dog allergies????

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, swampbilly 1980, captainkevan

dog allergies????

Postby donell67 » Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:38 pm

my lab and cocker spaniel lick and chew there feet all the time and scratch there ears. we have been giving the cocker all natural dog food and hes still doing it. its perscription dog food. you guys have any idea what it could be causing them to do it? thanks for any help.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby JJ McGuire » Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:12 am

Usually licking and ear scratching is a sign of food allergy that are related to corn of soy in the food. In rare instances it can be also brought on by the protein in the food and is related to a beef allergy, which is used in some vaccinations that 'cause' the allergy. Take a look at the food ingredients and if none of the above suspects are present, I would suggest examining some of the floor cleaning products be used in the house or kennel, or any lawn treatments. They may be getting something on their paws that cause them to be irritated, they start licking and the ears become a secondary reaction to the ingestion of the irritant.
I hope you are able to find the problem; it takes a lot of trial and error. Allergies particularly tough because it may take a few months before you actually see the results of any changes you make.
JJ McGuire
hunter

idea

Postby bobwix » Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:59 am

I had the same problem with my lab Woody. I tried the food thing and found out it wasnt the food. It was from outside some weed or grass. My vet said to give him a benatril every 12 hours if needed. I did this and he is fine, 1 a day when he needs it is enough. It makes him a little more tried when you give him 2 a day, but 1 does'nt seem to bother him. Just a suggestion. It's true tho, this kind of thing takes a lot of months and experiments to figure it out. Good luck Bob
bobwix
hunter

Postby IBBoykin » Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:12 pm

There are two types of allergies, food allergies and inhalant allergies.
In order to positively identify an exact allergy is through allergy blood tests, the same tests basically that you or I would have done in a similar circumstance. With these results a serum can be derived to help to alleviate the problem.
This, initially is expensive, but the only true way to determine the exact source. If it comes and goes with the changes of season, then it is most likely inhalant and not food. Temporarily you can give benadryl but talk with your vet first for the exact dosage.
Science Diet does make a real good allgery food called z/d. Be willing to use it for 30 to 60 days. If during that time the problem is reduced or goes away, and gets worse when returning to old food, then there is the answer. During the time you feed the z/d, you have to remove 100% of everything else. No treats unless it is raw vegetables like green beans, broccolli etc.
I had a dog with both inhalent and food allergies and it was a pain to deal with day in and day out.
Breeding and Training Boykin Spaniels, a True American Gundog
IBBoykin
hunter

Postby Penguine » Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:35 pm

Unrelated, but how much would it suck to get a duck dog that was alergic to duck? :eek:
Penguine
hunter

Postby IBBoykin » Mon Oct 17, 2005 3:35 pm

LOL!!!!!!!!!!
Breeding and Training Boykin Spaniels, a True American Gundog
IBBoykin
hunter

Postby Webfoot12 » Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:16 pm

There is a third cause for allergic reactions as well. It is called contact.

My pup was initially very allergic to grass. A hunting dog allergic to grass..... :pissed:

She has grown out of it now though. :thumbsup:
Rest in peace my friend... Mocha- Jan 20th, 2001-Feb 1st, 2009.
Webfoot12
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum