When to introduce my pup to water?

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, swampbilly 1980, captainkevan

When to introduce my pup to water?

Postby PinTeal » Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:39 pm

She loves her bath and she loves the sprinklers...but i do not want to get her freaked out and scared of the water. Last weekend at a pond she went up to her knees in the water and then came out.

Suggestions as to when and how to get her swimming?

Thanks!

Jeff Given
PinTeal
State Moderator

Postby razorbackhunter » Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:09 am

Check out the other thread regarding this subject. Just gotta give em time. It helps to have another dog when your introducing the dog to swimming. Creates a friendly competition. Even if your dog won't follow the other one in, she'll watch with an unimaginable intensity. This will teach her that it's FUN to swim! After a few months, you won't be able to get her out of the water.

I know that it's the wrong time of year, but I bought my pup a kiddie pool the day after I brought him home. After three and a half years, he still LOVES that damn pool! I believe that he started to regard water as an everyday thing. The more familiar something is, the more natural it is when they encounter it outside their territory.

My 2 cents....
My girlfriend's dad has a five acre duck marsh. I'm in love. (2008-2009)
My new girlfriend's dad is an outboard motor mechanic. I'm in love. (2010-)
razorbackhunter
hunter

Postby JJ McGuire » Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:27 am

Put on your waders and get in the water yourself, when she is ready she will follow. Don't put pressure on her to get in make it look like fun; it may take several trips to the water and you getting in before your pup has enough confidence to "take the plunge".
JJ McGuire
hunter

Postby bullet » Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:57 am

Pinteal I had my pup in the water at 50 days. I started out in shallow water about 6 inches deep and he had to make a choice to cross or stay on the other side. Once he crossed I crossed over myself and he had to amake another choice. The right circumstances ie. warm weather, warm water will only aid the situation. Do Not force the dog to swim. Make it his choice. As stated above, having an older dog to watch is a plus but I didn't have that luxury. Lots of praise, and as all training goes, stop your pup still wanting more. Never let these pups get there fill. Your Pup has a 99.9 percent chance of being a swimmer so be patient.
Good luck with the pup, and be patient
bullet
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum