dog doesn't want to swim...help!

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, HNTFSH, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

dog doesn't want to swim...help!

Postby JPgreenhead » Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:33 pm

i have been working with my dog and she just doesn't want to swim..she will but not very often she will go in the water until she cant touch the bottom then she will come back...and i dont know how to get her to swim after what i throw everytime....any suggestions?

Jordan
JPgreenhead
hunter

Postby caduckgunner » Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:08 pm

Do you have a friend with a dog that likes to swim? I threw out a tennis ball and when my friends lab jumped in after it, my lab followed. Can't keep here out of the water now.
Spoony sniper!
caduckgunner
hunter

Postby ME » Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:50 pm

How old is the dog?

There are so many factors need more info on the history of the dog...
ME
hunter

Postby Heather » Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:51 pm

How old is your dog? We couldn't get Abby to swim when she was small. It took months for her to finally transition from the bank to wading to jumping and splashing to finally swimming. Now it's hard to keep her out of the water.
Heather
hunter

Postby razorbackhunter » Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:57 pm

Must be a very young dog. Mine wouldn't swim untill he was about 5 or 6 months. He's three and a half now. When I take him canoeing, he swims the entire float rather than sit in the boat. It's a 9 mile float. I think he's really part frog.
My girlfriend's dad has a five acre duck marsh. I'm in love. (2008-2009)
My new girlfriend's dad is an outboard motor mechanic. I'm in love. (2010-)
razorbackhunter
hunter

Postby Admin2 » Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:10 am

razorbackhunter wrote:I think he's really part frog.

:laughing: :thumbsup:

Go out swimming with him and encourage him. But if a pup, I'd wait until about 6 months old.

The Deputy riding shotgun
Admin2
hunter

Location: lurking around the corner keeping an eye out for trouble makers

Postby lars » Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:22 pm

I started training my pup when we still had my old girl, Abby.
training her alone proved that she was very unsure of water, but as soon as her old playfriend, Abby jumped in, she went right in after her.... no second thoughts - and that was when she was only a few months old.
be careful at first, no big water-stick with a small pond. :thumbsup:
went puddler hunting this year as usual.... shot more divers than puddle ducks. typical
lars
hunter

Postby h2oknine » Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:47 pm

put on your waders and go out there with the dog you may have to call them to you. just sounds like a lack of confidence. make sure it is a gradual incline no sudden drop off.
HRCH,UH Red Moon Prairie Schooner (500)
HR Black Moon Prairie Ghost
HR Hh Harvest Moon Black Magic Woman
Nulli Expugnabilis Hosti (Conquorable by no enemy)
h2oknine
hunter

Postby harvey1b » Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:17 pm

:withstupid:

You're going to have to get in the water with the dog. I don't know where you are, but if the water is warm enough take off your shoes and wade in. Otherwise throw on the waders like h2oknine suggests. When you go in the water take a toy or bumper. Spalsh the water and get the dog excited. He'll swim out to you.

Don't rush it though. If the water is cold it may take until next summer when the dog can swim in warm water to be totally comfortable.
harvey1b
hunter

Postby newtoducks » Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:18 am

i had this problem also, I tried everything other dogs, wading out but nothing seemed to work until someone told me to throw a dummy in moving water, he went right out after the dummy and didn't even know he was swimming, now he loves it. Give her time and good luck.
newtoducks
hunter

Postby Fowlercon » Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:41 pm

All above suggestions will work. Give it time, it will happen. For the love of all creatures big and small, don't follow a sink or swim method. I think it will work, but it's just plain mean.
"It is not the function of our Government to keep the citizen from falling
into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the Government from
falling into error."
Fowlercon
hunter

Postby Elmer Fudd » Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:28 pm

My pup did great up till the water got cold..now that its duck season he doesnt want to jump in the cold water...going to take him out with a trained dog sometime soon and see if it'll help...up untill the water dropped 15 degrees(55 F)...I had no problems...he'd jump right in off the bow and load back up...hasnt done it since the end of August..
Upside Down & Feet Twitchin...
The HeviShot way
Elmer Fudd
hunter

Postby wspiller » Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:57 pm

Probably shouldnt have done it this way, I just threw my dog off the dock and made her swim, shes been fine since can't stay out of the water now!
wspiller
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:46 pm

Jump in your boat and head out from shore with the pup on shore if you have a good relationship with your dog he will follow and when he does give him all the encouragement you can.
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

dog won't swim

Postby takem558 » Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:07 pm

I had same problem until I brought her out w/my buddies dog to a pond.we threw dummies out for his dog 1st.after switchin turns with them shes taking off now.she turned 3 this year & has been fantastic so far this year.
takem558
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum