started force fetch today

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

started force fetch today

Postby openwaterhunter2 » Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:15 pm

I started force fetch training my pup today and to say I think I have grown a heart or something since I last done it (10 years) would be an understatement. It hurt me to see her hurting when I pinched her ear. I don't know if I can do it. Really she is great on retrieves but she just drops it once she gets 2 feet away. I really wish I could afford someone to do it for me so I wouldn't have to see her hurting. I used to not give a crap but since my youngin came along I have gotten soft.
openwaterhunter2
hunter

Postby harvey1b » Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:43 pm

Stick with it. It will be worth it in the end. It's not fun, but is necessary.
harvey1b
hunter

Postby Brydog » Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:10 pm

I'm having the same problem with my 7 mo.old MYL. He's retrieved 39 Ducks, Geese and Woodcock, But has only delivered 1 (one) of them to hand. I was really hoping I wouldnt have to FF him, But I think I should. He does everything else so well I thought he might start delivering to hand on his own as the season progressed. But no luck there.
FF it is.........It'll be better for both of us when it done.
“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer God than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”
~Stephen Roberts
Brydog
Banned

Postby phutch30 » Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:25 pm

Man I can totally relate to you guys. My 10 month choc male is at a trainer right now. He has retrieved 110 ducks so far this season but I cant say for sure if he has brought one to hand. He hits the shore and drops it. I finally had it and found a pro trainer for a reasonable fee. I sure miss him though. But I think I am too much of a wimp to do it.
phutch30
hunter

Postby bullet » Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:41 am

Keep it up w/ the ear pinch. The ear will begin to get tender and less pressure will be needed. If you're using an e-collar it'll be an easy transition
bullet
hunter

Postby bullocklabradors » Sat Nov 05, 2005 9:41 pm

I Force Fetched my first dog a few months ago and have been following Mike Lardys Total Retriever. I was really suprised how quickly she flew through Formal Hold, Force Fetch and Stick Fetch. I will FF all of my dogs in the future. Stick with it you will be pleased with the outcome.

Take Care,

Travis R. Bullock
"IF YOU CAN SEE THEIR EYES, SHOOT EM IN THE LIPS AND WATCH EM FOLD"

"IF IT FLIES IT DIES AND THEN IT'S RETRIEVED!"
bullocklabradors
Banned

Return to Hunting Dog Forum