looking for a retriever

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

looking for a retriever

Postby sc_countryboy26 » Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:14 pm

I am looking for a retriever. I am leaning toward a chessie, but it does not get really cold here and we have really hot summers, so I am woundering if anybody has an opinion on what is the best kind of retriever. And does anyone know of a breeder in South Carolina that I can buy a chessie pup?
sc_countryboy26
hunter

Postby gunman » Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:54 am

I don't know of anyone down there, but for what its worth when I picked up my new pup from the breeder she informed me that over HALF of the litter was being shipped out by air to far away states! She said thats the norm with her dogs! I personally would have a hard time buying a pup with out seeing it first! Kinda like a used car.
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.
--------------------
Hunters are alot like Birdwatchers. Only after watching while, we start shooting!
gunman
hunter

Postby gunman » Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:56 am

by the way, if you haven't seen this site already, its a good one, with lots of great info. It should point you in the right dirrection for finding a breeder down there......

http://www.amchessieclub.org/
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.
--------------------
Hunters are alot like Birdwatchers. Only after watching while, we start shooting!
gunman
hunter

Postby IBBoykin » Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:17 am

If your heart is set on a chessie, then that is what you should get. However, if you are truly open to suggestions, then I have two for you.
The first, look no further than your own backyard, The Boykin Spaniel. The official state dog of SC. They are powerful little pocket rockets that can definately deal with the summer heat of SC due to their body size vs that of a lab, golden, or chessie. www.boykinspaniel.org for more information.
The second is a particular lab breeder. www.uklabs.com
Mike Stewart at Wildrose kennels has a fine line of British labs. Wildrose is the oldest and largest breeder of British labs in the US. Check them out, they will not dissapoint. One other note, Wildrose is the home of Drake, the official lab of Ducks Unlimited.
Breeding and Training Boykin Spaniels, a True American Gundog
IBBoykin
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum