A tough day today regarding Casey and Lyme disease

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, swampbilly 1980, captainkevan

A tough day today regarding Casey and Lyme disease

Postby h2ofwlr » Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:06 pm

Some of you may recall that my Golden Retreiver "Casey" had Lyme disease. I've been doctoring him both through the Vet and homopathy medicine (herbs, etc). Back In August he was diagnosed with Lyme disease. 1st he was on antibioctics for 3 weeks, then been on Chondro Flex II which is for arthritic type of joint symptom therapy (used for people too) and also went through a Cats Claw vine herb regimine (Alternative Medicine to cure lymes disease, a Peruvian mountain vine that natives use to get rid of parasites in their bodies, now being used in USA to treat humans with lyme disease symptoms that will not go away.)

Anyway, he lost 12 lbs in 1st part of Sept. in 3 weeks time (was 85lbs in August). We thought he had Cancer as he has an enlarged lymph node--but that came back negative 3 weeks ago. He lost another 2 lbs last week. We did some additional testing last week and I got the results today. Not good at all. Basically because of the Lyme disease complications, he can not absorb protein, thus he can not sustain his muscle. I bet a few of you have seen this when your dog got cancer, or maybe when a friend or relative had cancer. They just wither away. Very hard to witness as I've seen it in another dog of mine that lasted 3 months and I watched my Dad die over the course of a years time, 11 years ago. The tough part is watching and realizing "he used to be able to _______ and he can not do that now" etc.. Very tough indeed. Those that have been there know what I'm talking about and those that have not, I hope you never have to experience it in your life. Well that is Casey's predicament. It is a form of chronic wasting that currently there is no cure for from the result of Lyme disease.

His condition is weakened but he still has the ability to get around. So I'll be making him as comfortable as possible this fall. And as long as he can go outside and stool, etc.. and is not in pain he'll be around. I'll take him with hunting a couple of times to some of the old honey holes like the Mallard hole and the Maginal Line (after the famed french military defense)Pass where my GPa shoot birds back before WWI. He will not be water retrieving, but at least he hopefully will get to smell a few fresh duck/geese yet and maybe touch noses with other dogs at the boat landing which he has so enjoyed doing. I've been through this before, so I know when it'll be "time" to do the right thing.

All I ask of you all is this: Keep a close eye on your dogs and on other dogs for seemingly insignificant behavior changes, like they are getting a bit old/siffness/beginning of arthritic type symtoms, etc. And then get them checked for Lyme disease before there is too much damage is done. Basically I just thought Casey was getting old in the last year, slowing up if you will. Kind of like watching your hair grow, you did not notice it. But in looking back 18 months, it was rather gradual but faster than normal onset and I missed that it was coming on way too fast, I thought he was just slowing down. :( Looking back, I figured he got it 18+- months ago. As he was 9 then and had the energy and agility of a 6 YO dog according to the Vet-he had no white at all on his face which was quite remarkable and a good sign he would live a long life she said. By the time I realized something was really wrong he had the agility of a 13 YO this past August. Now he is like a 15 YO dog and he just turned 11 YO, 11 days ago. So just be aware of the slight onset of seemingly insignificant symptoms so you all can treat it early in your dog or a friends dog or may somebody's dog here at the site. Please do not let it go, rather double check if it may be Lyme disease so treatment can happen early if it is and your pooch can still recover. I missed it and Casey is paying the price now with a much shorter life span than if I had caught it early. Maybe this post will save another dog and its owners from what Casey and I are going through, and thus it'll be worth it. A sad day indeed in this neck of the woods when there is no hope of recovery of a now terminal condition...

Alan and Casey
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby bullet » Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:31 pm

I'm extremely sorry to read about Casey. I only hope there was something you could do to help him. I hate to see you beat yourself up for this. I think you should think more about the life you've given Casey then over-looking a slowly progressing illness. Best of Luck to your family and Casey
bullet
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:36 pm

Sorry to hear that H20. I think your doing the best to make him the most comfy you can. Give him an extra treat from me tonight :thumbsup:
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby razorbackhunter » Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:38 pm

Hate to hear that, man. Thanks for the advice. Keep your chin up!
My girlfriend's dad has a five acre duck marsh. I'm in love. (2008-2009)
My new girlfriend's dad is an outboard motor mechanic. I'm in love. (2010-)
razorbackhunter
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:20 pm

I feel for you h2o as it is never easy to watch a faithful companion go from full of life to fighting for it. Make Casey as comfy as you can and show him all the love and affection possible.
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby Webfoot12 » Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:28 am

I'm sorry to hear about Casey. I think it goes without saying, but there are few bonds that compare to a man and their four legged hunting partner.

I'll be thinking of you and Casey in the days to come.
Rest in peace my friend... Mocha- Jan 20th, 2001-Feb 1st, 2009.
Webfoot12
hunter

Postby harvey1b » Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:30 am

h2o,

I am sorry to hear about Casey. That is really tough. My hunting dog is my best friend and I can't imagine how hard that must be. I think it is really cool you are taking him out once or twice this fall. Thumbs up to you! My thoughts are with you guys.
harvey1b
hunter

Postby brdprey » Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:57 am

we all share in your thoughts and hope the same doesnt happen toour partners. its great to know the love you have, as we all do for our pups. if we can help just ask.
stay possitive....... love him no less then you did before.
I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, FORIEGN AND DOMESTIC;
brdprey
hunter

Postby IBBoykin » Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:49 pm

I am so sorry about your dog. It is hard. I have one with cancer, and she too has withered away. Her time has come. We will be putting her to rest this afternoon. It is just so hard to let go.
Everyone heed his warning. No matter what part of the country you live in, lyme disease is present. You can go to a hunt test and pick up a lyme tick that was transported in from another dog. Have your dogs vaccinated for lyme. It only adds about $25 or so to your annual trip to the vet.
Breeding and Training Boykin Spaniels, a True American Gundog
IBBoykin
hunter

Postby HuntingWife » Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:04 am

h2o, I am so sorry to hear about Casey. You're both in my thoughts. Thanks so much for the reminder that we all need to look out for the signs and symptoms of Lyme disease, not just in our dogs, but in ourselves and our family members as well! IBBoykin is right, Lyme disease is found everywhere that tick are. Be careful, y'all!

IBBoykin, I am so sorry to hear about your pup as well. I will keep you and your family in my prayers tonight.
In God we trust, all others must show ID.
HuntingWife
hunter

Postby gunman » Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:49 am

H2o, i'm so very sorry, As hard as that was to even read, I can't imagine your position. From my family to yours, we'll be praying for you guys....
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.
--------------------
Hunters are alot like Birdwatchers. Only after watching while, we start shooting!
gunman
hunter

Postby h2ofwlr » Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:01 am

Thanks for your kind words and thoughts.

I took Casey for a 100 yd walk last night by a slough, he is so tired out that he has yet to get up this morning. But boy did he enjoy sniffing all the smells and even waded out a bit and got a little muddy....
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:34 am

Sorry to hear about Casey, my thoughts go out to you both. I can only imagine what he means to you, but in your words it shows. I wish you both some great times this fall in the field.
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum