Duck Hill Kennels

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

Re: Duck Hill Kennels

Postby theduckhunter » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:06 am

I have always heard that it is hard for a person to get the timing right and that there are very few trainers that are good at this. It takes a lot of experience.... (mistakes, messin up a bunch of dogs)
The trainer tries to fix the newly trained problems with a shock thus creating even more problems to be fixed.
theduckhunter
hunter

Postby copterdoc » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:16 pm

theduckhunter wrote:I have always been told that you have to mess up 40 or 50 dogs with an e-collar before you can effectively use an e-collar..

Have you ever been told, that you had to crash 40 or 50 cars, before you can learn how to drive one?

theduckhunter wrote:....It is impossible to predict the response that the dog will have after you shock it. The dog could bite down harder on the duck, run away, etc... Getting rid of this newly "trained" response is very hard to do....

Really? What happens if you hit a dog with a heeling stick, while giving it a command that it doesn't fully understand?

You might be surprised to find out how predictable a dog's response will be to pressure (e-collar, or otherwise) when it understands what the pressure means.

How quickly would you have advanced in math, if your 3rd grade Teacher had given you an Algebra test and zapped you with a cattle prod every minute, until you got the answers right?

theduckhunter wrote: I have always heard that it is hard for a person to get the timing right and that there are very few trainers that are good at this. It takes a lot of experience.... (mistakes, messin up a bunch of dogs)

This post makes a pretty good argument extolling the intelligence and talent, of all of the trainers that use e-collars to train an overwhelming majority of the dogs competing at the highest levels of Hunt Tests and Field Trials.
copterdoc
hunter

Postby lownslo » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:55 pm

[How quickly would you have advanced in math, if your 3rd grade Teacher had given you an Algebra test and zapped you with a cattle prod every minute, until you got the answers right?

And that ,my friend ,is my point. There are, for lack of a better name, dog trainers, that do exactly that.
You have got to quit running from things that aren't chasing you.
lownslo
hunter

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:24 pm

copterdoc wrote:This post makes a pretty good argument extolling the intelligence and talent, of all of the trainers that use e-collars to train an overwhelming majority of the dogs competing at the highest levels of Hunt Tests and Field Trials.

...While I don't use one myself I don't condemn the use nor do I promote or suggest it. I think it's a useful tool in the right hands.

Lest we not forget now, how it was done before the first one rolled off the assembly line. Those dogs competed at high levels and were of the overwhelming majority during that time. I hope you're not suggesting that it's absolutely necessary to use a collar in order to get there. Competing is one thing , winning is another, I don't think it matters if you get there in a Volkswagon or in a Cadillac as long as you get there. My guess is that there probably some bloodlines still around that we are buying as pups from the era then, and those originating bloodlines never knew what a nick or collar conditioning was.
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby HNTFSH » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:35 pm

I hate this debate.

IT'S A TOOL JUST LIKE ANY OTHER TOOL - PERIOD!!!! It's not a magic bullet and should never be used like one (although the COMPLETELY UNINFORMED USE IT AS SUCH). Chokers, pinch collars, heeling sticks, sling shots, cattle prods, leashes, treats, praise, clickers, Eye contact, voice influction, body language, etc, etc are all tools to a dog trainer.

Tools don't train or ruin dogs - PEOPLE DO. More dogs are treated for neck injuries from over use of choke collars than any other dog training tool.

Like a handgun - learn how to use one correctly and it is safe and effective. Start playing russion roulette and looking down the barrel and ooopsie.

It's electrical stimulation not electrocution!

I see so much ignorance on BOTH sides of this debate it makes me wonder how we function as humans.

There...I feel better. :yes:
Cabela's Worlds FARCEMOST Outfitter
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby swampbilly 1980 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:41 am

HNTFSH wrote:Tools don't train or ruin dogs - PEOPLE DO. More dogs are treated for neck injuries from over use of choke collars than any other dog training tool.

:ditto: ...HNTFSH..I'm glad you feel better :lol3: I hate the issue too :beer:
Swampbilly1980- I got a feeva',..and the only cure is more Mergansers and face paint.
swampbilly 1980
Forum & State Moderator

Postby tomoakwood » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:43 pm

Buyer Beware:

We bought a puppy from Milner's Duckhill Kennels, and took delivery in early December. Within the the first week of ownership, we discovered the dog was infested with parasites (Coccidia and Giardia) , and we have spent a month, and some $400 trying to cure this problem with our vet.

Duckhill Kennel's response from Liz London is that these are health issues "well within the realistic responsibilities of pet ownership.". This is after she acknowledges that "their area" is rampant with Giardia, and solicited information as to what medicines our vet was prescribing.

Robert Milner would not respond to my emails, nor return any requests for a phone conversation.
tomoakwood
Newb

Postby drjsm » Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:58 pm

As per the webpage Mr. Milner's cell number is 901-428-6694. He is a very reasonable man. I'm sure he will make it right.
drjsm
Newb

Postby Takem_Brewer » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:23 pm

Both giardia and coccidia can be brought on due to stress and going to a new home can be extremely stressful on a puppy. I'm sorry you are going through this, but it is also something that every new dog owner should be prepared for as it is very common for puppies to have parasites (especially coccidia). I do agree that they should be trying to treat the area for giardia though.

Albon works really well for coccidia and is not too expensive. You can get a large bottle of it for $80 from your vet and it is a ten day treatment. Just keep trying and I'm sure he will respond. I know nothing about the breeder besides the obvious from his website.
Hiland's Talkin Bout My Girl | Vada
Eyez to the Sky Morning Teal | Teal
Ottercreek's Wake Up Little Susie | Susie
Takem_Brewer
hunter

Postby Irishwhistler » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:30 am

HNTFSH wrote:I hate this debate.

IT'S A TOOL JUST LIKE ANY OTHER TOOL - PERIOD!!!! It's not a magic bullet and should never be used like one (although the COMPLETELY UNINFORMED USE IT AS SUCH). Chokers, pinch collars, heeling sticks, sling shots, cattle prods, leashes, treats, praise, clickers, Eye contact, voice influction, body language, etc, etc are all tools to a dog trainer.

Tools don't train or ruin dogs - PEOPLE DO. More dogs are treated for neck injuries from over use of choke collars than any other dog training tool.

Like a handgun - learn how to use one correctly and it is safe and effective. Start playing russion roulette and looking down the barrel and ooopsie.

It's electrical stimulation not electrocution!

I see so much ignorance on BOTH sides of this debate it makes me wonder how we function as humans.

HNTFSH,
Very well put and I concur fully. :thumbsup:

Irishwhistler
"TEAM TRAD" - Pro Staff
DUBLIN DUCK DYNASTY
Irishwhistler
hunter

Previous

Return to Hunting Dog Forum