Hunt question

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Hunt question

Postby keegan511 » Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:52 pm

I will be traveling to the pan-handle of texas in the middle of Dec to expose my YFL (1.5 old) to some pheasant and quail in the afternoons after we duck hunt in the morning. I was wondering what I could to before hand to help her figure out the different situation she will be thrown into. With a collar on she stays pretty close to me without ranging any however when I don't have the collar on she will go out ahead of me but will keep me within eye sight problem is not so good with obidience. she won't run off on me but won't heel up right away either. Look forward to your response.
Take a man duck hunting and he will eat for a day; Teach a man how to duck hunt, HIS WIFE WILL HATE YOU.
keegan511
hunter

Postby green head2 » Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:14 pm

work on the obiediance Nothing will ruin a hunt like a dog with no manners Once that pup realizes there are birds out in the field she will bust everyone in six states She will not listen and keep running because of the excitment Try getting a few birds now planting them And teach her how to trail heel hold whoa as best as possiable Upland hunting is a whole new game And she is not going to get all this down before you go But start giving her a idea Plant as many birds as you can afford Shoot some let others go Good luck
green head2
hunter

Postby Steven05 » Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:45 pm

first are u using the collar when she is staying by ur side or is it just on her and she knows what it is... becouse i learned with mine that she was doing fine with the collar on but when i took it off she busted... then i found somthing that was heavy enought to feel like the collar and put it on and she thought it was the real thing and she dident bust and after a while i was able to take it off. and she was fine.
Steven05
hunter

Postby tstrong » Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:14 pm

I have 30 ft cord and use this when training to keep him from getting too far in front of me. I always hunt with the collar on him - he's great with it and usually just need to nick him now and then to keep him in close. More so pheasant hunting - lots more birds.
tstrong
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum