names???

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

names???

Postby KW_.308 » Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:19 am

hey guys....my dads buddy jerry has a lab that just had puppys...he is selling them for $200.00 if anyone is interested. he said i could have one even though snow is almost here and i would rather have a new puppy in the begining of summer but im gonna get one right now anyways. i went over ther yesterday and picked out the one i wanted. its a huge chocolate male, for sure the biggerst of the litter. anyways...the thing i wanted to ask is could u guys throw up spme good names for a male dog. i was thinking bear but one of my dads buddys that we hunt with when we go downstate has a dog named bear. anyways...any names would be great

-Kevin
KW_.308
hunter

Postby Mr. 16 gauge » Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:09 am

'Chocolate' Lab? How about the following:
-Hershey (Hersh, for short)
-Nestle
-Bosco

....or, how about the following:
-Nitro (comes in a brown bottle, prevents heart attacks, full of power)
-Turb0
-Dymo
-Diesel

I'm sure others will have some good suggestions as well....congrats on the new pup! :thumbsup:
"If your dog thinks you're the greatest, don't go seeking a second opinion!"
Mr. 16 gauge
hunter

Postby realhunter101 » Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:55 pm

My dogs names Deke but 2 other great names are duke and drake. post up what u name it.
realhunter101
hunter

Postby KW_.308 » Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:11 am

hey...i like the name duke, thats what its gonna be....im going to pick him up on tuesday so when i get him ill post up pics. aslo do u think he is to small to take out hunting yet, i mean hes not gonna get wet but i just wanna take him out.

-Kevin
KW_.308
hunter

Postby realhunter101 » Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:05 am

dont take him hunting yet. thats like taking a elementary school kid to high school just meses them up. But hope to see the pictures soon
realhunter101
hunter

Postby Steven05 » Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:07 pm

if u do deside to take him out keep him chained but by ur side.. it will be good exsperiance for gun shots and birds flying in.. if u even get a live bird keep it alive and let the pup play with it or let it flap its wings near the pup so it will learn not to get spooked.. i have a 3 mo old and i did that but with pigons and this last sat. i took her out and i shot a bird and just crippled it. but it wasent to far out and i took her to it and she retrieved it well it was flapping... but its my opionion.. and i think for a 3mo. it was pretty amazing.... how old is ur pup. cant wait to see pics.
Steven05
hunter

Postby Fowlercon » Mon Oct 24, 2005 3:46 pm

I don't know if I would expose this pup to gun-fire in this manner. What if you start shooting and scare the hell out of him before he is ready? It is no small task to break a dog from gun-shyness. IMO, exposing a puppy to gun-fire PROPERLY is your obligation as an owner, and is paramont to a well mannered gun dog. I understand what you are trying to do but personally I would follow through a natural progression of loud noises before trying to get his feet wet in the blind.
"It is not the function of our Government to keep the citizen from falling
into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the Government from
falling into error."
Fowlercon
hunter

Postby harvey1b » Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:48 am

:withstupid:

I appreciate your enthusiam and can understand wanting to get the dog right into the thick of it, but you need to be patient. Your pup will be very young this fall. I think your efforts will be better served getting the dog ready for next year. As suggested in previous posts you run a real likelyhood of scaring the living hell out of the dog right now. Let him come home, figure out who you are and get comfortable with all that is new. In a few weeks while he is eating you can bang pots and pans around, make a racket in the kitchen, etc. He'll start to pay no attention to the noise. That is when you can begin introducing him to guns. If you've got a duck wing I would start doing fun retrieves with it the day you get him home.

It sounds like you have a name picked out but big males we've had in past were named:

-Max
-Moe
-Corky
-Charlie

I think if I get a big male I may name him Blue (from "Old School")

Otherwise, congrats on the new pup! That's great. Can't wait to see some pics.
harvey1b
hunter

Postby ME » Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:54 pm

#1 dog name MAX.....
ME
hunter

Postby gunman » Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:54 am

Duke- my male Chessie
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.
--------------------
Hunters are alot like Birdwatchers. Only after watching while, we start shooting!
gunman
hunter

Postby Hooked on Labs » Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:22 am

Hooked on Labs
hunter

Postby BrianClayton » Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:33 pm

My dog is named Sunday, because that's her day off, and she loves it. Best name for a hunting dog as far as I'm concerned.
BrianClayton
Newb

Postby Wilsona018 » Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:32 pm

my two favorites are Drake and Gunner

send in some pictures though

:thumbsup:
Wilsona018
hunter

Postby Brydog » Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:39 pm

You've got some good suggestions there. Here are a few more.

Dozer

Boomer

Gunner

Gonzo

Like some of the others said. Dont take that pup out in the blind until you know for sure that he's not gunshy. You could create a problem that could be life long. Not what you want in a gundog.
“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer God than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”
~Stephen Roberts
Brydog
Banned

Postby 7greenslady » Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:51 pm

We have had: Choc. Fem. "Hershey", Choc. Fem. "Oakley", Black Male "Kenai", Black Fem. "Shannon", my next one will be "Denali" (to go with Kenai), and my b/f's cousin has a Gold. Retr. Male "Pistol", and last of all, my best friend's dad has named his various labs: "Kimber", "Saco", "Benelli", and "Winchester (Winnie)".

I like the idea of naming dogs after something like guns, calls, birds, camo, and boats, but I had to name my newest pup Kenai because he is a BEAR. Watch the Disney movie Brother Bear, and you'll see what I mean. Now, I'm starting to name them after places.
Have a good one, fellas.
~~~~~~~~
On your right! Wait, wait, Take 'em!
7greenslady
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum