Is this a wise thing to do?

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, HNTFSH, swampbilly 1980, hunt-chessies

Is this a wise thing to do?

Postby nemitz » Sat Nov 05, 2005 2:08 pm

Hello everyone,
I have had labs before as a kid but never one that my parents didnt buy or look after, now im looking at buying one for a family pet in conjunction with teaching it to hunt with my two young sons and myself. I realize that it is a very large commitment but is it realistic for me to think that I can train a dog out of a book and off information from forums without ever having previous experience.
nemitz
Newb

Postby Greg Wile » Sat Nov 05, 2005 2:23 pm

Yup! you can and you will be able to make the dog as decent a retriever as some trainers can if you work at it and if all you want is a dog that will listen and retrieve birds for you and never plan on showing the dog then by all means train the pup your self. I am training a pup now and still teaching my 2yr 8mo old lab. Good luck with what ever you choose.
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby huntingrdr » Sat Nov 05, 2005 2:52 pm

Yes, read books and watch videos and you will learn alot. I am not a trainer and I still train my dog off of books. Check out Mike Lardy's books and tapes.

Robert
huntingrdr
hunter

Postby 870 » Sat Nov 05, 2005 7:23 pm

I agree you can diffidently train the pup your self. Please don’t make the mistake that I’ve seen too often. That is people pick the pup then go and buy the books and videos on training, then they find out that they have made a mistake on the pup they picked. For example they go to pick the pup and there is this pup that plows over all the other pups to get to you. You say to your self “that’s the one he’s the biggest and friendliest he’s going home with me” “ honey we just bonded right then and there” Chances are you picked the ALPHA male they make good retrievers but in the hands of a professional trainer. They tend to be suborned and self willed they will try to train you. Please take the time and find all the info before you even think of picking your pup.

The dog to your left I drove 4hrs to pick and spent 1 hr in picking. He is a great family dog and he's my hunting buddy I wish you the same Good luck :thumbsup:
"As long as there are Flyways and their coming our way, you'll find us right here"
State Moderator

Postby canadagoose » Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:27 pm

Yeah, go for it. My lab is approaching 5 years old now, and when I got her at 8 weeks I never thought I'd get into hunting. She's loved water and retrieving anything thrown for years, but this season is the first time I've ever tried hunting her. I've never been through any sort of retreiver training with her, but after checking that she's not afraid of the shotgun I took her out on opening weekend.

The first day, she'd climb into my lap anytime we shot. Later in the day, I coaxed her into doing her first retrieve. She tried to swim back without it a few times, but I kept sending her back for it. She even tried pushing it to shore with her nose, before she figured out to put it in her mouth.

By the end of the second day, she'd bolt for the water anytime we shot. She has more confidence in my shooting skill than I deserve. :smile:

So go ahead and train the dog yourself. Most of it's in the genes as far as I can tell, but I'm not expert. The most important thing is working on obedience.
canadagoose
hunter

Do it yourself!!!

Postby Brydog » Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:57 am

Absolutely,
I've been training my pup for 6 months now. I bought the "Ten Minute Retriever" by John and Amy Dahl and "Hey pup,Fetch it up" by Bill Tarrant. Both of these books are exellent gun dog training books. They will teach you how to train your dog without all the old school cruelty. Out smart your dog instead of frying his neck with an e-collar. My pup is 7 1/2 months old and retrieved his 46th bird yesterday. :getdown: He doesnt always deliver to hand yet. I'm letting him be a pup. I plan on starting formal training when season ends.
Good luck to you, your boys, and your pup. :thumbsup:

"Train ,,,,,,, Don't complain"
“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer God than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”
~Stephen Roberts
Brydog
Banned

Postby cmelik10 » Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:18 am

Of course you can train your pup yourself and in fact it is very gratifing to do so. Get an established program such as 10 Min Retriever, Evan Grahams SmartWork, Mike Lardys program.

I am training my first dog via SmartWork (SmartFetch, SmartWork II) and am almost ready to move into transition training once it warms up and I can do swim-by. I have felt a great deal of satisfaction doing it myself and seeing the progress that my pup has been making.

Good luck with your pup, enjoy him.

A very sucsessful Field Trial pro has told me this time after time when I talk to him......Teach and then Build and then Build on what you Teach....Baby Steps Baby Steps. I have tryed following this advice throughout my training and it has seemed to work very well for me.

Scott
cmelik10
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:06 am

What 870 said is right, buy the books and the vids first, then pick your pup. I trained ACE without having any previouse dog training knowledge. The web is perfect for what you need also. When I was having a problem with a certain thing, first i would ask questions here at dhc. Then I would do a Google search. There is a ton of articles and other info on dog training on the web. Lots of different philosofies, and you can pick which one works for you.
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Postby harvey1b » Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:50 am

I gotta agree with everyone else. You can definately train your dog.

Like 870 and ACE have said, do your homework first. Find a breeder and then a pup that suit you. I had to drive 16 hrs round-trip to get my dog. I have been training her with Richard Wotlers "Water Dog", a DVD I watched probably 10 times before I even had the dog. I had never trained a dog before this, but had hunted without one so many times and been unable to find birds that it was past time to get a better nose on the job.

This is her second season. She has been force fetch trained, and has 60+ retreivers under her belt. She has turned into a great hunter. It is definately gratifying to know you trained your own dog, and you will develop a connection with your hunting buddy that is very special. This forum has been very helpful for me. If you are going to get a dog and want it to be trained for hunting I would encourage you to train it yourself. We are here to help you through any tough spots that might come up.

Good luck and keep us posted! :thumbsup:
harvey1b
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Sun Nov 06, 2005 1:40 pm

One thing I wanted to add. TIME. It does take time to train a dog. You also have 2 kids that take up a LOT of your time. Make sure that you have time for your dog. It will not take a lot of time, but you will have to make time for your dog. When they are young, the time is just a few minutes a few times a day as far as training goes, the other time is spent getting them to go outdoors to go to the bathroom. If you get a good dog, as far a breeding goes, then you don't need to go nuts with retrieving bumpers out of the gate, just enough to keep them excited. Most of your training for the first 6 months or so is going to be Obediance. Make your dog listen. I say MAKE, you don't ask your dog to do something, you TELL it to to it. You will work on him coming to you when you tell him to. sit when told to and HEEL when told to heel. IF you can get those three things down, then you will have a better dog then most will have. Then you will start to hone your dogs retrieving skills. Work on Obediance.

josh
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Postby IBBoykin » Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:43 am

My Opinion, for what it is worth.
Yes, you can, anyone can as long as they are diligent about it. Training does not require long hours, but rather regular time spent with training, especially during the pup/obedience stage.
With that said, check out temperments. If you get one of these high strung high rolling labs, you could have your work cut out for you.
Strongly look at the temperament of the parents.
Here is a great breeder, that I have known for years, he breeds the british labs and their trainability and temperament can be ideal for a novice trainer.
www.uklabs.com
Be prepared to be on a waiting list.
Breeding and Training Boykin Spaniels, a True American Gundog
IBBoykin
hunter

Postby nemitz » Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:29 pm

Thanks for your quick replies. I will now start my research into what to look for in the type of pup im looking for. I truly appreciate your kind words of advice.
Ward
nemitz
Newb

Postby 7greenslady » Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:42 pm

You are so right about the dog that plows 'em down.... Our chocolate was the first to come to us, and wandered the farthest, and she is SO high maintenance. Our black was the one that slept next to the food dish all day. He is very laid back and has a lot of patience with the kids (however, he runs very slow).

nemitz,
Definately ask how to pick the right dog for you. These guys know a lot more than me, so probably create a post if you are interested. I asked around (how to pick a dog), and my black lab is perfect for me. I always say that I feel guilty having him, he should've went to a family because he is so patient with the kids. (He lets our 2 yr old cousin sleep on his belly.)
If I can train a dog, anyone can. I just read a book that made sense and he's really coming along.

Have a good one fellas!
~~~~~~~~
On your right! Wait, wait, Take 'em!
7greenslady
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum