Stray

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

Stray

Postby sdgr8wthnter » Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:45 pm

Here is my problem. I found a stray lab the other day and put it under the lost and found in the paper, but if no one claims him after a week I will pull the add and just keep him. But how well do you think he will respond to a new name, since i don't know his real name and he didn't have tags. And how well do you think he will respond to training. My buddies and I think he is about 3 or so in age. He knows how to sit and stays pretty well and i brought home some ducks last night we killed and he started to go crazy, so i think he has done some hunting in the past, i'm lost since evey dog i've had, had been a puppy. Any help would be great.
sdgr8wthnter
State Moderator

Postby Penguine » Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:49 pm

Have you taken him to a vet and had him scanned? Chances are he is microchipped. You should do this before you decide to keep him. Would kinda suck for you to take him for a check up only to have the vet can him anyway and question you about where you got "Bob's" dog. Eother a Vet or the local animal shelter should be able to scan him for ya. Give that a shot, hopefully you find his owner.
Penguine
hunter

Postby cmelik10 » Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:14 pm

yes please take this dog to the vet and have it scanned for a microchip and then have it checked over for a tattoo. If it turns out that its not chipped or tattooed then more than likely the vet will take it in for awhile and see if the owner comes looking for it. After that time then you might be able then have the dog for your own. Go talk to Andy and the Brookings Animal clinic there in Brookings he is very active in the Retriever community in there in Brookings and he may recognize the dog. He will atleast be able to help you out.

Scott
cmelik10
hunter

Postby sdgr8wthnter » Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:55 pm

Good news, the owner called me tonight. So he went back to his family.
sdgr8wthnter
State Moderator

Postby cmelik10 » Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:45 pm

thats great to hear
cmelik10
hunter

Postby brdprey » Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:53 am

:oops: you got to love happy endings ..............:cool: your a good person for what you did. maybe the owner will realize he almost lost his buddy.
I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, FORIEGN AND DOMESTIC;
brdprey
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum