Opinions

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, HNTFSH, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Opinions

Postby Benelli Slinger » Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:22 pm

my life long hunting partner passed away last august he was a black lab and was 15 years old, ever since ive been considering a new dog, i can read and read but the research doesnt speak as much to me as your personal field opinions, im going to stick with either a lab or chessie so can you guys give me some help im unexperianced with chessies. ive heard that chessies are stronger and usually brighter than labs, but not as well manored and more selfminded? so if you guys could help me out it would be greatly appreciated. BTW i plan on getting this dog in early spring and working hard for it to be the most disiplined dog ive ever seen

heres a pic of Pepper laying in the garage about 2 weeks before he died

Benelli Slinger
hunter

Postby harvey1b » Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:37 pm

Sorry to hear of your loss. That's a great memory of the old boy loungin' around before moving onto to the happy hunting dog playground.

I can't tell you much about Chessies that it sounds like you don't already know. I hunt a lab and she does everything from running down pheasants with legs to swimming back a wounded geese. She's got one hell of a nose that helps a lot with upland hunting. For me the lab is a perfect mix. Hardy enough to run all day going after upland and tough enough to sit in the blind for late season ducks and geese.

From what I've heard Chessies are tough, no doubt about it. They sound like a great waterfowl partner. The only thing I have never heard anyone talk about is a Chessy nose. Can anyone give use some reviews on the Chessy nose? I would imagine living in NE you hit the upland birds quite a bit. I do a bit of upland hunting and is one thing I would want to check out.
harvey1b
hunter

Postby Benelli Slinger » Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:55 pm

yes i do hunt alot of upland, but ive found that upland hunting comes fairly natural to most dogs (never trained a pointer) and training to retrieve in a duck hunting situation is harder, are chessies ample upland flushers also?
Benelli Slinger
hunter

Postby Duck Whittler » Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:24 pm

I have had the privelige of having Chessie's and Lab's and I would have to say that there is not much difference in their nose's , and they are both well suited for upland and waterfowl work . As far as Chessie's being hard headed I have a blm right now that is more hard headed than any Chessie I have ever had. Chessie's seem to mature a little sooner than lab's do at 8 or 9 months my chessie's have been all bussiness when we get in a duck blind where the labs I have had seem to mature more around 2 years of age. Chessies are more protective over what the think is thier family than a lab seems to be . Chessies seem to be a little bit hardier than labs when it realy get cold. That being said I have never had either one that didn't seem to give 110 percent when they were out hunting, and I think either is a good choice for a waterfowl / upland dog. It just depends on what you like or want. I think if they come from good hunting stock you would be happy with either one. The only problem I see with either one of them is that they just don't have a long enough life span and it is sure hard when you have to say good bye to them.
Wes
Duck Whittler
hunter

Postby ME » Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:52 pm

Benelli Slinger wrote:yes i do hunt alot of upland, but ive found that upland hunting comes fairly natural to most dogs (never trained a pointer) and training to retrieve in a duck hunting situation is harder, are chessies ample upland flushers also?

I have trained one dog to do each and the retriever stuff was easier IMO..

BUt I was training to the Hunt Game standards which in the upland games is you have to be perfect and not have to say fetch twice. No whistles just you and the dog silently working together..
ME
hunter

Postby John Norris » Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:49 am

I have a 14 month old Peake from FT lines.
One thing that was mentioned is not correct, Peakes typically mature SLOWER than Labs.
I am a huge Peake fan, but it's really what YOU want.
Peakes are a little different to train than a Lab and both dogs are intelligent in their own ways.
For example, you train both to run full bore into a brick wall and a Lab will do it a hundred times and keep doing it if commanded, while a Peake will do it about a half dozen times and then quit, seeming to say, "okay this is stupid".

John
John Norris
Newb

Postby Steven05 » Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:33 am

i have 2 chessies i hunt with and personaly i like them because the are smart dogs. and the other guy has a point they are hard hearded but as soon as u get to rrealy working with them they can be the best dog you've ever had IMO. when it gets realy cold out u dont have to worry about them because they have thicker fur then labs and they can handle the weather great. i use my dogs for both upland and waterfowl and they both are great at both...
Steven05
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:49 am

Like others have pointed out, Chessies mature quite a bit slower than labs. They take longer to train. When training a chessie, you have to make the dog agree with what you are trying to make them do. A lab will just do it, a chessie will second guess you. Once a chessie has it, he has it for life though. They take longer to train upfront, but the end result is quite a reward.

They hunt about the same in the field, a chessie is no better than a lab and vice versa. It is all about what you are looking for. A chessie will generally be more protective of your kids, house, truck etc. Be aware of this (Don't leave him in the back of the truck, someone who tries to pet it may just lose a hand, ok not that bad, but they are not labs, so owners beware!)

Chessies are great in big water, they handle cold very well. They generally need a little more attention than a lab. They are not good kennel dogs in general, they really like to be by your side.

There are exceptions to every rule, but I think you will find this will describe a good majority of chessies. If you are questioning getting a chessie, get a lab. Chessies are more work, no doubt.

That said, I love my chessie and probably won't ever own another Lab, he really fits my personality...
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby Fowlercon » Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:36 pm

Sorry to hear of your hunting pal, looks like he has paid some dues in the marsh. Here's a cold-friendly for him, :salude: .

I would say that Chessies are generally stronger than Labs; their build speaks volumes. These dogs, by design, were bred for the rough waters of the Chesapeake Bay; their namesake. Retreiving and guarding hundreds of ducks per day was standard issue. As far as their stamina, toughness and a over-all "ready to retrieve" dog, I, of course, count them among the best.

I wouldn't say that Chessies are smarter than labs. I would say that with any type of dog the proclivity for intelligence falls back on the breeder. I have met a Jack Russell Terrier that could probably rate higher than any dog I have ever witnessed as far as problem solving on an agility course. If you want a "smart" dog, Chessie or not, then get a smart breeder. There have been plenty a great dogs bought and sold out of a newspaper but if quality bloodlines are what you are after, then leave the classifieds at home. Bloodlines are what you want here...........the better the blood the better the chance for greatness; Labrador, Chesapeake, GSP, Gordon Setter, whatever.

All dogs are self-minded if you let them. Every last one of them. Say you shoot your first drake pintail that you've been dreaming about mounting for the last decade and you send your dog out on a beautiful retrieve but he pulls up short on you and devours the bird to bits before he gets to you. That dog is pleasing himself. He is doing what he wants to do thereby rewarding himself.

You already know what your going to get with a Lab. As you know, they are wonderful hunters with a great disposition for a family. If your ready to break the mold and try something different, challenging and exciting, then go with a Chessie. Don't worry, all of the non-dog world will think it's a Chocolate Lab anyways.

[siteimg]1155[/siteimg]
"It is not the function of our Government to keep the citizen from falling
into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the Government from
falling into error."
Fowlercon
hunter

Postby Benelli Slinger » Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:18 pm

hvacfowler wrote:[siteimg]1155[/siteimg]

that table excite him a little bit there? haha

thanks alot for your advice everyone, i think ill keep my eyes open for a good line and try a chessie, thanks alot guys
Benelli Slinger
hunter

Postby Fowlercon » Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:32 pm

Benelli Slinger wrote:
hvacfowler wrote:[siteimg]1155[/siteimg]

that table excite him a little bit there? haha

thanks alot for your advice everyone, i think ill keep my eyes open for a good line and try a chessie, thanks alot guys

Only when he's showing off for the camera! "The Perpetual Red-Rocket"
"It is not the function of our Government to keep the citizen from falling
into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the Government from
falling into error."
Fowlercon
hunter

Postby Benelli Slinger » Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:31 pm

muahahahhaha
Benelli Slinger
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum