Dominance or rough play

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, HNTFSH, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Dominance or rough play

Postby jlb512 » Sat Sep 25, 2004 3:13 am

I just aquired a nine month old lab and have been hunting with my buddies 10 month old well trained lab and I was wondering is when they get together it is like an endless fight, both male nose to nose, one squirts the other squirts in his place. They are really rough together is there a way to calm them down or will they do it on their own?? :umm:
jlb512
hunter

Postby phillipstd » Sun Sep 26, 2004 8:39 pm

Are they both cut?? maybe you should think about getting yours cut, my dog doesn't play well with others at first, actually he doesn't start it, when he's hunting he's all business, so when others try to play he doesn't like it, if I were you I'd either tough it out, like only let one go at a time, even if you have to tie them both up in the blind, they might get used to each other then, or take one at a time and leave one at home.
phillipstd
hunter

Postby jlb512 » Mon Sep 27, 2004 5:14 pm

No they are not cut, my wife and I are thinking about it but, darn our one hunting dog got snipped and he did not seem the same afterwards. He was really mellow. Thanks for the advice.
jlb512
hunter

kick the boy in the ribs!

Postby teal_tormentor » Thu Oct 07, 2004 11:06 am

Give em a good ole' fashion kick in the ribs every time he starts actin up, sooner or later he'll get the point. He'll start sayin to himself, "geeze this hurts and isn't fun, everytime I'm start actin up I get a kick in the ribs." You can take it or leave it, but it worked for me. My dog Max is a Chessie, his head is harder and thicker than a 2x2 brick, it took alot of time and patience, but his extraordinary performance in the field and water was surely worth it, plus he's nice to talk to and a good listener in the blind when my partners aren't available to go "whack em". I had a problem with him jumping on me and others all the time when he was a pup up til he was a little over 14 mos. I tried everything in the world, but couldn't break him from it. Finally, I got so fed up, I started kickin him in the ribs and he got it through his thick head.
Take a youngster hunting today instead of taking him to rehab tomorrow.
teal_tormentor
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Thu Oct 07, 2004 11:38 am

Please don't kick a puppy in the ribs. Just wait it out and he will settle down. You can't expect a 5 year old kid not to want to play, why would you expect a puppy to not want to play?

As far as hunting, if you are going to hunt your dog with another guy and dog, you MUST be able to call the dog off a retrieve. You MUST teach to dog to honor another dog's retrieve. I have found the ONLY way to do this is to work him around other dogs. He will soon learn that when it is time to work, its time to work, and he has to wait his turn. Don't start by kicking him, he may shy up to you. Hard headed chessies are a lot different then labs, I would know, I have both....

As far as the chessie jumping up on you, the way I fixed it was had a bunch of people come over and everytime the dog would jump up, I had the e-colar on him and hit him good a few times. After a few times of getting zapped he never jumps up at anyone, unless I get a towel to wipe his feet when he comes in the house..................

Don't think I am some PETA member and against disciplining dogs, my dogs have had stern discipline, especially the chessie-- kicking a puppy is just not fair....

Is it opening day yet? :salude:
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby b c g s » Thu Oct 07, 2004 11:45 am

The next time they start in just break it up and if they are pissen all over step in if they piss next to you i would piss on that spot and not let them piss there after you.
I live to hunt and hunt to live
b c g s
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Thu Oct 07, 2004 11:47 am

The pissing thing is pretty normal, I don't know how you can really break it. I never seen it as a problem, as long as they aren't pissing in the blind or around you, or inside the house....
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum