TEACH AN OLD DOG NEW TRICKS??

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, HNTFSH, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

TEACH AN OLD DOG NEW TRICKS??

Postby POAKBOATpeter » Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:21 pm

Okay guys here's the deal. A buddy of mine is going through some tough times and I accepted to adopt his 2.5 yr old yellow lab. I have no experience training a retreiver. My dog black lab Slick was trained at a kennel. Anyways this dog I just adopted is absolutely nuts a real savage of a dog. Not obedient, barks, jumps, etc.. I'll toss a dummy out and she'll fetch it, run off and try to destroy it! I tell her to come but she just runs in cirlces and refuses to bring it back. I can't get her to sit, stay, NOTHING. Is this dog hopeless to train at this age? I have no idea where to begin...I really want to keep her but I'm on a thin line between love and hate. I would send her to a kennel to be trained as well but I just can't afford it these days. Please...what should or could I do?

Peter
POAKBOATpeter
hunter

Postby Ronb » Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:41 pm

I would think that you would be able to train it, but at this age you proabaly will have to go slower than with a pup. Part of what you would be training is the bad habits out. There are plenty of books and videos available and then you will need time, time , and more time. The dog will learn through lots of repetition and since it is older will be obstinate most of the time. Just start at zero and forge ahead. You didn't say if you wanted a well mannered house dog or a gold medal winning hunt tester which would change the way you train. Good luck!! :smile:
Ronb
hunter

Postby ME » Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:20 pm

Since this dog is new to you, you will be able to train it to behave the way that is acceptable to you..

Have you ever noticed how some dogs listen to one person but not to others in the same family..

Same principle...

YOU set the rules!!!!
Compliance is mandatory!!!!
Start with the dog as though it is a puppy. ON LEAD everywhere.. Start with SIT and make the dog do it. Correction for not doing it and praise for compliance..
You need to show the dog that you are the leader of the pack (ALPHA DOG) I would bet that the other owner just let the dog have its way...

That compliance is more pleasureable than non-compliance...

My neighors dog is totally out of control for her but for me the dog does everything I ask.. WHY because it knows i mean buisness and if it wants my attention then it has to follow the rules as set forth by me...

Good luck...

E-mail me or pm me if you have more specific questions..
ME
hunter

Postby Fowlercon » Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:47 pm

Ronb wrote:Just start at zero and forge ahead.

B.O. from square 1. Give me that dog and a pinch collar and in one week he will be singin a different tune. You can do it too! One week to establish your dominance, the rest of his life for fine tuning.
"It is not the function of our Government to keep the citizen from falling
into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the Government from
falling into error."
Fowlercon
hunter

Postby Evil_McNasty » Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:46 am

IMO, an e-collar would be mandatory in this case. You will need every bit of help and every short cut you can find. But the cause is not lost.
Evil_McNasty
hunter

Postby Brydog » Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:16 am

Their is NO need to fry that dogs neck. Outsmart the dog! Start out by following the advise that ME gave you a couple posts back. You MUST start with Basic Obedience. When your dog has that down, you'll be able to train him. He must understand what you want from him. Until B.O. is acheived, you will get nothing but frustration and a confused dog.
Try these books,
The "Ten Minute Retriever" by John and Amy Dahl
and
"Hey pup,Fetch it up" by Bill Tarrant

Good luck to you and your new older dog.

"Train ,,,,,,, Don't complain"
“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer God than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”
~Stephen Roberts
Brydog
Banned

Return to Hunting Dog Forum