golden/labradoodles

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

golden/labradoodles

Postby sjtoggle » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:56 am

I know some dont like the fact that they are part poodle but the wife wants one. However, I wont unless it will hunt. Anybody have any experience with these dogs in the field...upland?
sjtoggle
hunter

Re: golden/labradoodles

Postby canbakchaser » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:21 pm

well poodles were originaly water retrievers so i dont; see why not
Special Thanks to Autumn Wings Decoys for donating the 2011-2012 Central Flyway Rambler.
canbakchaser
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:46 pm

:no: UGh I can't stand these dogs but in order to stay off my soap box you just gonna have to do some digging to find someone that's breeding these dogs with hunting backgrounds....good luck with that.
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby HNTFSH » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:37 pm

what redneck said. hope is a terrible strategy for a gundog.
Cabela's Worlds FARCEMOST Outfitter
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby buckmeister » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:58 pm

Get your wife a dog she wants and go and get yourself what you want. I agree with HNtfsh, hope is a terrible stategy for picking a hunting dog.
"Give me liberty or give me death"
buckmeister
hunter

Postby joshco84 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:50 pm

get her a little inside dog and you a lab and you can both be happy. There was a discussion on here not too long ago about poodles.
Who knew strippers had feelings?

Botiz630 wrote:Careful, then you'll have to get something to get rid of the geckos. And then something to get rid of what got rid of the geckos. Before you known it your camp will be full of great white sharks fighting velociraptors.
joshco84
Leg Humper

Postby buckmeister » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:02 pm

Good Lord could you imagine being at the boat ramp on a saturday morning whith the other hunter's black labs and dead grass Chessies and your golden- poodle jumps out of the truck!
"Give me liberty or give me death"
buckmeister
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:28 pm

:lol3: Heeeeyyy Booooyysss

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby JoeP » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:03 pm

buckmeister wrote:Good Lord could you imagine being at the boat ramp on a saturday morning whith the other hunter's black labs and dead grass Chessies and your golden- poodle jumps out of the truck!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
JoeP
State Moderator

Postby wackemstackem » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:04 pm

Find a chessie with long hair and tell her its a labradoodle. :mad:
It's my Island.
wackemstackem
muppet paster

Postby Pa'peake » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:35 pm

Not to mention you probably could buy a good purebred retriever pup for less than a designer mutt???
Pa'peake
hunter

Postby lameduck » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:31 pm

sjtoggle wrote:I know some dont like the fact that they are part poodle but the wife wants one. However, I wont unless it will hunt. Anybody have any experience with these dogs in the field...upland?

My wife's roommate in college had one, and I kept it for a week when she went out of town. I would take it with me when I was training my dog and noticed it had a huge desire to retrieve, and I had it steady at heal in a few days.

While her dog had a lot of good attributes for retrieving, breeders are not focused on intelligence or hunting desire when they pick the sire/dam. The only thing they care about is that the product will be a labradoodle, and you can also run into genetic health issues.

Also I have heard a lot of people get a labrapoodle because they do not shed, or they are hypoallergenic. Do not believe them, these dogs shed like no other, and it is the only dog my wife has ever been allergic to. They are also just as big, if not bigger than a lab and they have to be groomed because their long hair gets matted around their eyes, mouth, and butt. I can not even count the number of dingle berries I cut off that dog, it was worse if it had diarrhea, and in that case you have to buzz it's backside

I loved my wife's roommates dog, but I would not recommend getting one because of all the grooming, and potential genetic problems. Trust me, come home with a lab puppy, and your wife will melt.
lameduck
hunter

Postby sjtoggle » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:38 am

enough said...another lab it is...my last one just died.....no reason to reinvent the wheen I guess.
sjtoggle
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:20 pm

:clapping: Peer pressure can be a bitch :yes:

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby solway gunner » Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:53 pm

lameduck wrote:
sjtoggle wrote:I know some dont like the fact that they are part poodle but the wife wants one. However, I wont unless it will hunt. Anybody have any experience with these dogs in the field...upland?

My wife's roommate in college had one, and I kept it for a week when she went out of town. I would take it with me when I was training my dog and noticed it had a huge desire to retrieve, and I had it steady at heal in a few days.

While her dog had a lot of good attributes for retrieving, breeders are not focused on intelligence or hunting desire when they pick the sire/dam. The only thing they care about is that the product will be a labradoodle, and you can also run into genetic health issues.

Also I have heard a lot of people get a labrapoodle because they do not shed, or they are hypoallergenic. Do not believe them, these dogs shed like no other, and it is the only dog my wife has ever been allergic to. They are also just as big, if not bigger than a lab and they have to be groomed because their long hair gets matted around their eyes, mouth, and butt. I can not even count the number of dingle berries I cut off that dog, it was worse if it had diarrhea, and in that case you have to buzz it's backside

I loved my wife's roommates dog, but I would not recommend getting one because of all the grooming, and potential genetic problems. Trust me, come home with a lab puppy, and your wife will melt.

:lol: :clapping: those frankenheinz 55s will set you back up to $1200 in the uk-anyone for a labotomy :wink:
solway gunner
hunter

Postby wackemstackem » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:12 am

1200 euro or dollars
It's my Island.
wackemstackem
muppet paster

Postby Tomcatx » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:59 pm

Whether or not any dog will hunt depends as much (or more) on the owner as it does on the dog. I've got a medium Australian Labradoodle that's got as much drive and brains as any lab I've ever had, including two 1st generation yellows (Rocket and Duke) I had out of NAFC/ FC MD's Cotton Pick'n Cropper (google him).

She has been as easy (or easier) to train, she loves to hunt, she loves water and she handles just fine in the field, she has a great nose and unlike a lab, she doesn't shed (she does pick up a lot of stickers though...). Duke shed more than any dog I've ever seen or heard of. It was unbelievable... Anyway, the key for training up a labradoodle gun dog (at least mine) is positive reinforcement (rather than punishment), eye contact and time in the field. Make it fun, don't put too much pressure on a puppy and keep early training sessions short. He or she will grow into an awesome dog if you do your job right. And if you don't know what you're doing (no shame in admitting it, many people don't), invest in a pro trainer. You'll be doing both you and the dog a favor.

I can't speak to the goldendoodles, but don't be afraid of trying out an Australian Labradoodle. I've hunted with dogs for 45 years and my dog, Maybelline "Maybe" is in the top three I've ever had (somewhere in there with "Duke" and "Frank"). Did I mention, she doesn't shed? (although
she does pick up a few stickers...)

Good luck! TC

Now I see this original question was asked 5years ago... Guess he already decided... I would ad, that American Labradoodles (F1 50/50 lab/poodle) do shed. Australian Labradoodles (F1b 25/75 lab/poodle) don't shed at all or very little (although, again... They do pick up a few stickers.....)
Tomcatx
Newb

Postby dogyak » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:39 pm

Not again please :no:
dogyak
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:02 pm

dogyak wrote:Not again please :no:

I quit reading after this:

Tomcatx wrote:Whether or not any dog will hunt depends as much (or more) on the owner as it does on the dog.

But did look at this and couldn't find anything on their purpose or hunting lines:

http://www.australianlabradoodleclub.us/default.asp
Cabela's Worlds FARCEMOST Outfitter
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Return to Hunting Dog Forum