Duck Hunting Forum banner

feet/pad problems

871 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  IBBoykin 
#1 ·
O.K., I'm hoping someone can help me.....I have a 5 y.o. female Chesapeake Bay Retriever that I hunt for both duck and upland. The problem I have is that when she runs, the first toe nails on her back feet rub against her 2nd toe and creates a nasty abrasion, causing her to come up lame. Dog boots don't work, as the toe still rubs against the nail while in the boot. Has anyone ever had a similar problem? She is usually out for 3-4 days after hunting upland, and I'm thinking about getting a second dog just for hunting upland (which is going over like a lead balloon with the wife). Any input that could help me with the problem would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

#3 ·
Good response. I was about to ask if the dogs toe nails are long. They should be trimmed at least once per month. You can also use a dremmel tool with a tip that is similar in looks and shape to a drum sander.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.