Dog Training

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

Dog Training

Postby desertduck » Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:14 am

I have read almost every post on this site and think that it is great. My question is I have a 3 yom lab that was a decent dog. I have been deployed to Iraq for the past year and was wondering if i will have to completely retrain him or should he be able to pick most of it back up again? Is it too late to start working him for AKC hunt tests? Thanks
desertduck
Newb

Postby JJ McGuire » Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:43 am

:welcome: Welcome and thanks for serving. :thumbsup:
You should start over from square one but the learning curve will be quicker due to your previous work. It is never to late to train I have had some people in my club start with dogs that were five and six years old and they were successful running tests. :smile:
JJ McGuire
hunter

Postby IBBoykin » Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:34 pm

If you could corner a pro trainer that gets dogs back in yearly for refresher courses, they will tell you these dogs are gravy money for them, since with the vast majority of them they only have to drill them on obedience and the rest falls right in place, with one or two minor exceptions.
I second the motion: Thanks for serving. I served in the Navy and am proud of all of you over there.
Breeding and Training Boykin Spaniels, a True American Gundog
IBBoykin
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:47 pm

Like the others have said, once you have conditioned a response to a command, it will be forgotten if not used regularly, but not totally forgotten. When you get back into training, the conditioning will rebound much quicker than original teaching.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby Brydog » Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:01 pm

Thanks for keeping us all safe. Your dog should be fine after a refresher in basic obedience. He didnt forget his training , you just gotta polish it up.
Good luck with your Dawg!
“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer God than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”
~Stephen Roberts
Brydog
Banned

Return to Hunting Dog Forum