question on vest

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

question on vest

Postby TXwaterfowler » Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:01 pm

I've been tring to get a dog vest for my lab. He weighs about 93 pounds igot one at Gander Mountain but it was to small. So I went back and got one that fit him. This would be the first year he uses one. Do they really help a dog float better and keep him warmer? Or do they just get in the way cuz right now he doesnt like it. :smile:
TXwaterfowler
hunter

Postby yellowlab » Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:37 pm

depending on which on they get with the floating thing but as far as keeping them warmer ... oh yeah how it is jsut like your waders do you your dog with love you for it ... on some cold day touch your dog where the vest isn't and then put your hand inside the vest ... :thumbsup: you will be suprised
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

WoW

Postby Brydog » Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:27 am

I had to read the last post about 6 times to figure it out..........I think I got the jest of it....................Do you ever proof read your posts. I dont mean to come off as rude,,,,,,,,,,But Dang ! :umm:

TX,
The vests really do help keep your dog warm. Put your dogs vest on him before you feed him, and before you throw bumpers. This will take his mind off the vest and get him used to wearing it.
I just bought a XXXL for my 8 month old YLM. I think I'll have to have one custom made next year cause this one's tight on his chest already. His dads chest measures 41 inches, if thats any indication of what i should expect.
ā€œI contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer God than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.ā€
~Stephen Roberts
Brydog
Banned

Postby cmelik10 » Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:59 am

not to hijack this thread or anything but I have been wondering about vests as well. I got one for my pup and got it all cut so that it fits her the way that it should. My question is that while she does not mind having it on it seems as if she cannot sit with it on, she just topples over and its always to her left. Is this just because she is getting use to wearing it or does it mean its to tight? Its a good thing I heel her on my right so when she sits in the blind she can lean on me or else she would keep falling over. It doesn't bother her as she runs or swims but she just can't sit with it on.
cmelik10
hunter

Postby brdprey » Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:16 am

[siteimg]1241[/siteimg]

i finally got one for tanner, (sorry for the photo being all messed up it was a camera phone pic) but anyway if you look near his front legs, i cut it as far in as possible. but it rubbs his leg pits and i notice was sore after that long swim. he didnt shake from being cold like he usually does but was still cold. this is slightly snug on his chest but it seems he is skinny side ways (leg to leg)
a xxl is to large for him.............any sugestions
I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, FORIEGN AND DOMESTIC;
brdprey
hunter

Postby tstrong » Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:58 pm

I go through them every 2 years. I like the hodgeman 5mm. It has a thick chest and it gave him alot more protection. The thinner material had hold from the sticks and branches in the ponds. This one is really tough, when the dog goes hunting he's all business.
tstrong
hunter

Postby pitboss » Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:39 am

i think vest work...

been using avery vests on all 3 of my girls.

jeff
pitboss
hunter

Postby Brydog » Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:21 am

Nice Pic Pitboss. :thumbsup:
ā€œI contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer God than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.ā€
~Stephen Roberts
Brydog
Banned

Return to Hunting Dog Forum