Duck Hunting Forum banner

A quick reminder

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  duckdog 
#1 ·
Saturday afternoon my truck broke down :thumbsdown: , so I had to take my car duck hunting. No biggie just put the decoy's in the truck, and walk down to a little pothole, about a 1/4 mile walk.Car is nothing great but it is in good shape, with leather seat's. So I left my dog at home, because I did'nt want it to get all muddy. What a mistake, duck's were'nt flying all that great, did manage to shoot 2 duck's, problem is they landed in the weed's, and I could'nt find them, after stomping around for a half hour each looking for them :thumbsdown: . The moral behind the story is that I must of needed a quick reminder of how important our four legged hunting partner's our. It would'nt of had taken Pete (my lab) no time to find these bird's. This is the first time in three year's that I went with out him, and it sucked, reminded me of the day's of not having a dog, spending more time looking for bird's, than hunting. Oh and believe me he knew when I left I was going hunting, I got the biggest cold shoulder look when I got back, that I have ever gotten, except maybe from the wife. :eek: Take em with when ever you can, I am greatful he must have forgiven me, because he was bringing duck's back to me this morning :thumbsup:

#5 ·
The only reason I hunt is to watch the dogs Sure ducks and geese tast fine But chicken is a whole lot easier to get I get a new one about every 6 or 7 years letting the old dog teach the new one I had one stolen from me 4 yrs ago And had to start all over My chessie is now 3 and is the best dog I have ever owned My lab she is 8 months and taking good notes from her buddy She has retrieved around 35 ducks And 6 geese this year And were not even a month into the season I remeber the days of not having a dog never again Thanks for the reminder

#6 ·
I never go any where with out my Lab. At times he gose to work with me. At times I have to check to make sure he is still in the truck. Next time lag something down to help make the clean up in the back seat faster. But never leave your dog home. Think how he must feel knowing that you are going hunting and he has to say home.

#7 ·
The dog woke me up at 4:00 a.m. this morning :umm: , beating his tail in between the bed, and the wall. I figured he had to go out to the bathroom, nope he went right to the gun cabinent, and started whining. So I got tommorow off have to take him out in the morning. Sometime's he's a bigger baby than the kid's. Then again the kid's are not bringing me any bird's back :laughing:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.