Lab w/ giardia

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Lab w/ giardia

Postby harvey1b » Mon Sep 27, 2004 4:18 pm

I'm new to this forum and to lab training. I have a 7 month old lab, and her training is going great. She's walking through the obedience and retreiving steps with relative ease and did I was more than pleased on her first hunt last week.

The problem is that since first contracting giardia when she was around 3.5 months old she has been on 3 courses (2 for 2 weeks, and the last for 3 weeks) of antibiotics and still has remnants showing up. Any suggestions? Do I find a new vet, keep my water dog out of the water, do a fire dance to scare away the bad spirits?
harvey1b
hunter

Postby bigmossy » Tue Sep 28, 2004 11:43 am

It never hurts to get a second opinion. If it was you or your kids would you go to another doctor. Find a vet that is a hunter and knows a lot about hunting dogs. Always a few around.
ACTS 10:10-13
bigmossy
Pro Hunter

Postby Logan's best friends » Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:51 pm

What type of meds did they give you? We just got a new pup and he had supposively been treated, but of course it wasn't gone. Our vet gave him metrizole and paccur combanation and we're still treating it hopefully it'll be gone. It comes from water and even sticks that are contaminated also they can get it in your own yard if you don't get rid of the places they pooped with bleach water. I know erxactly what you're going through. Not fun. My vet also said she wouldn't check his stool right after being treated because the giardia test will remain positive for awhile. Some dogs are more prone. Maybe look into the Giardia vaccine. Just my opinion good luck!
We only clean up his crap, because one day he'll fetch our dinner!
Logan's best friends
hunter

Postby harvey1b » Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:43 am

she was on metronitizol(an antibiotic, spell check that) and a de-wormer (but I don't have the name of that one in front of me). She has come around from appears to be making a full recovery. It's coming up on a month since she got off the anitbiotics, we've been duck hunting quite a few times(got her first 2 retreives!!), and no problems with the rear end.

thanks,
Matt
harvey1b
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum