Need some advise please

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Need some advise please

Postby openwaterhunter2 » Sun Oct 23, 2005 1:38 pm

Heres what I have so far. My dog (1year old) is broke to sit, stay, and heel. She double retrieves good on land and water. She is steady at shot and can make blind retrieves in the yard. OKAY! I shoot doves for her out in the back yard and only shoot em so they land either in the woods or the field. When I send her to fetch it's as if she is insecure or something. She busted the brush wide open then comes back as if to get me to mark her on it again. I took her back in the yard and she worked great where she could see it fall. I throw the bumper in the same place the dove land and she can find it but not the doves. She also refused to fetch once yesterday and this blew me away. There wasn't nothing I could do to get her to fetch. I let her rest thinking she was tired and while she rested I finished my Force Fetch bench. When I got it done 2 hours later I took her to it got her used to walking on it and excited about it. Then I started working on the force fetch and I pinched the ear and I couldn't put enough pressure on her to even whimper. I put it under the D ring and tried it and still the same thang. She justed tilted her head and thats it. I don't know if I can use the collar on this deal or not. I haven't ever seen it done. Any advise guys. I am puzzled. She was doing wonderful and now she seems to be going backwards.

Oh and the reason I want to force fetch her is because she drops everything about 2 feet from me and doesn't hold onto it and that drives me crazy. I don't want perfection but it has to be better than that.
openwaterhunter2
hunter

Postby phillipstd » Sun Oct 23, 2005 2:23 pm

ya you can use a collar, you should get the tri tronics videos, fetch and hold, I think that's what there called, they go over force fetching well, you need to train with those birds your shooting, in your yard, wherever the dog is realy comfortable, it's looking for a bumper, and your trying to give it a bird. and the refuseing to fetch thing will be solved with ff, i use my fingernails, and do it hard, about an inch in from the tip of the ear, never seen it not work, get those videos, try to use more birds when training.
phillipstd
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum