Gentle Lead

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

Gentle Lead

Postby jlb512 » Mon Sep 27, 2004 5:30 pm

Can anyone give me insight on the GENTLE LEAD? I was told by a trainer to use it instead of a pinch collar.
jlb512
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Tue Sep 28, 2004 8:35 am

Is this the colar that goes around the dogs nose? Some dogs respond well to the pinch colar, some don't. I have seen dogs completely lockup on a prong colar. I used it on both of my dogs and sharpened the points just a little, you just barely pull to tighten the colar and they get the point. Not cruel in any way, always safer than a choke colar IMHO.

With that said, I think the gentile leader or the prong/pinch is better than a choke colar.
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby jlb512 » Sat Oct 02, 2004 10:57 am

ya it fits around the nose area. I just don't see how it will help make a stubborn dog obedient.
jlb512
hunter

Postby had » Sat Oct 02, 2004 10:31 pm

it works well to keep a dog from pulling. it worked well on my brittany. she hated the way it felt on her when she pulled, and she would heal perfectly. the only prob is she hated the feeling so much she wouldn't leave the house with it on after bout 6 monthes :mrgreen: . so i don't use it but she has definately improved from it.

had
had
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:22 am

If the dog knows what heal is (Many dogs don't truly understand heal) then you should be able to use a gentle lead or prong colar. I now use my e-colar to enforce heal (hardly ever have to correct the dog). Heal is extremely important in the field, as is stay. Once the dog knows what heal is, use an e-colar to reinforce it, they catch on quickly....
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby phillipstd » Mon Oct 04, 2004 5:38 pm

where the head goes the body will fallow, with less force, I don't realy like them either, I've never had to use a pinch collar either though, I don't let them do it wrong and it's usually not a problem, don't let them pull the leash tight, when they do, don't pull back steadily, yank back, do it walking forward, backward, sideways, do it without a leash, just make them stay, then adjust your position, turn around or whatever, move a bit, then make them heel, don't stop working heel, till they completley understand that when you say heel, one time, their right exactly where you want them.
phillipstd
hunter

Postby huntingwidow » Mon Dec 27, 2004 3:15 pm

It puts pressure ontop of the dogs nose which is where momma dog would bite when puppy is doing something wrong. It also puts pressure on the back of the head where momma dog would carry pup from. So it kind of helps you play momma. I won't leave the house without having one handy for Tucker(Mutt). He has some major issues when we pass other dogs. He either wants to play with them or attack them (depending on his mood). I love being able to have that control over him so that he doesn't pull me down. Thanks to the GL I was still able to walk him 8 months pregnant. Something I would not be able to do with regular collar and he's to much of a baby to deal with a prong collar. But our Weim Belle has done horrible with it. She paws at it and slides in the grass the whole time we try to walk. It sucks. It all depends on your dog. He/she won't like it the first time and will majorly freak out but after a couple of times walking with it on they get used to it. Tucker still does a running dive into the carpet/grass when we get done walking but at least he doesn't do it while we are walking. Just like everything else if its not working try something else. All dogs are different.
If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence, try orderin' somebody else's dog around.
huntingwidow
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum