dogs dogs dogs

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

dogs dogs dogs

Postby coreyb205 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:13 pm

ive had a lab for the past 8 years and i love their demeaner and drive. i have always wanted to include my dog in my passion for the outdoors but i guess they have always ended up being a wonderful pet instead of a worker... i have searched from the top to the bottom for a breeder of great workers and hunters. the two breeders i have found the most interest in are gator point from miss and duck-dogs here in sweet home alabama. i have had a black lab an a choc both in which my family has fell in love with and they now have "taken" my pets from me to be babied and spoiled in their homes... i am going to purchase a chocolate jus for personal preference and i want to train my dog myself to build that bond between dog and master, but if any fellow outdoorsmen or those who "know how to train" care to lend any advice, tips, techniques, or have any opinions on where to purchase, or have purchased from either of these breeders please give me all the input and YES CRITISIZE my ideas... i wanna honestly know how hard its going to be and if my hopes are jus figments of my imagination- basically is it possible?
coreyb205
Newb

Re: dogs dogs dogs

Postby gonehuntin' » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:36 pm

It's possible, it's not hard, it DOES take dedication.

SteP One: Buy the three DVD set of Fowl Dawgs (1,2,3).

Watch them, study them, then write down a step by step training program YOU will follow. Train exactly as you've written it.

Find a litter with as many FC's as possible in it. I always buy form a proven Sire, AND Dam. I would want the Dam to have completed successfully in at least hunt tests.

Don't chintz on the price. You'll have that dog for the next 12 years and you'll spend more on shells and decoys than the dog.

Don't be penny wise and dollar foolish.

Don't buy by color. Find a liter and buy the best breeding available, regardless of color. Color only matter in crayons.
I hate seeing a game bird die of natural causes, unless I naturally cause it.
gonehuntin'
hunter

Postby lameduck » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:43 pm

I got my male from Ashland Kennel in Georgia. My wife bought him as a surprise three years ago and left it up to Ashley to pick the right dog for me. She picked an amazing dog for me! Next time I buy a dog it will be through her. I am in no way connected to Ashland Kennels except for buying the dog. She also breeds great lines and tests for CNM and EIC.
lameduck
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:49 am

I'm not familiar with Duck Dogs kennel, which means precious little, but have seen some real nice gun and test dogs from Gator Point over the years that have appeared easy to work with.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby fireman1 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:08 pm

Bill and Ms Cleo from Gator Point will indeed treat you right. They have a couple of litters in the "oven" right now, I am getting on from the Holly X Roux litter. They have been in the business for many yrs now and have produced numerous HRC and AKC titled dogs. Most of their pups go to hunting/hunt test people, but some are making their way into the FT world now that the whole chocolate prejudice to starting to lose its hold in the field trial world!
fireman1
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum