Duck Hunting Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Training program listings

37K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  HNTFSH 
#1 ·
This question seems to come up about 4-5 times a week and indicates a good understanding that making-it-up-as-you-go ain't the best way to reach your destination.

There's maybe 20+ authors of such which include everything from puppy development to field trial style marking ability (perhaps a sticky someday for easy author googling). Some are deep, some are shallow, some are DVD, some are books, some are both. Some are better for true newbies and some are better if you know a little bit already.

So the 'best one' is largely dictated by factors not explained by the poster when he/she asks the question. Most people don't know what they want or what they need - normal - so it can be helpful to drill into the program/author site and read through what a various program offers and match, as best you can, with your knowledge and interest.

ONE month at a Professional gundog trainer is between 400-700 bucks and money well spent with a good trainer. That said - if that's not your path or money prohibits - accept that a single DVD at 20 bucks only gets you so far. Training doesn't have to cost a bunch but it does cost more than most might originally think - assuming you want to educate yourself.

I've purchased DVD's of which very little appealed to me in terms of the training they presented but with each, I did learn something. So while it's best to follow a 'method' or 'course' of training it's still valuable to understand a different perspective.

The BEST program today may not be the BEST program for you a year from now. To get the best investment in an initial purchase, I would think through your goals (as best you can) and associate that to what you believe a particular program to be about.

* Am I waterfowling AND upland hunting
* How many times per week am I willing to train
* How committed am I
* How much money can I justify
* Do I think I'll accept the premise of e-collar training versus non-e-collar training
* Do I know what I want my dog to be able to do (what is handling, what are blinds, how does that affect my hunting goals)
* If I get a 3 DVD set that takes me from 8 weeks thru 18 months - will I realistically follow that program all the way through
* Do I learn better by reading or watching
* What's the difference between a Master Hunter and a Meat dog
* Do I have a Lab, Chessie or Weimaraner
* How much do I already know
*ETC

The point I hope to make is that choosing the right program is the 1st step in taking control of your training life and making informed decisions and commitments based on what you want - and are decided to achieve. The more you drill into methods and authors the more you become exposed to things not previously considered and new thoughts/questions arise before dropping the dollars.

The list below prepared by Swampbilly1980 represents most of the material available today (without favour) and indicates DVD/Book or both. There really aren't any more tips and tricks to getting a program than there are to training a dog so hopefully this start on your research is valuable. Chances are if you enjoy retriever training and begin to find success - you'll utilize the methods and approaches of several authors.

Puppies
*Sound Beginnings by Jackie Mertens
*Puppy Training by Bill Hillman

American Hunting/Test/Trial
*Mike Lardy-Total Retriever Training (DVD/Hard Copy Series)
*Rick Stawski-Fowl Dawgs (DVD Series)
*Evan Graham-SmartWorks (DVD Series/book series)
*Danny Farmer/Judy Aycock-Problems and Solutions/Training Basics (DVD)
*Chris Akin-Duck Dog Basics (DVD)
*George Hickox-Upland & Retriever Training (DVD Series)
*Butch Goodwin -Retrievers from the Inside Out. (CD/Hard Copy)
*Bill Hillmann -Training a Retriever Puppy (DVD)
*James Spencer-Retriever Train Series (Hard Copy)
*Tom Dokken-Retriever Training (Hard Copy)
*Rex Carr/Dave Rorem-Art /Science of Handling Retrievers (DVD/Hard Copy Set) & Carr Training Seminar (DVD Set)
*Shawn Dustin-Retriever Fever (DVD Series)
*Jim Dobbs-TriTronics Retriever Training (Hard Copy) & Trained Retrieve I&II (DVD)
*Richard Wolters-Water Dog, Gun Dog, Game Dog (Hard Copy)
*Tom Quinn's "The Working Retriever" (Hardcopy)
*Mike Gould's "The Labrador Shooting Dog" (Hardcopy)

British Style Hunting/Test
*Robert Milner -Retriever Training (Series Hard Copy)
*Mike Stewart -Wildrose Retriever Training (DVD/Hard Copy)
*Martin Deely- Gundog Training( Hard Copy Series)
*Vic Barlow -British training for American Retrievers (Hard Copy)
* Susan Scales - Retriever Training the Modern Way (Hard Copy)

Misc Gundog Training
*Jackie Merten -Sound Beginnings Puppy/Young dog (Hard Copy)
*John/Amy Dahl -Retriever Troubleshooting, The 10 minute Retriever (Hard Copy)
*DL & Ann Walters -Training Retrievers to Handle (Hard Copy)
*James Lamb Free -Training Your Retriever (Hard Copy)
*Vickie Lamb (Trainer/Author/Contributor)

See less See more
#2 ·
This posting was put together by swampbilly 1980 and HNTFSH (and others ??) to help some of our newer dog trainers find a place to start. I personally think it is a GREAT source of info. If anyone see's something wrong or has something worth adding please PM me or another admin to add to it!! :thumbsup:

#3 ·
Not a Program but uselful as a reference for alternative training styles...... posted by bigbrit......

Here are two very good video clips on clicker training. A good guide to training fetch and deliver to hand without force, and a good review of the basic principles of clicker training.
This lady is a good trainer.
Part 1 clicker fetch

Part 2 clicker fetch

It has been a while since I have posted here. I was reading some recent posts and thought these videos were relevant.

Hope all is well,

Robert Milner, III

#4 ·
ibedamn said:
This is the 1st dog that I have really tried to do everything right from the beginning. By following a program, and working with a Pro weekly. The end result has been more than I ever dreamed off. Not that we didn't have bumps in the road, but we got by them. Some of the things we did in training that I wondered why…well I don't wonder anymore. Sooner or later you'll see the reason in the field. Like the land, water, land, water marks we practice, we'll it paid off this year on Drake Blackhead, fell out at about 175 yards. She went right to it, made it look simple. Two years ago I'd never thought a dog could retrieve that. Nor did I think you could get a dog 100 percent steady without a rope around its neck. Or run a long open water blind. I've had good hunting dogs in the past that would put meat on the table. But, a really trained one will do everything they would do, and so much more, without ever raising your blood pressure.

The reason for this post is to encourage you guys that are just starting out, be patient, get with a Pro and stay on a program. The rewards for me have been a dream come true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.