worry about that are only two sheets of drywall away. From the tests I have seen after two layers of drywall bird shot will not penetrate paper.Some people say it doesn't have enough knock down power to be effective but I can say there is no way I am going to take a load of number 7's at any range let alone under 30 feet.
jasper
hunter

Postby daffy... » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:21 am

jasper wrote:7 shot has plenty of knock down power at close range but wont penetrate drywall likes buck shot. I live in condo style apartments and have neighbors to worry about that are only two sheets of drywall away. From the tests I have seen after two layers of drywall bird shot will not penetrate paper.Some people say it doesn't have enough knock down power to be effective but I can say there is no way I am going to take a load of number 7's at any range let alone under 30 feet.

check out the movie deadly weapons. bird shot on a human is only effective at point blank and is hardly lethal. same goes for those dumb blue capped handgun rounds (which oughta be out-lawed), just worse.

think about it. court cases like this happen a lot. trespasser breaks into home. home owner fires a shot that doesnt kill, he now uses his firepower in "self defence" criminal gets off on selfdefence. second scenario: he gets from your house wounded and sues you for his "injuries" on your property.

for you sir, i would make a break in plan. most self denfence classes will tell you to lock your bedroom door. grab your defence and call 911. while dialing 911 yell from behind your door the police are on the way and you are armed. then i would find a lane in your room that you could protect the entry of your door but stay in the safety of your lock room (find this lane before it happens). if crook enters room you wouldnt have to worry about the projectile. 911 will tell you to stay on the phone. talk the police into your house, then to your bedroom. theyll clear the house from there. its important you stay in your room, some itchy trigger finger cop see a dark figuare, likely with a gun come threw a door way...

id consider a .38 special
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Postby jasper » Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:06 pm

viewtopic.php?f=102&t=90205&start=25
Re: what to buy for the home
by jasper » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:17 pm

"I use a 12 gauge with 7 shot. I live in an apt complex and have to make sure to the best of my abilities if I would have a stray round it is not going to hurt a neighbor. I also have one clean shooting lane that leads up the stairs in my house. I was taught to draw a line in the stand. This means find the point at which you consider the threat a danger to your family. You don't want to have to think about it when everything is crazy all around you. Mine is that staircase. One foot on it and I am going to pull that trigger. As to the watching your six this is my plan. First I have a big lab that sleeps in my room with me. He will bark at the sound of the lock turning. I know because I try to sneak in on him and my wife and cant even get the key out of the dead bolt before he is barking. If I believe someone is in my house after being awoken by lab I am having my wife calling 911 and staying up stairs armed. While my wife is on the phone with 911 I am going to yell I am on the phone with the police and I am armed. I will defend myself if you don't leave. If he continues to the stairs I will yell stop or I will shoot. All while on the phone with the 911 operator. In WI you have the right to defend yourself from harm. With doing it this way everything will be recorded by 911 and admissible in court. Now with that said it all could happen to fast for the phone call. I just hope I am never in this situation and if someone does try to break in my lab is on top of his game."

Funny we think a like, only you now have me reconsidering 7 shot. Wish I could get my hands on some ballistics gel and give it a wack for my self. I think I have a new research project for tonight.
jasper
hunter

Postby daffy... » Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:23 pm

http://www.amazon.com/Deadly-Weapons-Fi ... B00009YP7P

this video changed my tactical prospective greatly. i tried to find clips of them shooting milk jugs with bird shot on youtube and all i got was there point blank body armor clips. also theres a video in circulation of a officer running after a suspect and getting blind-sided in the face with bird shot from driver of stopped car. was around 6 feet from the guy. he lived, with just a few skin graphs
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Postby don taylor » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:46 am

Personally, if you come into my home, your dead. I will not risk my childrens lives because I may be sued or shot by a burglar. I'm coming for them, period.

As far as the birdshot goes, ballistic gel won't bleed out on my floor. Make that cop a burglar who doesn't have a radio and EMS on his side, it may be a completely different scenario. I'd call 911 for an ambulance, but only after I search and secure the rest of my property. I know sure as S*** I wouldn't want to take a load of small shot to the face and neck from inside 20 feet, and I also wouldn't want to take multiple loads in the follow up shots, from ever closing distances.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

Chairman- The Allegheny Chapter of Delta Waterfowl.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4277478 ... 6859634909
don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby mcclinj » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:07 am

Ruger P95 9mm...stainless steel with tactical rail and flashlight. Also, Savage Model 99 scope removed outta deer season, Start up the stairs and the lead starts flying.
mcclinj
hunter

Postby mcclinj » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:10 am

Haha...I just moved to the inner city from a very rural safe area too..didn't even lock the doors before. Now everything sounds like an intruder
mcclinj
hunter

Postby daffy... » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:04 am

mcclinj wrote: Also, Savage Model 99

greatest rifle ever made.
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Postby TNmatt83 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:21 pm

Keep a Kel-Tec 9mm in my nightstand. The rest are in the closet unloaded
Any day that starts with a cold boat ride is a good one
TNmatt83
hunter

Postby don taylor » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:45 am

daffy... wrote:
mcclinj wrote: Also, Savage Model 99

greatest rifle ever made.

Lol. Not hardly. I had one in 250-3000 and 300 savage. The angle that the stock leaves the action is terrible and you can't put your finger flat on the trigger and firmly grasp the stock.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

Chairman- The Allegheny Chapter of Delta Waterfowl.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4277478 ... 6859634909
don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby daffy... » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:18 pm

my old man has the earlier model with the brass inner rotar in the .300 sav caliber. i used it a few years deer hunting when he was down and out... im still trying to trade him my BAR in .308. rather silly but that gun is a tack driver and i love that caliber on white tail. none of my rifles have compared
daffy...
Forum Moderator

Postby mcclinj » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:25 am

I agree, If been thinking of getting something new now for a few years, but noting seems to measure up against the '99. mines chambered in .308, been wanting a .300 Savage for a long time.
mcclinj
hunter

Postby kdrangerz20 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:38 am

5 things are always ready when I sleep...some may sound crazy but have a purpose:
1. Shoes: A pair next to your bed, something you are able to literally fall into right out of bed and have stay on your feet in case you are in pursuit. If said offenders do get away, do the police a favor and at least attempt to get a plate or good description/DOT to give them if feasible.
2. Cellphone: Not saying I would dial 911 right away but it would slip into my pocket or go to the fiance immediately as I awoke.
3. Good Flashlight w/lanyard: Not a pen light or maglight...light is a weapon, learn how to use it or how not to use it to your advantage. If you have one hand on your gun and another on your light and are forced to reload, you will be glad to have that lanyard!
4. Spare Magazine: One gets you into trouble, another will get you out.
5. Weapon: Whatever you choose...practice,practice,practice. Find somewhere to simulate shooting in your home in varied conditions, day or night. Think thoroughly about the cover/concealment in your home, if you dont know the difference between the two, learn it.

That being said, I have a Glock next to me and my 18" barreled 870 with a selected assortment of slugs/00 Buck and additional rounds on the Blackhawk stock w/tac sling nearby. Those with longer guns need to take a run through their own home with the weapon as if they were approaching an intruder. At every corner stop and look at where your barrel is and think where that person may be hiding. With a long gun the first thing through that door is your barrel and it is very easy for it to be knocked away from you in CQB. Learn how to "slice the pie". If you dont know what it is, learn it. Practice this throughout your entire home as if you were already home in various rooms or just entered your home.

Always sleep in shorts with pockets...regardless of "her" requests :) Its a place to put the above mentioned items in a hurry.
Always have a plan and share it with others in the home. Being a cop living where I work I guess I've thought things through a bit more than others. Its not complicated but a bit of preparedness will go a long way in those critical seconds. Just be sure of your target and what is beyond it as well as your legal justifications to your actions. Dont be a hero, just use your head and stay calm and make sound decisions and you should do just fine.
kdrangerz20
hunter

Postby kdrangerz20 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:58 am

SureFire C2 Combat light, I have a Barretta .32 Tomcat... and the Wife has the Glock 22 loaded with Federal Hollow Points.

Your wife shoots a bigger gun than you. No offense but that made me chuckle.
kdrangerz20
hunter

Postby La. Hunter » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:48 pm

kdrangerz20 wrote:5 things are always ready when I sleep...some may sound crazy but have a purpose:
That being said, I have a Glock next to me and my 18" barreled 870 with a selected assortment of slugs/00 Buck and additional rounds on the Blackhawk stock w/tac sling nearby. Those with longer guns need to take a run through their own home with the weapon as if they were approaching an intruder. At every corner stop and look at where your barrel is and think where that person may be hiding. With a long gun the first thing through that door is your barrel and it is very easy for it to be knocked away from you in CQB. Learn how to "slice the pie". If you dont know what it is, learn it. Practice this throughout your entire home as if you were already home in various rooms or just entered your home.

Always sleep in shorts with pockets...regardless of "her" requests :) Its a place to put the above mentioned items in a hurry.
Always have a plan and share it with others in the home. Being a cop living where I work I guess I've thought things through a bit more than others. Its not complicated but a bit of preparedness will go a long way in those critical seconds. Just be sure of your target and what is beyond it as well as your legal justifications to your actions. Dont be a hero, just use your head and stay calm and make sound decisions and you should do just fine.

:thumbsup: +1

I strongly enocourage people to practice clearing their home before they have to do it for real. When you practice clearing your home, make sure you get it down to the point you can do it in your sleep. I know my wife thinks that I am nuts, but I would much rather be prepared and she think I am nuts than dead.
La. Hunter
Site Admin

Postby Bgold » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:33 pm

FNP.45 and two 14 round clips with the first 4 shots as hollow points and the last 10 as FMJ to go through walls

I'm a very...very good shot with this weapon and pity the fool that enters my home uninvited. I practice tactically often, taking shots from various positions, running, 3 shot bursts, reloading with one hand, firing with the left hand etc. I took a friend out shooting the other day and he was amazing that I could hit a moving target at 25 yards while he had trouble hitting a static target. (shot an empty water jug and it popped into the air and I shot it again before it hit the ground).

Point being, it doesn't matter if you have the weapon next to your bed, you have to be proficient with it as well.
Foamy Log Blind@ ProStaff
"Why sport an Oak when you can float a Log"

Retrieves by Gunner: 23
Bgold
hunter

Postby tazman7 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:00 am

Mosin Nagant with the bayonet extended for now, until I get my 870 tactical.
Beretta A400 Xtreme Unico 28" Max4
tazman7
hunter

Postby TomKat » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:22 am

Ruger SP101, 5 shot .357 mag ready to go at all times...
TomKat
Dorothy

PreviousNext

Return to Home and Personal Defense Forum