What kind of food do you feed?

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

What kind of food do you feed?

Postby 98ramtough » Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:30 am

What kind of food do you guys feed your dogs? I use to feed Eukanuba when I first got my pup but found it produced WAY too much stool and didn't seem to stick any meat on her. A guy I worked with raised police dogs and suggested Nurtonuggets Lamb & Rice mix. We have fed this ever since and I really like it. It produces minmum stool, and leaves the coat very shiny and healthy. We get it at Costco by the 40lb bag for $16 a bag. The food is also little diamonds so you get a lot more food for the size, if that makes sense.

I don't work for a dog food company or anything, I am just curious to see what everyone feeds thier best friend.

Mike
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby phillipstd » Mon Oct 04, 2004 5:18 pm

I've fed a bunch of different stuff over the years, I might even try something else in the future, but I feed pro plan right now, and one dog is one pro plan sensative skin, he get's hot spots, and I've tried a bunch of different stuff with him, this seems to be the only thing that keeps him from itching.
phillipstd
hunter

Postby John » Mon Oct 04, 2004 6:25 pm

I use purina pro plan performance. The place I bought my lab from swears by it. They said it has the highest protein and lowest fat content. It also has the best stool constiency
John
hunter

Postby b c g s » Mon Oct 04, 2004 9:57 pm

Well when i can get it its called Blackgold it great a lot of coon dog trainers love it and its great, but we feed green Dimond it works good for us, but all dog dont do good on it u have to find one that works for your dog.
I live to hunt and hunt to live
b c g s
hunter

Postby ol' yeller » Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:00 am

I feed Diamond and have since my pup was 8 weeks old. Her coat it beautiful and the she only goes once a day.

yeller
ol' yeller
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:28 am

Does anyone know who makes kirkland brand (costco) Lamb and Rice? I have been thinking about trying this but the stuff we use now is working nicely...
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby mccree79 » Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:51 am

I use IAMS Large Breed. My lab loves it and it has Glucosamine to protect my dogs joints.
She blew her knee out almost 2 years ago and her morning stiffness is almost total gone.
mccree79
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:01 am

That is good to hear, I will remember that when my dogs start to get a little older.
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby falco » Thu Oct 07, 2004 1:32 am

An other vote for Nutro Lamb & rice. Great coat, and the dog seems to like it. I've tried other stuff, but with this food, the dog seems much healthier.

Leo
falco
hunter

Postby Mrs. Bear Creek » Thu Oct 07, 2004 10:23 pm

Well I would love to feed Iams or Eukenuba but the price is outragous so as you can already figure out it is Green Diamond here all the way..... I would just keep a good eye on the contents of the food and make sure that it has enough protien for your dog. Dogs are ment to eat meet not corn so if corn is the first ingredent then I would suggest getting a different brand. :thumbsup:
PITA WHO
Mrs. Bear Creek
Newb

Postby Logan's best friends » Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:41 pm

We were told to feed our lab puppy adult food. They say it's better for their joints so they don't gain too much weight too fast. A lot of the puppy foods have a lot of fat and weight gainers. We kept our puupy on the Nutra nugget lamb and rice o from costco. We were told that diamond makes it. He is fed 3 times a day and pottys between 2 and three times and not until a few hour later after eating. So, he's obviously getting what he needs and not wasting it.
We only clean up his crap, because one day he'll fetch our dinner!
Logan's best friends
hunter

Postby mallardhunter » Wed Oct 13, 2004 6:18 am

We feed our lab purina. Had no problems yet. That is all we have fed our dogs.
Keep working millions on welfare depend on you!!!
If hunting is a sport I am the M.V.P.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby chase83 » Mon Oct 18, 2004 1:13 pm

THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW!!!

You should really research a little about which ingredients are desirable in a dog food..... You want to stay away from "Chicken-by-product", whole grain corn, and a big one is Preservatives " any thing with BHA is bad" It is a known cancer causing ingrediant... Try to feed one the preserves Topocrepherals....NO BHA!!!! Some of Diamond is very good, like there adult dog green bag over 65+ is probably there best.....Try to find comparison s out there and you will learn quite fast....

The research I have found that flintriver.com "Flint River Foods" is a human grade food and will completely lessin your dogs stool and amount of! Also it will give the dog everything it could possibly want and you dont have to feed it as much as regular food, which justifies the price....The stuff beats any other food out there on a healthy comparison! Check it out... I think if it cost more so be it, would you let your kids eat bad food every day, of course not so why risk it on your dogs!!!

Spend the extra dollar it will make a huge difference and make sure there is no BHA preserves and no by product because that stuff is all body parts, intestines, feathers, chicken becks, feet , etc....Buy lamb, lamb meal, chicken meal, fish meal, anything one word, or _____meal!

http://www.feedmypet.com/dog-food-comparison.html GO HERE AND SEE FOR YOURSELF>>>>>RED=BAD
SHOT EM IN THE FACE!!!
NO MORE skybusting!!

1756vbw G3 35hp GDSD
chase83
hunter

Postby donell67 » Mon Oct 18, 2004 1:17 pm

purina lamb and rice has seemed to be the best we have had.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby crankerup » Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:27 am

I use Maximum Nutrition from Wal-Mart in Lamb&Rice.
crankerup
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:56 am

Logan's best friends--- I feed both my dogs the same food, Nutra Nuggets Lamb and rice from Costco. I fed it to them since they were 7 weeks old. Just moisten it up a little when the puppy is real small. It really is a great food.

Mike
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Return to Hunting Dog Forum