I lost my buddy today...

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

I lost my buddy today...

Postby h2ofwlr » Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:51 pm

Today was very suited for a waterfowl hunting day, low clouds, a bit of wind, and then the sun broke out and the wind picked up, a good hunting day indeed. But instead of going hunting like I would normally have done, I had to do one of the hardest things a grown man sometimes needs to do in life. So shortly before 2:30pm CST today Casey received a dose of meds that stopped his heart but it also stopped his suffering from the effects of the Lyme disease that was devastating his body, and which finally effected his spirit the last couple of days.

He quit walking early Sun AM, I wanted to take him on one last hunt Sunday, but his back legs said no. Yesterday AM he could not stand. I knew it was "time", unfortunately my Mom was rushed to the ER because she had chest pains yesterday morning, turned out not to be a heart attack and she was back home last night, but it delayed a day in which I knew it was time. Last night he only ate 3 small pieces of steak fat, and would not touch the rest that I had prepared. He loved meat treats trimmings like beef, chicken or ham. Just another sure sign it was time. Well this AM Casey wimpered a bit as he was lieing down as I sat in my office, turned out he urinated, and he knew that was not allowed inside. And shortly there after he lost the ability to control his bladder as a little bit would come out every so often. He just looked at me with tired eyes, and I knew that he also knew that his end was near as he had lost his desire to live. His back 1/2 went completely limp by Noon. When I called the Vet this AM, soonest was 2pm, so we had to wait a bit longer. My Mom and sister got to say goodbye as they were really fond of him too as they saw him often.

So shortly before 2:30 Casey joined my Dad and GrandPa and the other dogs we have had over the years in the happy hunting grounds where the dogs get to retrieve to their hearts desire and the guys never have a bad day of hunting.

I buried his body this afternoon with the other 6 dogs at my folks place. He had his big ol' rawhide knot bone with him and his leash, along with his bones and toys that he enjoyed when at my Moms. There is a regular dog cemetary there, markers and all. I guess we honor our dogs more than some folks do, but what the heck, you might as well as we sure are fond of them and they have added so much to our lives. Seems like it is the right thing to do.

I got Casey in Dec 6th of 1994 when he was a little "butterscotch" bundle of joy. I remember Christmas that year, when Mom tried to put diapers on him as she feared he would pee on the new carpeting. What a laugh by everybody, and he knew he was the center of attention too, and thrived on it. Less than a year later he was the one that comforted me when my Dad finally died from heart ailments after a prolonged illness. Often he would put his head in my lap when I was down, and I would remember that life goes on.

His first "real" impressive retrieve was in ND in the end of Oct in 1995. A friend has body shot a Widgeon and it went down over a 1/3 of a mile away. We were on top of a hill so I had a good idea where it went down in the waist high CRP field, we walked down wind of where I thought the bird had went down. Every so often Casey would look at me like. Hey Boss, what are we doing in this thick stuff for? I just encouraged him to "Hunt 'em up!". A short time later his head snapped a hard right and his tail "got hot", and he looked at me and I encouraged him and off he went, nose low and then nose high on the scent, and after over 200' he found where the bird had hit in the tall grass, and I just encouraged him more, after 80+' of him on the trial he finally found that widgeon, but could not get him out of the grass, turned out he had a mouth full of thick grass and the live wigeon and he was playing tug of war with the grass, he finally turned to me with that bird and mouth full of grass and did his "Hey Boss, look what I found!" look, I told him to heal and he did so while doing the "I'm the hottest best damned dog there is" gait as he came to me. Folks, you just can not teach that to a dog, either they have "it" or they do not. You are lucky to have 1 dog in your lifetime that has "it", heck here I was blessed with a 2nd dog with "it".

The pic on my avatar is of when we were fishing, when he was younger he used to perch on top of the 10hp motor while I fished, lots of laughs by everybody and bets on how long before he fell off. Oh yes, he loved to fish too, and on more than one occasion he was caught stealing other fishermens catch thinking he was supposed to retrieve them back to me.

He hunted a lot in MN, ND, and MB, and even trips to SK and other states all in the pursuit of ducks and geese. Probably his best day was last spring, when I downed a pile of S&Bs in ND, many went body shot past the field we were in, into the cattails full of ice and water. He did over 12 blind retrieves, all the while I just coaxed him a bit as I noticed he was slowing down. I thought it was just old age, little did I know it was Lyme disease starting to show the suttle signs of its presence.

But he lived to be near me. Often he was in the back of my truck, and I have a kennel at work so daily rides were expected. If he was not in the truck the 1st ? most always asked was, "where's the dog?" being he was such a fixture being with me. Yup he was my buddy, and I was his buddy. It does not get any better than that for a guy and his dog.

So long good buddy, you were one special dog, and you will be missed, but not forgotten. So long old friend, until the day in the future that we meet again.

Alan

Casey
[siteimg]1198[/siteimg]

A few years back
[siteimg]1196[/siteimg]

The MN WF.C VFE hunt a few years back.
[siteimg]1197[/siteimg]

See his nose :mrgreen: --he loved the springtime adventures of installing/maintaining Woodie and Mallard nests.
[siteimg]250[/siteimg]

In all his glory in MB 5 yrs ago.
[siteimg]74[/siteimg]

A banded BWTeal that he retreived on the 2nd day of the season a few years ago.
[siteimg]72[/siteimg]

And lastly, this past spring in ND on the day he did 12 blind retrieves.
[siteimg]467[/siteimg]
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Steven05 » Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:20 pm

hey man im sorry to hear about ur dog. he sounds like a great dog. and i no how u feel i had a great hunting partner and she died and i felt like i could not awn another dog after that.. but hey im truly sorry.... he has my prayers
Steven05
hunter

loss of best friend

Postby pointimgdogs » Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:23 pm

Alan, Thank you for sharing the photos and memories of Casey. Does it not seem so unfair that we can only have our best friends for such a short time. JMB
pointimgdogs
hunter

Postby cmelik10 » Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:23 pm

very nice tribute. I am sorry to hear about your loss of Casey, I know that he is in a place now where he feels no more pain and is out pickin up ducks till his hearts content.
cmelik10
hunter

Postby kcduckslayer » Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:25 pm

I am sorry for your loss. My family loss both of my childhood pet within a month of each other. I know its hard. I really don't even know what to tell you.
kcduckslayer
hunter

Postby Benelli Slinger » Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:28 pm

sorry for your loss man, losing a dog is tough, hes at the place where the birds never stop flying now
Benelli Slinger
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:32 pm

h20....

I am TRUELY sorry to hear of your loss. I unfortunately had to do the same thing about 2 1/2 years ago.....

Im shure hes in a better place waggin his tail and chasin cats as we speak :thumbsup:

Again, my condolances.
-Matt
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby Webfoot12 » Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:04 pm

I am so sorry H2O. I feel for you from the bottom of my heart.

Here's to Casey....and the many memories each of our hunting dogs have given us over the years....

God Bless
Rest in peace my friend... Mocha- Jan 20th, 2001-Feb 1st, 2009.
Webfoot12
hunter

Postby Snaph » Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:08 pm

Alan, that was a great tribute to your friend and hunting partner. My buddy had to put his black lab Charlotte down last year. Charlotte was my dog (that was not my dog) at a bad time in my life when I could not have a dog. I was always happy to "dog sit" her when needed. The only reason I tell you this, is because I was crushed when she had to be put down, so I can't even begin to think how you feel.
I'm sorry for your loss of Casey. My best to you.

[siteimg]1199[/siteimg]
Snaph
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:13 pm

I am sooo sorry for the loss of your pal. ACE has been with me almost every day since i got him 2 1/2 yrs ago. I don't know what i'll do with out him. Great pics of him and you. He looked like he loved every single minute of it. like snaph said, great tribute. :thumbsup:
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:24 pm

I am very sorry to hear about your loss. In the short time I have come to know you on DHC, your love and adoration for Casey has been clear as day. My heart and my wishes go out to you for your loss.
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:31 pm

H20--Alan,

Sorry to hear about your loss, at the same time, glad to see him suffer no more. Its no secret on here that I thought he was the prettiest dog around, looks like he was a hell of a hunter too.

My thoughts are with ya man.

Mike
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby roscoesbuddy » Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:23 pm

Sorry for your loss Alan just keep the good times close. You’re in our thoughts and prayers.
"a day can change in one wingbeat"
roscoesbuddy
hunter

Postby gunman » Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:25 pm

awww h20, I'm right there with ya, my 15 yr old chessie is nearing his final day. What you wrote was great, I just never could understand why we have such great things in our lives for such short periods of time. I pray my pooch will make it till atleast mid winter, but I know I'm kidding myself. I'll keep you guys in my prayers.... -Chris
My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.
--------------------
Hunters are alot like Birdwatchers. Only after watching while, we start shooting!
gunman
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:54 am

Really sorry to hear that H20. You are remembering him the right way though, with all those pictures.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby maddiedog » Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:05 am

Thank-you for that awesome story! I could only hope that my pup will someday be that calm. You really helped me appriciate all of the time that I have spent with her and the bond that I have formed. I am so sorry for your loss. I am pretty choked up about it. Heres to hoping that your next dog will have "it" as well.
maddiedog
hunter

Postby MattM1 » Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:30 am

I'm sorry to hear about your loss H20. It seems like Casey was one heck of a partner. I never understood how it is fair that these great animals that give us 100% devotion and dedication have to pass before us, I guess the man upstairs knows it would be too hard on them to watch us pass. Enjoy all the good memories and take care.

Matt
TO THE GUNS TO THE GUNS!!!!!!
MattM1
hunter

Postby brdprey » Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:47 am

WELL CRUD.......ya made me a little on the foggy side. it will definately put things into perspective for my pup and my self. i hope that we have that kind of relationship that you did. thanks for the read partner.
I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, FORIEGN AND DOMESTIC;
brdprey
hunter

Postby 7greenslady » Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:32 pm

H20, that was a beautiful tribute. I can only hope a for a wonderful relationship like that with my dog some day. An ecellent dog and an excellent hunter come from something more than the days spent training, these are characteristics that come from within a person, and a good person at that. I'm sorry for your loss.
~~~~~~~~
On your right! Wait, wait, Take 'em!
7greenslady
hunter

Postby reedp79 » Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:37 pm

Sorry for your loss. You wrote a great tribute to your best friend. It is truly rare that we find such a companion with undying devotion to us. They continue to love us faults and all. Even more special is the times we have to enjoy afield with them. Im sure your best friends in a better place looking down on you waiting for that next retrieve.
reedp79
hunter

A Great dog

Postby Dep666 » Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:12 pm

Well what more can be said. It sounds like you had a relationship with your dog like I have with mine. There are a lot of people out there that have dogs as pets. There are few people out there that consider dogs as a family member. Your tribute to your hunting partner definelty describes what side of the fence you are on. What a great tribute and what a sad story. It sounds like the Casey lived a great life and did what he loved to do......." Gettin dem birds." My condolances brother.
Dep666
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:42 pm

Sorry to hear about your loss. Even though Casey is gone his memories will live with you for ever. An old coon hunter once told me that in a hunters memory great dogs become legendary and good dogs become great. Its because we choose to remember all the best of them. Chin up Allan and start looking to bring another pup up to be a legend. :thumbsup:
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby Fowlercon » Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:12 pm

Alan, that is one of the most moving tributes I have ever read on ANY forum. Hats off to your grace and perseverance through this hard time. Casey was truely a stunning dog to behold. I'll share this with you........

Being a veterinarian I was called to check on a ten-year-old Irish Wolfhound named Belker. The dog's owner, his wife, and their little boy were all very attached to Belker and they were hoping for a miracle. I examined Belker and found he was dying of cancer. I told the family there were no miracles left for Belker, and offered to perform the euthanasia procedure for the old dog in their home. As we made arrangements, the owners told me they thought it would be good for the four-year-old boy to observe the procedure. They felt he could learn something from the experience.

The next day, I felt the familiar catch in my throat as Belker's family surrounded him. The little boy seemed so calm, petting the old dog for the last time, that I wondered if he understood what was going on.

Within a few minutes, Belker slipped peacefully away. The little boy seemed to accept Belker's transition without any difficulty or confusion. We sat together for a while after Belker's death, wondering aloud about the sad fact that animal lives are shorter than human lives. The little boy, who had been listening quietly, piped up, "I know why."

Startled, we all turned to him. What came out of his mouth next stunned me. I'd never heard a more comforting explanation. He said, "Everybody is born so that they can learn how to live a good life - like loving everybody and being nice, right?" The four-year old continued, "Well, animals already know how to do that, so they don't have to stay as long."
"It is not the function of our Government to keep the citizen from falling
into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the Government from
falling into error."
Fowlercon
hunter

Postby openwaterhunter2 » Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:17 pm

Man........sorry you lost your best friend bro. I must say he was a hansome devil though.
openwaterhunter2
hunter

Postby Fowlercon » Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:28 pm

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.
All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...
"It is not the function of our Government to keep the citizen from falling
into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the Government from
falling into error."
Fowlercon
hunter

Next

Return to Hunting Dog Forum