picking live ducks up???

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, swampbilly 1980, captainkevan

picking live ducks up???

Postby sadie10 » Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:27 pm

My black lab is kinda having trouble with real birds she will pretty much pick one up everytime but there is sometimes where she doesnt want to. what do i do??? any suggestions please?? :hammering:
sadie10
hunter

Postby h2oknine » Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:57 pm

do a force fetch ther is good book on explaining called training the pointing lab.
HRCH,UH Red Moon Prairie Schooner (500)
HR Black Moon Prairie Ghost
HR Hh Harvest Moon Black Magic Woman
Nulli Expugnabilis Hosti (Conquorable by no enemy)
h2oknine
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:57 pm

Without further training, just keep it exciting for her. Throw the bird a few time is you have to .

Keep a couple in the freezer for her, take them out every once in awhile and thaw them slightly. Then go out and throw them for her. Its all in repitition my friend.
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Thanks

Postby sadie10 » Sat Oct 29, 2005 8:38 pm

I appreciate the advise ill try it out and let you guys no how its going. Thanks again!
sadie10
hunter

Postby BrianClayton » Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:05 pm

My dog, a setter, gets that way with pheasants sometimes. What I do is take a dead bird and let her play with it a little bit at home, where she's a little more comfortable - that seems to do the trick next time we go hunting. (Don't let them eat it, just play with it a while)

I think that she gets hit with the head or scratched with the claw (not with duck obviously) from time to time and she gets a little nervous.
BrianClayton
Newb

Return to Hunting Dog Forum