From the Humane Society

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, HNTFSH, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

From the Humane Society

Postby Penguine » Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:54 am

I went to the local Human Society yesterday with my kids and they had a puppy in there that they estimate is 7 weeks old. She was all black and they said they figure she is a lab mix. I looked at her and she appears to be pure lab, but when a puppy is brought in as a stray you just never know. The dog is beautiful. Now my dilema...

I want a duck dog. I am tired as hell of trudging through 8 inches of mud underneath 7-10 inches of water at our little honey hole. I figure if I get this pooch on Monday whe will be primed and ready to go next season, using this winter to get her acclimated to the South Dakota Winters and the late winter/early spring to get her in to the water. With training starting about June (6 months old) next year.

I know folks talk about breeding being a big part in training, after all a dog with a strong duck background (mom and dad and grandparents) will/should do better then a dog with no background, but since there really is not way of telling with a pup brought in and dropped off as a stray do you think it would be worth it? I can adopt her for $94. Now before you say you get what you pay for my taxidermist paid $100 for his lab and he kicks ass in the water. He won't win any trials cause he is not trained to do those things, but he has retrieved birds down in the reeds, across the water, and has done doubles. I do not want a $6000 dog that will blind retrieve half way around the world (exaggeration), I want one that I can play with Monday thru Friday, will get along with the mini-daschund, and on the weekends loves to jump in the water and get my ducks.

Like I said, she is estimated at 7 weeks, they have her named Cricket Two, is all black, very playful and cuddly. We had her out at the Human Society for about 15 minutes before they put her away and we had to go.

Thoughts?
Penguine
hunter

Postby cmelik10 » Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:35 am

I would say if you want it go for it. You can train any dog to do anything. Sure having a good pedigree will help in training because you know that the dog will be trainable. That being said if you are willing to put in the time to get what you want then yes can get her to do whatever it is that you want, including doing blind retrieves half way around the world.
cmelik10
hunter

Postby Mr. 16 gauge » Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:20 am

IMHO, every dog is a crap shoot....sometimes you get lucky and get a mutt that would put some field trial dogs to shame; other times you have field trial prospects from good stock that couldn't find thier food bowl if it was coverd. These are the extremes.
You say "she looks to be pure lab"; highly doubtful. As far as being a lab mix, that is probably just a guess as well. My old boss got a 'cockapoo' puppy from the humane society....that thing grew up to be 70+ pounds of mutt that looked like a bluetick coonhound! :eek: Hardly the 'lapdog' that his wife wanted.
YOu say you can adopt her for $94; for a couple of hundred more (maybe less) you can get a lab of decent breeding, and your odds go up consideralby as far as having a 'hunter' go.
Think about this for a moment (just playing devil's advocate): You adopt the pup, she becomes the hunting dog you want, and everything works out hunkydory.
.....but what if she has no interest in birds, retrieving, or runs at the sound of a gun? The kids are now attached, so getting rid of her will be hard; your wife probably won't let you have another "big dog' in the house, so getting your lab now is no longer an option, and there is the monetary expense of keeping a second dog (shots/food/licenses) that doesn't 'earn it's keep'.
Sorry if I muddied the waters even more.....just realize what you could potentially be getting yourself into. Good luck with your choice.
(BTW: I believe in training a dog from 8 weeks of age on, and not just to house break them, either!) :thumbsup:
"If your dog thinks you're the greatest, don't go seeking a second opinion!"
Mr. 16 gauge
hunter

Postby h2oknine » Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:44 am

I know a guy who uses blue heelers duck hunting. I have also seen what you call back yard breedings no titles being some of the best dogs

It is what you put into the training and how you train that makes a good dog not the papers though good pedigree helps but not necesary.
HRCH,UH Red Moon Prairie Schooner (500)
HR Black Moon Prairie Ghost
HR Hh Harvest Moon Black Magic Woman
Nulli Expugnabilis Hosti (Conquorable by no enemy)
h2oknine
hunter

Postby Fowlercon » Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:32 pm

cmelik10 wrote:I would say if you want it go for it. You can train any dog to do anything. Sure having a good pedigree will help in training because you know that the dog will be trainable. That being said if you are willing to put in the time to get what you want then yes can get her to do whatever it is that you want, including doing blind retrieves half way around the world.

IMHO, every dog is a crap shoot....sometimes you get lucky and get a mutt that would put some field trial dogs to shame; other times you have field trial prospects from good stock that couldn't find thier food bowl if it was coverd. These are the extremes.
You say "she looks to be pure lab"; highly doubtful. As far as being a lab mix, that is probably just a guess as well. My old boss got a 'cockapoo' puppy from the humane society....that thing grew up to be 70+ pounds of mutt that looked like a bluetick coonhound! Hardly the 'lapdog' that his wife wanted.
YOu say you can adopt her for $94; for a couple of hundred more (maybe less) you can get a lab of decent breeding, and your odds go up consideralby as far as having a 'hunter' go.
Think about this for a moment (just playing devil's advocate): You adopt the pup, she becomes the hunting dog you want, and everything works out hunkydory.
.....but what if she has no interest in birds, retrieving, or runs at the sound of a gun? The kids are now attached, so getting rid of her will be hard; your wife probably won't let you have another "big dog' in the house, so getting your lab now is no longer an option, and there is the monetary expense of keeping a second dog (shots/food/licenses) that doesn't 'earn it's keep'.
Sorry if I muddied the waters even more.....just realize what you could potentially be getting yourself into. Good luck with your choice.
(BTW: I believe in training a dog from 8 weeks of age on, and not just to house break them, either!)

Agree with em' both,
"It is not the function of our Government to keep the citizen from falling
into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the Government from
falling into error."
Fowlercon
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum