For those of you that can OC

A forum to discuss home defense and personal defense to keep out crime.

Moderators: La. Hunter, badandy970, Montanafowler

For those of you that can OC

Postby devildog28 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:06 pm

Any experiences with it bad or good? Just trying to see what we can expect here in Tx if the bill passes.
devildog28
hunter

Re: For those of you that can OC

Postby shoot-n-goose » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:28 pm

I have yet to OC, but am also wondering the same thing. Everything I've read about people having problems takes place at walmart, and the occasional home depot. Mostly from people who know nothing about guns or their right to OC.

I'm waiting to OC until I can buy another pistol (and it cant be from a store since i'm not 21), I'd feel wierd OC'ing with a .22
CLUTCHfan wrote: Never bring a penis to a knife fight.
shoot-n-goose
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:05 pm

NC is an OC state and it is almost a moot point as virtually NOBODY does it. I can carry concealed and the only advantage I can think of is in certain places that concealed carry is prohibited by law but unless otherwise posted (no firearms at all) you can legally carry open...go figure.

I do OC when I'm at or around my hunting club- not just on our land but in area stores. I have never had any problems as people are just more accustomed to seeing forearms there than here in town so it isn't an issue.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby devildog28 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:23 pm

Its sad that most people don't OC in your state because they either don't know or possibly are afraid of harrassment. :sad:
devildog28
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:24 pm

There is a prevalent misunderstanding of the law as well a the chance of harassment by the unknowing that causes most not to OC. Many of the people I have seen carrying open have a CCR and choose to openly carry for whatever reason...the others are simply trying to look like Wyatt Earp or somebody like that. Personally I prefer to carry concealed as to not advertise the fact that I know the law and have the ability to use the weapon if faced with the unfortunate situation in which the right and opportunity to use deadly force presents it's ugly head. Plus, more and more places are posting and the hassle of having to retreat to the house or vehicle to safely store the firearm deters many.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby devildog28 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:19 pm

We have the badass castle doctrine that say I have no need to retreat before defending myself :thumbsup:
devildog28
hunter

Postby La. Hunter » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:42 pm

Don Taylor, are you still OC'ing?
La. Hunter
Site Admin

Postby La. Hunter » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:45 pm

By the way, you may want to check out the site http://www.opencarry.org There are some good resources on that site, but a lot of idiots as well.
La. Hunter
Site Admin

Postby devildog28 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:22 am

I stumbled upon that site trying to research laws and find it really imformative. I haven't read any posts by idiots so I don't know what you're talking about there sir. I'm sure there are some stupid stories that would make me bang my head on the wall.
devildog28
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:32 pm

We also have the castle doctrine in place here but it refers only to not retreating while in one's domicile. I know there are variations across the country and there is an attempt to include automobiles and motor homes.

On one hand I like having the ability to remove a threat before it has an opportunity to harm you or others in your home. On the other hand it opens up potentially dangerous misfortune by allowing one to shoot a "threat" through the door. What if the "threat" is your drunk neighbor that simply went to the wrong house? I know part of the premise is to protect someone in the case of domestic abuse, but it provides the potential for a huge can of worms.
apexhunter
hunter

Postby swampwise » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:46 pm

a proper castle law allows whatever person is under attack to defend himself without retreating no matter where he is. it basically says, "if somebody wants to hurt you, you don't have to run. shoot back. that's one less we have to deal with."
assateague wrote:
Indawoods wrote:I had a great, great aunt born with a vestigial tail. :lol3:

That was your great, great uncle. Tell him to turn around.
swampwise
hunter

Postby marsh1buster » Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:37 pm

I OC, and have never had any problems. I OC in Wal-Mart, Lowes, Home Depot, Subway, Walgreens, and just about everywhere else I go. As an OCer you have to realize that some people are misinformed, and you should handle this appropriately. Also, it is your RIGHT to carry, but is their RIGHT to ask you to leave. You must not argue with them, but you can ask them for the opportunity to inform them of their rights. I think more people should OC, but very few fell comfortable exercising that right.
http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/inde ... rerid=6847
PRETA--People for the Reasonably Ethical Treatment of Animals

If you love animals but don't lose sleep over whether a fish has feelings, this group's for you!
marsh1buster
hunter

Postby MM » Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:13 pm

I do not get to OC in my state (or conceal). But when I travel to states which allow it, I will OC more than conceal. I have never had a problem or been asked to leave from an establishment. If you dress well, people don't even look at you twice. If you are dressed like a slob people tend to stare. It is pretty funny seeing some people reactions :yes:
Like us on facebook! Reelfishingchat.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/ReelFishi ... 6234462878
MM
Super Moderator

Postby jasper » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:32 pm

OC is legal in WI but still very taboo. It has had a lot of media attention as of late. It all started when the attorney general said it is legal and police can not harass you for carrying openly in public. Now the same day that was said the Milwaukee County Sheriff said he will instruct all of his deputies to take down and arrest any one who OC's. There have been a couple of rallies as of late in response from people being harassed by police officers. I personally only carry while in the woods or fishing. I just don't need the harassment and the court dates. Hopefully this will lead to cc and everybody will be better off.
jasper
hunter

Postby Brydog » Fri May 07, 2010 10:40 pm

In my opinion, open carry invites problems and unnecessary freak outs by neurotic and uninformed people.
There was an old lady at Walmart a few months ago that started screaming "HE'S GOT A GUN,,, HE'S GOT A GUN". The guy with the gun was put through an hour or so of being detained and checked out by the authorities, then released.
Whats the point in inviting a confrontation with the anti gunners and giving up the element of surprise when and if you're confronted with a BG. I see no need to OC unless you're in a state that won't allow CC. But,,, to each his own...
I hope all of you can CCW soon.
“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer God than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”
~Stephen Roberts
Brydog
Banned

Return to Home and Personal Defense Forum