Gun safty in the home.

A forum to discuss home defense and personal defense to keep out crime.

Moderators: La. Hunter, badandy970, Montanafowler

Gun safty in the home.

Postby fenton_3 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:31 pm

What do you guys & gals do to keep your kids away from your guns? How do you store your LOADED home defense guns? I do not have children, but I do want to have some in the future. I have often wondered how I will get around the fact that loaded guns and children do not mix. Right now it is just my girlfriend and I and she knows its loaded and how to use it. I also think this is a great topic because the home defense gun is ment to protect your family not harm them. Let me know what you guys think and or do to make sure that a loaded gun does not fall into the wrong hands.
fenton_3
hunter

Re: Gun safty in the home.

Postby MM » Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:18 pm

For about $100 you can buy a thumbprint pistol box. They will open really fast and can be bolted to the floor by the bed. I can get you a ling if you want it.
Like us on facebook! Reelfishingchat.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/ReelFishi ... 6234462878
MM
Super Moderator

Postby TEAM WEBFOOTPOSSE » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:58 am

my dad has kept a loaded 357 in his room for as long as i can remeber

he just taught us from a of what a gun can do and got us shooting at a young age he taught us to respect the gun and its not a toy its a tool
waterfowler20 wrote:
getemducks wrote:I am new to this but I think what you have there is a duck. :huh:

Are you crazy! That ain't no duck, thats one of'dem cackler gooses! :hi:
TEAM WEBFOOTPOSSE
hunter

Postby Dep6 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:22 am

My nephews don't touch anything in my place without my express permission the butt gets blistered. None of them even come in the door unless I am here. They watch me shoot some and I show them how the guns work but that is it for now, I have 3 of them too young to be shooting.
Saving the Poodles of America, one Alligator at a time!!
Dep6
Site Admin

Postby ajmorell » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:50 pm

Honestly, if it we me...and I'm sure it will be someday, I'm not taking the chance on the "they know better" train of thought. Even then, its not so much my own kids I would be worried about as it was their friends. Kids have a funny way of finding things you think you've hidden really well.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby swampwise » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:53 pm

fenton_3 wrote:I have often wondered how I will get around the fact that loaded guns and children do not mix.

whoa. nothing could be farther from fact. the stats say that kids who are taught to shoot gain a respect for guns and know to treat them in a manner that is safe. on top of that, kids who shoot are generally less violent than kids who arent. how many gangbangers do you think had daddies who taught them how to shoot when they were young? yet they handle guns unsafely and have no problem with being violent. now look at your average "country boy" kid who shot cans off of logs in the woods with his dad when he was little. he grows up knowing whats safe and not safe, knows how to shoot a gun properly, and knows not to use it to harm anyone who doesnt need harming.

teach your kids that guns are not bad. teach them to shoot and they will enjoy it. then keep your guns loaded and readily available to defend those kids that you love.
assateague wrote:
Indawoods wrote:I had a great, great aunt born with a vestigial tail. :lol3:

That was your great, great uncle. Tell him to turn around.
swampwise
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:47 pm

swampwise wrote:
fenton_3 wrote:I have often wondered how I will get around the fact that loaded guns and children do not mix.

whoa. nothing could be farther from fact. the stats say that kids who are taught to shoot gain a respect for guns and know to treat them in a manner that is safe. on top of that, kids who shoot are generally less violent than kids who arent. how many gangbangers do you think had daddies who taught them how to shoot when they were young? yet they handle guns unsafely and have no problem with being violent. now look at your average "country boy" kid who shot cans off of logs in the woods with his dad when he was little. he grows up knowing whats safe and not safe, knows how to shoot a gun properly, and knows not to use it to harm anyone who doesnt need harming.

teach your kids that guns are not bad. teach them to shoot and they will enjoy it. then keep your guns loaded and readily available to defend those kids that you love.

Very well stated!

Growing up my Dad never had a loaded gun anywhere in the house but there were guns within easy reach of anybody (if they knew that he kept them cased under his bed). But knowing I'd get my rear end tanned by his belt I never touched them without he or Mom knowing what I was doing...and then the first thing I did was to check for clear.

In today's society too many people depend upon the "village" to raise a child instead of doing it themselves and because of this the young do not learn the values of respect, discipline and respnsibility for their actions. It was not just the fear of getting spanked or restricted that drove me and many my age to respect adults' wishes but the fear of disappointing them that made us think before we did stuff that we probably shouldn't do. But we were afforded the opportunity to handle and shoot guns under their supervision that taught us what a gun can do and how to respect that power through proper handling practices.

To that end, it is a good idea to remove the possibility of temptation from kids and a good way to do that is with a small thumbprint or keypad code safe. Not having kids I do not have to worry about it, but when family with children comes to visit we always put the HD guns in the safe and stash the bedroom piece where only adults can get to it.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Return to Home and Personal Defense Forum