Dog wont pick up cripples?

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

Dog wont pick up cripples?

Postby caduckgunner » Sat Oct 29, 2005 11:40 pm

My spinger wont pick up criple ducks. Today he charges out ater a Cin. Teal. It was still alive and swiming in circles. When he approched it, it snapped at him hiw it's beak. He go scared and keepd jumping around it and barking at it. How can I fix this. HELP!!!! :help:
Spoony sniper!
caduckgunner
hunter

Postby openwaterhunter2 » Sun Oct 30, 2005 6:52 am

Wing lock some pigeons in the yard for him. When he starts barking at it just walk out to him and reasure him with praise. Build his confidence up. I had to do this with a pointer once.
openwaterhunter2
hunter

Postby ME » Sun Oct 30, 2005 6:56 pm

Wing lock some pigeons in the yard for him. When he starts barking at it just walk out to him and reasure him with praise. Build his confidence up. I had to do this with a pointer once.

Good advice,

How old is the dog and has he picked up cripples before?
ME
hunter

Postby choclab » Sun Oct 30, 2005 8:59 pm

If he is younger encourage him alot and let him carry the winglocked pigeon for a little bit. Walk with him after he picks it up and praise alot.
"The rich....who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own exertions, are the real enemies of game". Teddy Roosevelt
choclab
hunter

Postby caduckgunner » Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:58 am

Thanks for the advise. No he has never picked up a cripple before. He is only 1 1/2 years old.
Spoony sniper!
caduckgunner
hunter

Postby maddiedog » Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:04 am

How do you get a hold of pigeons and how do you wing lock them? My pup will swim her heart out and pick of the duck. It will move and she will drop it and swim back. If it is dead she doesn't have any problems...except for bringing it ALL the way back. She usually comes up about 3 yards shy and starts to pluck it for me. She is my hunting dog, but my wifes baby...not a good mix. She listens to me but not her. Thanks for any advice.
maddiedog
hunter

Postby openwaterhunter2 » Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:15 am

I use a pigeon trap. I just go to a bridge I know they use alot and set it out with seed in it. To wing lock one you over lap the wings front to back and let the feathers lock em together. The pigeon should look kinda like a sail boat once you lock the wings.
openwaterhunter2
hunter

Postby ME » Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:11 pm

To wing lock:
Grab the pigeon and hold them by the wings in one hand.

THen grab one wing and put it infront of the other and wrap it around the back of the other wing. when you do this the bird can't undo it. If you can't figure it out from the discription use a zip tie and zip tie the wings together in the up position and then just throw it for the dog.. Do it with a dead pigeon first. Then the live wing clipped and if the dog kills the bird that is fine the dog can do no wrong with this!!!! remember we are trying to build confidence...
ME
hunter

Postby Thunder Force Kennels » Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:52 pm

I just clip the flight feathers on one wing if I'm not going to use them as shot flyers.

I agree with giving him praise also, i just wouldn't do it when he barks, that may encourage him to keep barking at cripples. If he barks at them, I'd pick it up, tease him with it rethrow it (like a fun bird, no steadiness) and encourage him with an excited voice and give him TONS of praise when he picks it up. Just my .02 cents.
Thunder Force Kennels
account suspended for biz name useage

Postby cmelik10 » Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:29 pm

Force fetch the dog and it will give you a tool to use out in the field if the dog decides that they don't want ot pick up the bird crippled or not. When the dog gets to the bird and won't pick it up you can tell him fetch and if he is thoroughly Forced including collar fetched you can give him a "fetch-nic-fetch". If collar fetch the dog please do yourself a favor and get an established program to follow.

I would most definatley get some wing clipped pigeons and let the dog chase them around and increase it prey drive. Give the dog TONS and TONS of praise when he picks up the bird. He will get the idea that you are happy with him when he picks up the bird. When I say TONS and TONS of praise I mean make it look like he has just won the National Amature Field Trial or a Master Hunter Title make him think that he is the king of the planet at that point in time.

Good luck with your dog
Scott
cmelik10
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum