Labs with other dogs

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Labs with other dogs

Postby Penguine » Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:44 pm

Hopefully some of you lab owners will have some insight into this question... I am looking at getting a lab pup from the local humane society. I currently have a 1½ year old mini-daschund. Ya'll think the lab pup will get along with my mini-weiner dog? The lab being a 7week old pup will ore then likely run my mini ragged but it will be good for her. Then when the lab gets older (the lab pup is already bigger) hopefully they would co-exist. anyway, thoughts?
Penguine
hunter

Postby Sorensen » Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:30 pm

It should be fine, the weiner dog should be the alpha and the lab will more than likely be submissive. I have seen this with mini dobermans and a great dane, it was hilarious how the big Dane wouldn't mess with that little doberman. By the way labs are usually good with any kind of dog anyway.
Sorensen
hunter

Postby bullocklabradors » Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:58 pm

I agree with Sorensen you won't have to worry about the Lab getting along with the little dog, but the other way around!

Take Care,

Travis R. Bullock
"IF YOU CAN SEE THEIR EYES, SHOOT EM IN THE LIPS AND WATCH EM FOLD"

"IF IT FLIES IT DIES AND THEN IT'S RETRIEVED!"
bullocklabradors
Banned

Postby Brydog » Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:45 pm

They should get along just fine. Labs are very friendly, social, dogs.From my experience with Labs (im on my 4th) they 'll get along with anything that isnt attacking them.

Good luck,
“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer God than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”
~Stephen Roberts
Brydog
Banned

Postby JJ McGuire » Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:49 am

A buddy of mine has a lab and his wife has mini doxies, they have no problems getting along.
JJ McGuire
hunter

Postby CLUTCHfan » Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:19 am

We used to have a long-haired dachsund, and she was definately the alpha dog in the family (her and four to five beagles). The only thing that I'd watch out for is how rough the lab plays with the little dog, because dachsunds are prone to back problems, and it only takes one good hit to hurt their backs. I'd at least separate them when no one is home just to be safe. In part for the labs safety as well as the dachsunds. Ours would go after anything bigger than her and hairy. She had a real hatred of huskies. Tough little dogs though.
TNAL45 wrote:I like my beer like I like my violence....Domestic.
CLUTCHfan
Former DHC Ball Buster

Location: Behind the facade of this innocent looking bookstore.

Postby Penguine » Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:58 am

Great info, thanks!
Penguine
hunter

Postby IBBoykin » Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:50 am

Everything will depend on the dachsund. The lab will want to play right off the bat, but the dachsunds temperment will can make it a difficult transitional. The first year, could be hard road to hoe.
Breeding and Training Boykin Spaniels, a True American Gundog
IBBoykin
hunter

Postby Penguine » Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:06 pm

the dsachund wants to play non-stop. She has an advantage though, she is smaller then any lab will ever be and if needs to can get under the couch for a rest. :mrgreen:
Penguine
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:11 pm

I have 2 labs 1 beagle and a doberman+redbone mix plus a hunting buddies flatcoat retriever and a rabbit. The dogs all get along pretty well and the retrievers and the rabbit get along without incedence. So yeah the lab will get along with most anything which isn't feathered.
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby 7greenslady » Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:48 pm

We went camping this summer with our 2 labs and about 10 other dogs, some labs, goldens, cocker spaniels, and one 9 yr old rotweiler. They all got along great, except the rotweiler was a little impatient with the playful labs. I'd say it's not up to the lab....it'll be the little guy who determines the relationship, if he can keep up, they'll be just fine.

Have a good one, fellas.
~~~~~~~~
On your right! Wait, wait, Take 'em!
7greenslady
hunter

Postby hankrt » Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:20 pm

The Lab should get along fine with the little one, I have a big 100 lb Black Male, and a 19 lb Boston who is older, and definatly the Alpha, she rules him big time, sometimes I think he's just a big wuss!!!
hankrt
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum