Digging

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, swampbilly 1980, captainkevan

Digging

Postby keegan511 » Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:10 am

OK my lab has become a digger all of a sudden. She is 1.5yrs old and I think she is digging up the mole runs we have in our yard. I don't know this as a fact just my basic assumption. I was wondering what I could do to nip this in the arse really quick. I have a collar to use just not sure this is the route to go. Let me know and Thanks for the help
Take a man duck hunting and he will eat for a day; Teach a man how to duck hunt, HIS WIFE WILL HATE YOU.
keegan511
hunter

Postby cmelik10 » Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:23 am

The collar is not the right way to go in this situation because you will not be able to be there everytime she starts to dig. What I did with mine when she was digging was to go to the hardware store and buy some chicken wire and put it on the bottom of the kennel and then put straw over top of it. She would burrow through the straw and start digging but would hit the chicken wire. This stopped her really quick because it would catch her toe nails and she didn't like it.

Another thing you can try is putting your dog in a kennel while you are not around so that she cannot dig up anything. You never know when she may hit something that could harm her.

Scott
cmelik10
hunter

digging dog

Postby fishmunkee » Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:33 am

When my previous dogs were digging up my yard, I put their poop into the holes and covered it with about an inch ofthe dirt. They only dug in that hole once more. I did get about 1/3 of the yard fertilized before they caught on and quit digging.
fishmunkee
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum