Duck Hill Kennels

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Duck Hill Kennels

Postby lownslo » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:48 pm

I am looking at a started dog at Duck Hill Kennels. It's a long drive and I guess I just need for someone to tell me that it is going to be OK. Have only seen pictures . Should be several to pick from .I have been looking for some time and have not had any luck locally.
You have got to quit running from things that aren't chasing you.
lownslo
hunter

Re: Duck Hill Kennels

Postby pintails82 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:27 pm

duck hill mississippi?
pintails82
hunter

Postby lownslo » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:34 pm

Somerville, Tennessee
Owned by Robert Milner the founder of Wildrose Kennels.
lownslo
hunter

Postby FastPine » Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:30 am

I have alot of respect for robert....Id say go for it!
Blasting holes in the night till she bled sunshine..
FastPine
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:27 pm

Can you define 'Started'? The level of dog you are looking for along with your future plans and style of training - may play into any responses here.

Do you own a clicker? :yes:
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Rick Hall » Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:31 am

I'd trust Milner to be selling well bred dogs trained to the level he says they are.

But I'm a little surprised you've been unable to find a good started dog here in SWLA. Have you talked to Ed Thibodeaux? Would guess that if he doesn't have something nice, he'll know who might.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby lownslo » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:37 am

Rick Hall wrote:I'd trust Milner to be selling well bred dogs trained to the level he says they are.

But I'm a little surprised you've been unable to find a good started dog here in SWLA. Have you talked to Ed Thibodeaux? Would guess that if he doesn't have something nice, he'll know who might.

I bought a 2 year old black Lab from Robert Milner yesterday. Ready to hunt.
I looked online, yellow pages, magazine, word of mouth etc. I am sure that I missed some trainers. I had my own set of standards in looking for a dog. Not better than anybody else, just mine. #1 was that I was going to buy a dog from someone who is smart enough to train a dog without using a shock collar.
lownslo
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:59 am

lownslo wrote:
Rick Hall wrote:I'd trust Milner to be selling well bred dogs trained to the level he says they are.

I bought a 2 year old black Lab from Robert Milner yesterday. Ready to hunt.
I looked online, yellow pages, magazine, word of mouth etc. I am sure that I missed some trainers. I had my own set of standards in looking for a dog. Not better than anybody else, just mine. #1 was that I was going to buy a dog from someone who is smart enough to train a dog without using a shock collar.

Congrats on your new dog! Regardless of training method...maintaining the dog so as not to slip will be yours. Have fun with your new Lab. :thumbsup:
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:32 am

lownslo wrote: #1 was that I was going to buy a dog from someone who is smart enough to train a dog without using a shock collar.
.....Oh my Gosh ......:happybday: ....lonslo , ..Hey guys I had to quote this one :yes: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby FastPine » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:43 am

lownslo wrote:[ #1 was that I was going to buy a dog from someone who is smart enough to train a dog without using a shock collar.
Thats what I love about robert,,,
Blasting holes in the night till she bled sunshine..
FastPine
hunter

Postby copterdoc » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:56 pm

lownslo wrote:....I had my own set of standards in looking for a dog. Not better than anybody else, just mine. #1 was that I was going to buy a dog from someone who is smart enough to train a dog without using a shock collar.

Saying that someone that trains dogs without the use of an e-collar, is smarter than a trainer that uses one, is like saying that drivers with power windows, are intellectually inferior, to those that roll down their windows with a hand crank.

If you can't train a dog without using an e-collar, you certainly can't train one with an e-collar either.

That statement was narrow minded and offensive.

The technology is available and it works. It allows a trainer to give a safe, timely and appropriate correction to the dog. The effective use of an e-collar requires just as much, if not more education and experience as the "Amish" training methods.

If you don't want to use an e-collar, don't use one. But to imply that those that do, are mentally inferior, is just plain wrong.
copterdoc
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:19 pm

My, but we're defensive. What I read didn't say Milner was necessarily smarter than anyone, simply smart enough to get the job done without a collar.

And given the number of collar-conditioned folks on these boards asking how non collar trainers expect to make remote corrections without one, there are apparently a lot of folks who believe they can train a dog with a collar but not without.

He said with a grin.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby rptrainer » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:25 pm

lownslo wrote:
....I had my own set of standards in looking for a dog. Not better than anybody else, just mine. #1 was that I was going to buy a dog from someone who is smart enough to train a dog without using a shock collar.

Many dogs from the non collar method and the collar method have been sent back or found there way to different trainers for a little tweeking..There is not just one way to train..One is not better that the other..The unedjucated just do not understand the ways of training a animal..Some dogs are great on the collar some just do not work well on them.ALL DOGS ARE DIFF..Just like many dogs don’t need the full FF to get the job done there just gifted that way…I can say this many a non collar dog from that kennel has refused to stop on a whistle past there certain boundry..Be it 50 or 60 yds and even at 20 after a duck flaping on water to get away..I had 5 this year from that kennel sent to me..The owners were just fed up with it and had them CC..You may find out later on that you have one of those dogs that figures out YOU DO NOT..Have that same "touch" the trainer has and start blowing you off as well…Some dogs are just smart that way...The one thing I do think is hog wash out of that kennel is you can't treat the dog like a dog...No playing no peting no nothing most people have a dog for..It is suppose to break down the training...HUMMM..To me thats not a well trained dog..
rptrainer
hunter

Postby copterdoc » Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:43 pm

Rick Hall wrote:My, but we're defensive. What I read didn't say Milner was necessarily smarter than anyone, simply smart enough to get the job done without a collar.

And given the number of collar-conditioned folks on these boards asking how non collar trainers expect to make remote corrections without one, there are apparently a lot of folks who believe they can train a dog with a collar but not without.

He said with a grin.

"It's not the bike, it's the rider."

I don't judge the trainer by the methods they choose. I judge them by the results they consistently get from the dogs they train.

A well trained dog, is a well trained dog.
copterdoc
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:19 am

copterdoc wrote:
Rick Hall wrote:My, but we're defensive. What I read didn't say Milner was necessarily smarter than anyone, simply smart enough to get the job done without a collar.

He said with a grin.

"It's not the bike, it's the rider."

I don't judge the trainer by the methods they choose. I judge them by the results they consistently get from the dogs they train.

A well trained dog, is a well trained dog.

Would that more saw it so, rather than prejudging the dog by the fact that someone trains differently than they.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:36 am

Rick - the only poster I really see on DHC that is defensive on collar or non collar is you! I'm not sure where this Ogar lives you keep referring to but what I see on DHC are guys that collar train and those that don't. What I do see is a bunch of ignornace related to both but not much bashing or arm twisting to do either.
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Rick Hall » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:45 am

HNTFSH wrote:

Rick - the only poster I really see on DHC that is defensive on collar or non collar is you!

I'd be dumbfounded if you saw it otherwise. Good to see that the world remains on its axis this morning.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:47 am

Guys, I hope I didn't start any trouble with my post, ..I hope that you guys know I was just havin' fun :oops: I couldn't resist it , and the posters' comment could be offensive to guys that use a collar. Maybe I shoulda' kept my mouth shut. Just wanted to spark a laugh, not offend anyone myself,.. didn't mean to stirr, Swamps' sorry :beer:
Last edited by swampbilly 1980 on Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Rick Hall » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:50 am

Not to worry. I doubt anybody's fixin' to lose an eye.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby theduckhunter » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:18 am

I have always been told that you have to mess up 40 or 50 dogs with an e-collar before you can effectively use an e-collar..
It is impossible to predict the response that the dog will have after you shock it. The dog could bite down harder on the duck, run away, etc... Getting rid of this newly "trained" response is very hard to do....
theduckhunter
hunter

Postby Nate_C » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:23 am

I think you will get a good hunting dog but honestly you will over pay 25-50%. You can get much better value off of private sales on boards like retrievertraining.net...ect... Look for Hunt test dogs or Field trial wash outs that lacked the drive. Duckhill and wild rose have a good marketing niche with there british dogs but there are better values out there.

PS I have been around two duckhill dogs and 1 wildrose dogs. All OK to good but not great. As far as the training goes, two were sent to pros to be water forced, collar conditioned...ect.. and did so much better afterwards.
Nate_C
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:36 am

theduckhunter wrote:I have always been told that you have to mess up 40 or 50 dogs with an e-collar before you can effectively use an e-collar..
It is impossible to predict the response that the dog will have after you shock it. The dog could bite down harder on the duck, run away, etc... Getting rid of this newly "trained" response is very hard to do....

:huh: :no: :yes:

I sometimes wonder how many aliases one person can have on DHC.

theduckhunter wrote:Hmmm, wait a year to purchase a new pup that has limited registration for $1200! That sounds insane! Look, Wildrose says that all of them are AKC limited registration:
http://www.uklabs.com/puppies.php
I much rather purchase a dog from Milner or some other reputable British Breeder(I have never heard of any having a freakin year long waiting list). Milner doesn't limit registration on his and it looks like his pups are only $800. Heck, he founded Wildrose so I am sure he has just as good breeding. I was messin around on his site and came across his Legacy Labs. Heck, if I wanted limited registration then I would pay $2,000 for one on Milner's 170 yr old pedigrees! I don't think you can get much "purer" than that....
http://www.duckhillkennels.com/dogs/legacylabs.php
http://www.duckhillkennels.com/dogs/history.php

It sounds like you are just paying for a name from Wildrose. Am I wrong?
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby theduckhunter » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:39 am

HNTFSH wrote:
theduckhunter wrote:I have always been told that you have to mess up 40 or 50 dogs with an e-collar before you can effectively use an e-collar..

What are you confused about?
theduckhunter
hunter

Postby theduckhunter » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:44 am

HNTFSH wrote:

I sometimes wonder how many aliases one person can have on DHC.

theduckhunter wrote:Hmmm, wait a year to purchase a new pup that has limited registration for $1200! That sounds insane! Look, Wildrose says that all of them are AKC limited registration:
http://www.uklabs.com/puppies.php
I much rather purchase a dog from Milner or some other reputable British Breeder(I have never heard of any having a freakin year long waiting list). Milner doesn't limit registration on his and it looks like his pups are only $800. Heck, he founded Wildrose so I am sure he has just as good breeding. I was messin around on his site and came across his Legacy Labs. Heck, if I wanted limited registration then I would pay $2,000 for one on Milner's 170 yr old pedigrees! I don't think you can get much "purer" than that....
http://www.duckhillkennels.com/dogs/legacylabs.php
http://www.duckhillkennels.com/dogs/history.php

It sounds like you are just paying for a name from Wildrose. Am I wrong?

Now you are really confusing me. What is wrong with what I posted a while back?
What is the problem? What do you mean by too many aliases?
theduckhunter
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:51 am

There's other ways other than an E-collar to "mess a dog up". Don't know where you heard this but, that's really wrong, unless the trainer is severely mentally challenged :yes:
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Next

Return to Hunting Dog Forum